October 2019 Favorite Uploads

Rico

Wild Indri lemur (Indri indri), Parc Mitsinjo, Andasibe, Madagascar Stock Photo

Habituated wild indri lemur, Parc Mitsinjo, Andasibe, Madagascar. Was so lovely to see that they are successfully breeding in secondary rainforest around the village.

• Love 1

I post landscapes in this thread regularly, but not because I am trying to "promote" them (They rarely get sold anyways) .  I am an amateur photographer that really enjoys great outdoors;  my posts are simply an attempt to share some of beautiful places I have seen and maybe have someone find similar beauty.

These shots were taken Oct 10, '19 and uploaded to Alamy over the following weekend.  They are from relatively less visited area of Canadian Rockies called "Skoki".   Most people have heard about Lake Louise;  Skoki is on the other side of Trans-Canada Highway.  Beautiful compact area dotted with blue lakes, meadows and faraway peaks.  For you UK guys -- Kate Middleton and Prince William stayed in back-country Skoki Lodge couple of years ago.

I try to visit for larch season ever autumn;  but this year early snow totally changed the scenery.  In ~20 years that I've been visiting Skoki I can't quite remember such sublime beauty.   Big lake featured on photos below is called "Ptarmigan Lake", and it takes 2 - 2.5 hrs of hiking from parking lot (one way).

isolated-larch-tree-frozen-mountain-lake

sweeping-wide-panoramic-landscape-distan

sunset-colors-frozen-ice-covered-mountai

From photography perspective:   All these panos were taken with little Sony Rx 100,  pocket camera I absolutely adore.   So handy and practical when you are hiking long hours in backcountry.   Recently I had to upgrade from Mk 1, and based on several recommendations purchased Mk 3.   It is the same sensor, but lens is different (24-70  versus 28-100);  there is little viewfinder which is mostly a toy, and tilting screen -- also a toy in my book.  But I find upgrade worth extra $$ because of significantly better ISO handling.   Specially the bottom pano which was already in low light;  I expected quite a bit of grain, but came out very clean.   So cudos for that;  it would be shame not to be able to upload landscape with such great light because it suffered from excessive grain/noise.

But, despite all the Sony Rx rant - I still carry SLR in my backpack.  Pic below was taken with Canon 6D and 24-105L lens at ISO 125 on same day.  What I really like is these unreal reflections of mountain peaks in iced lake surface:

reflection-of-snowy-mountain-peaks-in-fr

Thank you for reading, and apologies for such a long post;   again I hope fellow Alamy photographers can feel some of same sense of awe and wonder I did when I was taking them. Cheers!

• Love 6
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

A relaxed moment at one of several nice pubs here in Liverpool centre. This is the Railway Pub.

Taking pix of old geezers in pubs is one of the reasons I've acquired a Sony RX100 III. I live near Hull (on the opposite coast to Liverpool), and both cities have some fantastic - and photogenic - pubs...

senior-man-sitting-in-the-fleece-inn-bretforton-near-evesham-worcestershire-FJ0KWD.jpg
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

I don't know why but "pub" sounds better to me than "bar". I can imagine spending some time in a pub. I avoid bars.

Paulette, the British pub is one of our better inventions. Edo is hopefully treating himself to a beer or two in one of Liverpool's splendid Victorian pubs, decorated with fancy tiling.

The pub in my (tiny) village has been closed for four months... and I didn't really think it would open again. But a young couple have taken over the tenancy, and the Black Swan will soon be open for business once again. Pubs are democratic spaces where - in theory - everyone is welcome. Cheers!

I wonder why we have managed to lose that part of our British inheritance. Bars are usually so awful. The only alcohol I am likely to consume is a Mexican beer or a Guinness (which I consider food.).

Paulette

Three from a recent visit to Old Montreal, Quebec. These are heavily photographed subjects, but I like them anyway. All captured with my Sony a6000 and Sony lenses.

Place d'Armes

wide-angle-view-of-place-darmes-in-old-m

Main alter in the Notre Dame Basilica

main-altar-inside-notre-dame-basilica-ol

Dome of the Bonsecours Market with La Grand Roue de Montréal ferris wheel in background

dome-of-the-marche-bonsecours-market-wit

• Love 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

I don't know why but "pub" sounds better to me than "bar". I can imagine spending some time in a pub. I avoid bars.

Paulette

Completely agree! Pubs tend to be cozy and warm and have the possibility of good food and music.

Able to find lots of fun graffiti ‘Street Art’ in London on this trip. Goodbye London 👋

Blurred man walks by a street art mural by Nathan Bowen in London, England UK

blurred-man-walks-by-a-street-art-mural-

Street Art mural by British graffiti artist Stik in London, England, UK 

street-art-mural-by-british-graffiti-art

Rest In Peace Stan Lee street art mural in Shoreditch, London, England UK

rest-in-peace-stan-lee-street-art-mural-

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lisa said:

Rest In Peace Stan Lee street art mural in Shoreditch, London, England UK

rest-in-peace-stan-lee-street-art-mural-

Are these types of shots acceptable by Alamy?  Think I had an email last year from customer relations, some time after image similar to this one passed QA, notifying me that they are not able to license it

3 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Are these types of shots acceptable by Alamy?  Think I had an email last year from customer relations, some time after image similar to this one passed QA, notifying me that they are not able to license it

I believe that murals are okay but must be marked for editorial use only.

Camping by a campfire on the beach at sunset in Far North Queensland, Australia

2A3RDXP.jpg

Campsite at Elim Beach, near Cooktown, Far North Queensland

2A3RFCB.jpg

Tangled aerial roots of a paperbark tree (the white ones) and mangrove (the black ones) on the beach, Elim Beach, Far North Queensland,

2A3RFHA.jpg

• Like 1

Archer Point, near Cooktown, Far North Queensland, Australia (looks like Scotland, doesn't it?)

Super windy there, the trade winds broke one of my motorhome windows. But what a view for free camping!

2A3PX9H.jpg

2A3PXGD.jpg

I got caught in stinging rain and was thoroughly drenched along with my camera.

2A3PXK8.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

... and have sufficient "context", although I've had some deleted that I thought had plenty of context.

That makes sense.   I think "my mural" was without any context & this would explain it.  Thanks John and Micheal