Autumn leaves are selling?

John Mitchell

Autumn is a wonderful season for photography up here in the cool, blue (sometimes) North. But, I wonder, do all those lovely images of multicoloured "autumn leaves" (177, 514 on Alamy last I checked) sell very well? Does anyone have any fall testimonials to share (and I don't mean "falling" prices)?

Hey John, I was thinking the same thing today as I was driving home from town.  Just my driveway, which has maples up and down both sides looks great. But I figured the competition for these kinds of shots must be huge.

I have given up on this.

Your north American / Canadian autumn leaves are bigger and much more colourful than the Danish.

But you have better pastries. ;)

Actually, Jill Morgan above lives in prime autumn leaves territory. Out here on the west coast of Canada, we have mainly coniferous trees, but we still do get some wonderful colours.

Looking through my sales, this is the only one of my few autumn photos (shot in Vancouver) that has leased on Alamy. Don't know if the buyer was interested in the church or the golden leaves, however.

CYKE6N.jpg

The leaves get blown of the trees by wind and rain in the UK before you get to photograph them usually.

As a subject, pretty much done to death!

The situation is similar in Vancouver. Once the rain and wind set in during late October, it's all over. However, we do have roughly a three-week window of opportunity, starting about now.

John, I don't have a ton of autumn shots and I don't think I have made any sales because of fall color. While beautiful to look at I think fall leaves can hurt sales, making images too season specific. Now having said that, there are some places in the USA that are known well for their fall color and maybe it would be good to shoot there if they haven't been shot to death already.

(A couple of weeks ago a newspaper contacted me because they needed a fall foliage scene, from this area, for their cover, but I didn't have a single one. Most of my landscapes are of marshland, but I never realized I had such a gaping hole in my portfolio until then.)

The situation is similar in Vancouver. Once the rain and wind set in during late October, it's all over. However, we do have roughly a three-week window of opportunity, starting about now.

Yes, a brief period here before it all gets rained away.  The colours are starting to look really nice now.  See you out there!

They may not sell very well on Alamy as stock, but surely this is just the sort of thing that is ideal for someone's wall?  Get some beautiful images up on some POD sites!

...or even just take some for your own wellbeing: being out there on a beautiful Autumn (Fall) day makes you feel alive and will give you something nice to put on your own wall / Website.

They may not sell very well on Alamy as stock, but surely this is just the sort of thing that is ideal for someone's wall?  Get some beautiful images up on some POD sites!

...or even just take some for your own wellbeing: being out there on a beautiful Autumn (Fall) day makes you feel alive and will give you something nice to put on your own wall / Website.

True, I put images like these on my Fine Art America site as well. A lot of other people seem to have had the same idea, though. The fact of the matter is that there are now almost as many photos of autumn leaves out there as there are actual leaves hanging from the trees. However, that's true about a lot of other subjects as well. So I figure there's no point in letting this situation stop me from having a little fun photographing things that I enjoy. Life is too short to be always thinking about the bottom line. 

So I figure there's no point in letting this situation stop me from having a little fun photographing things that I enjoy. Life is too short to be always thinking about the bottom line. 

Have a green one from me for that comment. Couldn't agree more.

Allan

So I figure there's no point in letting this situation stop me from having a little fun photographing things that I enjoy. Life is too short to be always thinking about the bottom line. 

Have a green one from me for that comment. Couldn't agree more.

Allan

Thanks, I've started to collect greenies. Here's one for you.

Alamy News ask quite a lot for pics of Autumn. I don't understand why because with that back catalogue of images there should be a few in there that fit the bill. They created a lightbox from their faves and I admit at the time I was surprised at the quality of the images compared to my own. Worlds apart from a local stroll in the park. 

Alamy News ask quite a lot for pics of Autumn. I don't understand why because with that back catalogue of images there should be a few in there that fit the bill.

The important word there is NEWS

they want pics of autumn leaves made today/yesterday.....newspapers arent going to illustrate an intem on the weather in the UK this weekend with a library image made years ago

km

I've made a few sales via Live News during September, is there a big difference in the fee

between stock and news? I guess i'll have to wait until they appear in sales. Could be a longish

wait. Still waiting for a double page Guardian news image to be reported from April.

Joe

Checked out my 900 or so sales. No autumn. Quite a few spring, snow, full summer and in retrospect a very high proportion of specific things. In fact looking over my sales this way is sort of groundhog day. The same stuff shows up over, and over, and over again.

Archived