Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Young said:

Hi Andremichel.

I can't believe this.

Just do the sums then. 

There is some guess work as I don't know how many of the images are from individuals instead of agencies or how much of the revenue goes to individuals instead of agencies. 

 

I assumed $9 million net goes to individual contributors. There are 90,000 of them. 

Edited by andremichel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I have 2,604 pics in my port and I average approx 9 sales per month so the '1 sale per 1000' thing is completely wrong.

Thank you for your personal information:)

Somebody told me once that Alamy is focused on photos of UK.

I just wandered that my collection is international and doesn't appeal to buyers.

Of course I have mountains of works to be done when it come to captions, keywording and above all my english.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Exceptionally lucky, nothing special about my pics!

 

Colblimp, you do lots of Live News, which is less down to luck and more to do with hard work, and therefore deserving of the higher than average sales you receive. The 1 per 1000 is more typical for generic soft editorial portfolios such as mine where people such as I are shooting what is relatively easily accessible to them and hoping the subject becomes newsworthy sometime soon. 

 

The OP has a good range of pictures and is obviously well-travelled. Where such travels are to popular tourist spots then there will be a lot more competition for sales. Try to find the unusual  picture (angle or subject detail) that others have missed, to help you stand out. I would echo what has already been said about converging lines,  keywords and captions. Focus more on the main subject of the picture and don't try to include everything which might be in the picture - too many keywords tend to be harmful in the long run. One example I spotted was the term 'sunny' on an indoor picture of a butcher, which would have no relevance for a buyer using the search term 'sunny'. There is no magic wand to wave over your portfolio to magically improve sales, but tighter keywording will bring rewards in time.

I like my man bag (for me, utility bag) especially during the summer when I am not wearing a coat with deep pockets in which to to stuff all my bits and pieces.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Young said:

He wears a special cloth made of local black sheep skin

Then put it in the caption and keywords!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I have 2,604 pics in my port and I average approx 9 sales per month so the '1 sale per 1000' thing is completely wrong.

It's not far off mine.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Young said:

Thank you for your personal information:)

Somebody told me once that Alamy is focused on photos of UK.

I just wandered that my collection is international and doesn't appeal to buyers.

Of course I have mountains of works to be done when it come to captions, keywording and above all my english.

I live in the UK and about half my sales by volume are non-UK. Variety is more significant.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I have 2,604 pics in my port and I average approx 9 sales per month so the '1 sale per 1000' thing is completely wrong.

Q

 

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I have 2,604 pics in my port and I average approx 9 sales per month so the '1 sale per 1000' thing is completely wrong.

 

Yes, I think your images do exceptionally well!

 

my sales follow the 1 per 1000 image rule generally speaking with 1-3 sales/ month, but then again I was never exceptional in anything 😀

 

p.s. I don’t do man bags or capris 

Edited by njene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm going to form a 'man bag wearing photographers club' :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the 1 in 1000 is a general rule of thumb, I've been getting 2 per month since my images went over 2,000, at the end of 2016, but i've read on here that uploading regularly also helps, which I haven't done a lot of lately myself, as my laptop became too slow and my freelance work became busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

 

Colblimp, you do lots of Live News, which is less down to luck and more to do with hard work, and therefore deserving of the higher than average sales you receive. The 1 per 1000 is more typical for generic soft editorial portfolios such as mine where people such as I are shooting what is relatively easily accessible to them and hoping the subject becomes newsworthy sometime soon. 

 

The OP has a good range of pictures and is obviously well-travelled. Where such travels are to popular tourist spots then there will be a lot more competition for sales. Try to find the unusual  picture (angle or subject detail) that others have missed, to help you stand out. I would echo what has already been said about converging lines,  keywords and captions. Focus more on the main subject of the picture and don't try to include everything which might be in the picture - too many keywords tend to be harmful in the long run. One example I spotted was the term 'sunny' on an indoor picture of a butcher, which would have no relevance for a buyer using the search term 'sunny'. There is no magic wand to wave over your portfolio to magically improve sales, but tighter keywording will bring rewards in time.

I like my man bag (for me, utility bag) especially during the summer when I am not wearing a coat with deep pockets in which to to stuff all my bits and pieces.

Hi Joseph.

 

I see. Colblimp has lots of Live New, and my photos are general editorial only.

I didn't think of it.

 

unusual  picture (angle or subject detail). I surely have to lean a lot more.

 

I put every single details as keyword, for I was obsessed having 40 keywords to have " good discoverability".

For example "No people" was my usual keyword, I'll stop using it cause "People" would be chosen as keyword and meaning woud change completely. ,,

 

Bags are important for photographers in my opinion:) I use backpack.

 

Thank you for your advice.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Then put it in the caption and keywords!

I've just done!

And now I have to do keywording and captions from the beginning again,,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I live in the UK and about half my sales by volume are non-UK. Variety is more significant.

Hi.

I'm glad to hear that.

My problem is  I do only tourism based on photos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisC said:

I think the 1 in 1000 is a general rule of thumb, I've been getting 2 per month since my images went over 2,000, at the end of 2016, but i've read on here that uploading regularly also helps, which I haven't done a lot of lately myself, as my laptop became too slow and my freelance work became busy.

Hi Chris.

I regularly uploaded but nothing changed.

Still again, keywording and captions are bad cause for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

What about 'fanny packs' :D

I have an awesome one of those - holds my purse my phone and 300mm lens in the main compartment and has pockets for 2 500ml bottles plus smaller compartments.  Oh and I call it a  "bum bag" despite the fact I hardly ever wear it behind me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Young said:

I put every single details as keyword, for I was obsessed having 40 keywords to have " good discoverability".

For example "No people" was my usual keyword, I'll stop using it cause "People" would be chosen as keyword and meaning woud change completely. ,,

 

Instead of "no people" try "nobody".  It doesn't crop up often but won't lead to false returns when it does.

 

Pearl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Young said:

Hi Chris.

I regularly uploaded but nothing changed.

Still again, keywording and captions are bad cause for me.

 

Mexico is a complicated place. You really have to do a lot of research for captions and keywords, but it should pay off in the long run.

 

FWIW, I've been averaging 10-12 sales per month for several years now despite continually adding new images, so I don't know how accurate that 'one sale per 1000 images' is any longer. So far this year, I'm averaging 17 per month, but it's only March 2nd. It could be all downhill from here. :lol:

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Young said:

delete

 

 

 

 

Edited by MizBrown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tejate-traditional-drink-based-on-cacao-and-corn-for-god-at-tlacolula-market-oaxaca-mexico-RN7083.jpg

 

You have a lot of great images like this one but the keywords are very general and you are missing obvious ones such as Tejate, traditional drink,  cacao,  corn,  (what god is this drink for?- add that to caption and to keywords), Tlacolula market, Oaxaca Mexico, traditional Mexican market, woman serving drink, Latina woman, (what State in Mexico? - add that), authentic, real people, food stall, food stand, street food, indigenous, latin, Central America, Mexican food. I'm sure there are a few more.

Check out this site: http://microstockgroup.com/tools/keyword.php I know it says micro but if you put in your primary keywords, it might give you some other ideas. I did these off the top of my head but I put in "Mexico, Oaxaca, and food stall" and it gave me many more options. Check it out. Great portfolio. You need better keywords, particularly more specific ones. Good luck!

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Young said:

Thank you for your personal information:)

Somebody told me once that Alamy is focused on photos of UK.

I just wandered that my collection is international and doesn't appeal to buyers.

Of course I have mountains of works to be done when it come to captions, keywording and above all my english.

I believe it was recently noted that Alamy is now doing better in the US.

... ... Ah yes, "The USA office brings in more business than the UK office" from the first post here:
https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/11087-cambridge-alamy-group-meeting-with-james-allsworth-from-alamy-summary/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the other Alamy photographers suggested trying as much as possible to take a photograph of one person doing something.   Crowd shots can be tricky, I think.  Maybe do as the food photo pros do and have one person be the focus of the shot, with the rest of the crowd as background. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChrisC said:

I think the 1 in 1000 is a general rule of thumb, I've been getting 2 per month since my images went over 2,000, at the end of 2016, but i've read on here that uploading regularly also helps, which I haven't done a lot of lately myself, as my laptop became too slow and my freelance work became busy.

 

I think the average of those who reported numbers in the "how was your 2017" thread was about 16 sales / 1000 images / year. So about 1.3 sales / month / 1,000 images

But individual performance varies greatly, some exceeded 6 sales / month/ 1,000 images, whereas others didn't reach 0.5 sales / month / 1,000 images.

 

In 2018 had 67 sales from ~4,000 images last year. So about 1.4 sales / month / 1,000 images.

My net income was about $1,100. Giving a net income of only ~$0.25 / image / year.

I must learn to do better, probably too many similars and "also ran" images :( 

 

Mark

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pearl said:

Instead of "no people" try "nobody".  It doesn't crop up often but won't lead to false returns when it does.

 

Pearl

Hi Pearl

I'm getting rid of " no people " and also " no one" . And also "photography" and "image". In my opinion, it's nonsense as keyword.

Thank you.:)

`

By the way, my photo below is searched as "wolf of wall street", but actually in Alamy search engine, there are many photos of the movie called "wolf of wall street".

Well in this case, I just leave the key word as " wolf" "wall" "street".

testaccio area, rome, italy

- Image ID: MM3R86
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Mexico is a complicated place. You really have to do a lot of research for captions and keywords, but it should pay off in the long run.

 

FWIW, I've been averaging 10-12 sales per month for several years now despite continually adding new images, so I don't know how accurate that 'one sale per 1000 images' is any longer. So far this year, I'm averaging 17 per month, but it's only March 2nd. It could be all downhill from here. :lol:

Hi Pearl.

Yes, It's complicated place.

Researching is very interesting but it needs a lot of time,,,l feel like preparing for an exam at school.:wacko:

As you say, i hope it'll pay off.:)

I wish you good luck, this month has just started!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Young said:

Hi Pearl

I'm getting rid of " no people " and also " no one" . And also "photography" and "image". In my opinion, it's nonsense as keyword.

Thank you.:)

`

By the way, my photo below is searched as "wolf of wall street", but actually in Alamy search engine, there are many photos of the movie called "wolf of wall street".

Well in this case, I just leave the key word as " wolf" "wall" "street".

testaccio area, rome, italy

- Image ID: MM3R86
 
 

Unfortunately, that's the super-annoying way the search engine works. I'm astonished buyers don't get fed up with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.