Hello everyone.

I have difficulty in selling my photos on Alamy site.

I thought that one of the reason is because of keywording, so I tried to work on keywording from 2007 (the year I started uploadings photos on Alamy site) up to 2012.(Still today I work on keywording.)

However my sale doesn't increase at all.

So can somebody give me kindly some objective advice?

Have a nice weekend.

Hi Young,

This might not necessarily have too much to do with your photos selling or not, but you have a lot of photos of buildings where you have converging verticals (it looks like the building is leaning forwards or backwards). The vertical lines of the building are not vertical in a lot of your photos.

This is a really easy fix - under 'transform' in Lightroom you can use the 'auto' command' or 'vertical' command. I assume other software can do it just as easily.

Have a good weekend too.

Steve

25 minutes ago, Young said:

Hi Matt.

No mine is around 4000.

What is the average then?

The average used to be 1 sale per 1000 images per month. It may be slightly less than that now.

4 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

The average used to be 1 sale per 1000 images per month. It may be slightly less than that now.

Hi Thysis

Really? so my case would be 4 photos per month,,,

18 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Young,

This might not necessarily have too much to do with your photos selling or not, but you have a lot of photos of buildings where you have converging verticals (it looks like the building is leaning forwards or backwards). The vertical lines of the building are not vertical in a lot of your photos.

This is a really easy fix - under 'transform' in Lightroom you can use the 'auto' command' or 'vertical' command. I assume other software can do it just as easily.

Have a good weekend too.

Steve

Hi Steve.

Thank you for your advice.

I normally use Lightroom to correct the angle, but I have to see it carefully.

Maybe I didn't do it enough.

Hi Young, no worries. Here are some off your first two pages:

RN6EEB and RN6EE3 leaning backwards.

Templo y convento de san agustin, Oaxaca, mexico - Stock Image

RGT0M3 leaning forwards.

Montmartre under snow, Paris, France - Stock Image

RGT15F leaning backwards.

Basilica Sacre Coeur in Montmartre under snow, Paris, France - Stock Image

RGD8PJ leaning backwards and slightly to the right.

Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman, oaxaca, mexico - Stock Image

RGT0N1 Leaning backwards

RFKJDH leaning forwards.

Palais Royal garden under snow, Paris, France - Stock Image

RFKJE7 leaning backwards

Palais Royal garden and the Conseil d'État, the Constitutional Council, and the Ministry of Culture, Palais Royal, Paris, France, Paris, France - Stock Image

RFKJDK leaning forwards

RF9GA6 leaning forwards

The town hall , El Tule, Oaxaca, Mexico - Stock Image

RF9GA4 leaning backwards

I like the Paris snow pics by the way!
Steve

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Young, no worries. Here are some off your first two pages:

RN6EEB and RN6EE3 leaning backwards.

Templo y convento de san agustin, Oaxaca, mexico - Stock Image

RGT0M3 leaning forwards.

Montmartre under snow, Paris, France - Stock Image

RGT15F leaning backwards.

RGD8PJ leaning backwards and slightly to the right.

Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman, oaxaca, mexico - Stock Image

RGT0N1 Leaning backwards

RFKJDH leaning forwards.

RFKJE7 leaning backwards

Palais Royal garden and the Conseil d'État, the Constitutional Council, and the Ministry of Culture, Palais Royal, Paris, France, Paris, France - Stock Image

RFKJDK leaning forwards

RF9GA6 leaning forwards

RF9GA4 leaning backwards

I like the Paris snow pics by the way!
Steve

I'll working on the angle of my photos.

I realized that I don't really watch out for "forward" ones.:o

It's even worse than backward one,,,

I appreciate your advice.

Young

2 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

So does my brother but it's weird :lol:

It's useful.  As a self proclaimed dull man, I can hold all my necessary bits and pieces without filling up the pockets in my jeans, or sometimes cords (as I'm striving to be a very dull man!)

44 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

You have some great local images, I think you need to work more carefully on your captions, keywords. For example:

'senior local man in the street, San Juan Chamula, Chiapas, Mexico.' doesn't tell me anything about the picture, here in Europe you don't see many men wearing Hats, fluffy black jumpers and a man bag! so I would focus on the clothing.

My caption: Mexican man wearing traditional (hat*), (fluffy jumper*) and (man bag*) sits on a ceramic tiled bench using his mobile phone, San Juan Chamula, Chiapas, Mexico

*change this to whatever they happen to be called :D

If none of that is traditional change it to Eccentric Mexican man... :lol:

Hi Lawrenson.

I find myself helpless when it comes to captions.

That photo was difficult to work on.

He wears a special cloth made of local black sheep skin and a bag( like you say men don't wear bags:) in Europe,), and on plus he uses his mobile, I should have mentioned it.

By the way, working on captions,sometimes I find myself ridiculous putting too much information, :huh:however the more is better than less, maybe,,,

Eccentric :D

Thank you

2 hours ago, Young said:

Hi Matt.

No mine is around 4000.

What is the average then?

The average contributor if he/she exists has 1000 images and earns $100 net per year. 

This estimate is based on Alamy's turnover, total images and total contributors, active and non active. 

3 minutes ago, andremichel said:

The average contributor if he/she exists has 1000 images and earns $100 net per year. 

This estimate is based on Alamy's turnover, total images and total contributors, active and non active. 

Hi Andremichel.

I can't believe this.

3 minutes ago, Matt Limb said:

Sorry typo ... should have been 4000 ... as stated above 1 sale per month per 1000 is good going

No problme. Ok, 1 sale per month per 1000,,

I compared with other people on forum,  and I noticed that even people with less than 4000 photos could sell more than me.

That's why I really wandered why.( Technic , subject etc,,)

23 minutes ago, Young said:

Hi Andremichel.

I can't believe this.

Just do the sums then. 

There is some guess work as I don't know how many of the images are from individuals instead of agencies or how much of the revenue goes to individuals instead of agencies. 

I assumed $9 million net goes to individual contributors. There are 90,000 of them. 

3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I have 2,604 pics in my port and I average approx 9 sales per month so the '1 sale per 1000' thing is completely wrong.

Thank you for your personal information:)

Somebody told me once that Alamy is focused on photos of UK.

I just wandered that my collection is international and doesn't appeal to buyers.

Of course I have mountains of works to be done when it come to captions, keywording and above all my english.

5 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Exceptionally lucky, nothing special about my pics!

Colblimp, you do lots of Live News, which is less down to luck and more to do with hard work, and therefore deserving of the higher than average sales you receive. The 1 per 1000 is more typical for generic soft editorial portfolios such as mine where people such as I are shooting what is relatively easily accessible to them and hoping the subject becomes newsworthy sometime soon. 

The OP has a good range of pictures and is obviously well-travelled. Where such travels are to popular tourist spots then there will be a lot more competition for sales. Try to find the unusual  picture (angle or subject detail) that others have missed, to help you stand out. I would echo what has already been said about converging lines,  keywords and captions. Focus more on the main subject of the picture and don't try to include everything which might be in the picture - too many keywords tend to be harmful in the long run. One example I spotted was the term 'sunny' on an indoor picture of a butcher, which would have no relevance for a buyer using the search term 'sunny'. There is no magic wand to wave over your portfolio to magically improve sales, but tighter keywording will bring rewards in time.

I like my man bag (for me, utility bag) especially during the summer when I am not wearing a coat with deep pockets in which to to stuff all my bits and pieces.

Archived