32 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Unfortunately, that's the super-annoying way the search engine works. I'm astonished buyers don't get fed up with it.

It's true.

If there is a FORUM FOR BUYER, they must complain about it.

36 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Sometimes you have accurate keywords that can just come up in totally incorrect searches.  For example, I have a sheep with the appearance known as "badger faced" - this is the correct term but does mean my sheep appears in searches for badgers (along with other sheep correctly keyworded).  Throw in the fact it was taken at a local white horse monument and the location is also included in the keywords and that image is prime for incorrect results - but the keywords are accurate.

I must admit I think the best one I had is someone searched for "social worker" and my port threw up an image of a wasp. 

badger faced, amazing story.

"social worker" and "wasp" !. Very funny:lol:

45 minutes ago, Young said:

badger faced, amazing story.

"social worker" and "wasp" !. Very funny:lol:

It may seem funny, but we have to admit that some wasps live together in a nest, so they do consider social (the majority of wasp species are solitary), the social wasps build the nest together, so they are workers too. :)

I think that many times they are more sociable and more arduous workers than human beings.;)

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I think the average of those who reported numbers in the "how was your 2017" thread was about 16 sales / 1000 images / year. So about 1.3 sales / month / 1,000 images

But individual performance varies greatly, some exceeded 6 sales / month/ 1,000 images, whereas others didn't reach 0.5 sales / month / 1,000 images.

In 2018 had 67 sales from ~4,000 images last year. So about 1.4 sales / month / 1,000 images.

My net income was about $1,100. Giving a net income of only ~$0.25 / image / year.

I must learn to do better, probably too many similars and "also ran" images :( 

Mark

Hi Mark

Either I need a new calculator, or you do? with 67 sales per year, my calculator says that's 5.58 sales per month, not 1.4 per month, so it is above the 1 sale per thousand per month, or did you then divide 5.58 by 4 (for 4000) also?

Whatever, it's more than the OP is getting and so therefore maybe it is the keywording?

Thanks Chris

5 hours ago, Young said:

Hi Mz Brown.

My photographer friend told me taking photos of people doing something.

The thing is I have to enjoy :)

You're selling average numbers, not better than average numbers, for a range of reasons.   Images probably sell better that answer who, what, where, when, how for illustrating an event, place, or action.   If you're happy with the sales you're getting, keep on shooting as you enjoy shooting.  

Otherwise, consider what everyone has been saying.

8 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Hi Mark

Either I need a new calculator, or you do? with 67 sales per year, my calculator says that's 5.58 sales per month, not 1.4 per month, so it is above the 1 sale per thousand per month, or did you then divide 5.58 by 4 (for 4000) also?

Whatever, it's more than the OP is getting and so therefore maybe it is the keywording?

Thanks Chris

No problem with my calculator.

67 sales from 4,000 images over 12 months is equivalent to  67 / 12 / 4 = 1.4 sales / month / 1,000 images.

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

No problem with my calculator.

67 sales from 4,000 images over 12 months is equivalent to  67 / 12 / 4 = 1.4 sales / month / 1,000 images.

I'm with you now 😂 yeah I meant the same thing, still for the OP above the 1 per thousand, so with +4000 he should be getting 4 sales over month, like yourself

Thanks

Chris

17 hours ago, spacecadet said:

+1 for the microstock group keyword tool. It can save a bit of time on new subjects where you're not copying and pasting from elsewhere in your port. But use it sparingly and tightly.

Hi Spacecadet.

I'll try two tools for the time being.

I was obsessed with numbers, but I'll focus on quality of keywords.

Keywording would be a life consuming but I do my best.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, elacoste said:

1 sale per 1000 photos month. I am definitely doing something wrong here. 

Hope I figure it out quickly.

Well, in my humble opinion, you have way to many similars, this will probably be affecting your ranking. In fact some of your images look identical.

For example you have 14 images captioned 'Malaysian Bird' and 27 close ups of a stork. Keep the best 3 or 4 of each and delete the rest.

Also your captioning and keywording need a lot of work. Both need to be much more accurate.  Look at your American flag image  BPD8C5  - the keywords are obviously from a different image!

You have some great images that should sell if you work on tightening your collection.

9 hours ago, elacoste said:

Thanks for the advice. Let's see how I can move forward with it.

Not only similars, but identicals, e.g.
E6737G, E6737F, EF2XYY and EF2XYY

EF2R3B and EF2R2X   - EF2RFD and EF2RFK

You have thee pairs of two of the boy with the squirrel, and probably only one of them is really necessary.

EF2TB7  and EF2TAY 

and many, many more identicals or near-identicals.

It actually gets worse and worse as I looked through your portfolio. Page 3 has repeats of many pics on page 2, and duplicates of pics you already have twice on page 1. What on earth are you trying to do???

18 hours ago, elacoste said:

1 sale per 1000 photos month. I am definitely doing something wrong here. 

Hope I figure it out quickly.

Definitely agree with Thyrsis that you have far too many similars; also agree your captioning needs improving - for example your images of a white tiger are captioned "white tiget"

Kumar

On 05/03/2019 at 09:42, David Pimborough said:

Image ID: P4Y0WF

"Salvation Army Truck and Trailer"? You need to correct that description along with the keywords

The Salvation Army Truck and Trailer Stock Photo

How did I miss that. Really don't like the new keyword tool.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Based on a thread in the other forum, I need to do some spring cleaning to my portfolio. 

• To many similar images
  • Caption
  • Keywords

What I am hoping is that I can do this in bulk of some form. Ideally, can I search all my images using a keyword and have them show up in the keyboarding too? How?

If not, what method would you recommend? 

Where do I delete similar or duplicate images?

On animals and flower, scientific name or not?

Thanks ahead of time,

Emmanuel

1 hour ago, elacoste said:

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Based on a thread in the other forum, I need to do some spring cleaning to my portfolio. 

• To many similar images
  • Caption
  • Keywords

What I am hoping is that I can do this in bulk of some form. Ideally, can I search all my images using a keyword and have them show up in the keyboarding too? How?

If not, what method would you recommend? 

Where do I delete similar or duplicate images?

On animals and flower, scientific name or not?

Thanks ahead of time,

Emmanuel

1. Yes  In Image Manager, the default view is 'filters', but if you change that to 'search' you can search by keyword/s.

Search IM.jpg
2. You will need to ask Contributor Relations to delete the duplicate and similar images for you.
(You can delete your own images, but it takes six months for them to go)

3. Yes, add scientific names, why wouldn't you?

On 02/03/2019 at 12:49, Colblimp said:

I have 2,604 pics in my port and I average approx 9 sales per month so the '1 sale per 1000' thing is completely wrong.

Hi, Andy

May I ask if your 9 or so sales a month are Stock or News?

Edo

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Hi, Andy

May I ask if your 9 or so sales a month are Stock or News?

Edo

Hi Ed, mainly news now, but some stock.  I've decided if news sells, that's what I'm going to concentrate on.  I'll be in the UK for a week from this Wednesday, so I'll shoot a bunch of stock as well as news.

Thanks, Andy -- that's what I thought. I don't do News anymore myself. It's too much like . . . work. You understand it and do a pro job.

I think it was John in Vancouver who was implying that RF is the unavoidable future. Maybe, but all my images are RM and will remain so as long as possible. My sales numbers are not bad and my prices better. 

In Brooklyn, they call a man bag a man purse. In Oxford, I heard one guy call them Nancy bags. I have a pink and green Domke with a fetching flower motif on one side I could let you have for a very attractive price. You would be the Talk of Cork. 

Edo

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Andy -- that's what I thought. I don't do News anymore myself. It's too much like . . . work. You understand it and do a pro job.

I think it was John in Vancouver who was implying that RF is the unavoidable future. Maybe, but all my images are RM and will remain so as long as possible. My sales numbers are not bad and my prices better. 

In Brooklyn, they call a man bag a man purse. In Oxford, I heard one guy call them Nancy bags. I have a pink and green Domke with a fetching flower motif on one side I could let you have for a very attractive price. You would be the Talk of Cork. 

Edo

News is difficult for me in that I live in the middle of nowhere.  The nearest city to me is Cork, which is 100KM away. A lot of my success is down to pure luck, rather than hard work!  Mind you, I spend a long time poring over the various news channels - websites/Twitter/FB/local papers/radio etc so I guess you could call it work...

All my images are RM and I intend to keep it that way for as long as I can.

Your pink and green would be very fetching on my shoulder, but, for now, I'll stick to my dull beige man bag, which I bought in Malaga last year.  My journey to complete dullness is going well!!! 😂

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have a pink and green Domke with a fetching flower motif on one side I could let you have for a very attractive price. You would be the Talk of Cork. 

Edo

Hmm. Still on grey and black here.

I did buy a bright red watch strap last month though. And I do wear a parakeet feather in my houndstooth trilby.

Sorry, hijacking and showing off.

Has The Parakeet Equality Society heard about this hat feather thing, Mark? 

OK, OK, I'll get back on the subject and give some advice to Young, our OP. 

Young, Stock is a long game. We've both been at it for a decade. We both should have uploaded at least 10 to 12 K images at this point. I only have 6,000. And you have just 4,000. You don't shoot enough. And as has already been said, being sloppy about composition is not going to work in your favor. 

A very good stock image has strong lighting, shape, color, and gesture. And understand that you're not going to get rich doing this. If you need or want to shoot mainly when you travel, you can't even expect to turn a profit. 

I lived in Summertown and Woodstock in the '80s. There are lots of stock subjects available in Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds.

Good luck. 

Archived