Number of Photographers on Alamy?

Looks like one of them algorythumses has got involved I seem to have 115 give or take a few (might try a few of them in the garden next year - I've got a few bean sticks left)  - sorry broad beans all gone, I've got a marrow which goes out to the stall when I can pump up the wheelbarrow wheel - it is about three feet long and pretty fat - I promise that I'll photograph it and submit a picture to Alamy.........

Looks like one of them algorythumses has got involved I seem to have 115 give or take a few (might try a few of them in the garden next year - I've got a few bean sticks left)  - sorry broad beans all gone, I've got a marrow which goes out to the stall when I can pump up the wheelbarrow wheel - it is about three feet long and pretty fat - I promise that I'll photograph it and submit a picture to Alamy.........

Make sure you position the barrow against a nice background...as I will keep my eye out for it on my travels around sussex  ;)   

Must try harder…..

Today, I too had had the encouraging news that I am among the top 500 photographers in Alamy for the last quarter !  (Seems to be number of sales)

Not sure how many there are of us contributing – and I’m not sure how encouraging this really is – because if I’m in the top 500 there must be some pretty dismal results for others down the line.

…..and it is nothing to do with photographic talent – I’ve looked at a number of portfolios in the past few months – many of which knock my eclectic mix of just over 4,800 images into a cocked hat.

To put it in context the vegetable stall at my garden gate where I sell surpluses from my garden crops earned almost exactly the same as my Alamy account’s net total…………Runner Beans anyone ?

Andy, what is the question ?  

I for one certainly don't hint at any elitism - like many things in Alamy it seems to be a matter of numbers and analysis - and geeing us up to try harder, I'd have been more motivated by an encouraging sale value or two.....

nope....but it's curious when others, with fewer transactions, are getting the message...

km

Agreed - seems strange - I also got the top 500 e-mail. I queried the meaning with MS in terms of whether it referred to numbers of images sold or gross value. They replied

""We select the top 500 photographers of the quarter depending on the total sales on the account"

which is a bit ambiguous. FWIW my figures for the previous quarter (Apr/May/June) are:

Images sold: 128

Gross value: $6122

I'm sure Redsnappers' figures are better than mine.

Cheers

Kumar

But are the results algorythemicallythingy slanted by using only a selection of approved buyers or something ?  This is one of the dangers of relying on computer aided statistically created results - what you get out depends on what you put in - and if the computer decides that then God help us....

It does seem a bit strange when Keith Morris who is one of the most professional and prolific contributors appears to be out of the top 500 - when he obviously isn't !

Shame really,  Alamy's heart is in the right place and what should have been a positive has now devalued itself a bit.......

what should have been a positive has now devalued itself a bit.......

Nonsense. My email is now printed out and framed. It hides a beer stain on the wall...

Like everything to do with Alamy stats, it doesn't quite ring true. But, in the final analysis, it's sales that count... and KM continues to put most of us to shame...

The ironic thing is that the email also said 

Our customers love your collection so remember to keep sending us your latest shoots and don't fall away from the pack

but my latest upload to pass QC has disappeared into the ether, as the pics are not waiting to be key worded in Manage Images, and my last upload is stuck in processing.  If only they could get the basics to work properly.

Pearl

^^ Maybe the size of the collection (40.19M now) really is taking it's toll (I have the same two probs. as you with the last couple of submissions).  I'd kinda like to say that despite it's size, they really should research a way of editing it (if not the current collection, then at least all new submissions), but I'm afraid that I'd be first out the door!

I'm guessing that - as has been suggested - this may be more a targeted e-mail, than 100% literal: encouraging those with decent sales to continue submitting on a grander scale?

Archived