Images Sold in September (one per day per contributor)

27 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Gen, please ID your beautiful animals. They are different than what we have in the U.S. and the curiosity is killing me!! :D

Hi Betty, this is an Australian Magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen), very common here. The swooping season is about to begin. They can cause nasty injuries. Some cyclists wear helmets with huge spikes on top. Funny looking and not always efficient.

Gen 

Gen, a lovely photo of one of my favourite birds. Betty, these birds can become very tame. I have a family, Mum, Dad & 3 babies from last year. The parents have been here for at least 10 years. Mum is nesting again & Dad carol's (that's magpie singing) loudly outside the bedroom window every morning to get breakfast to take to her. He and 2 of the youngsters eat from my hand. The youngsters are very naughty and enjoy swinging on my shower towel when it's airing on the line. This is one I took of them last week but not on Alamy.

Image may contain: bird and outdoor

2 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Gen, a lovely photo of one of my favourite birds. Betty, these birds can become very tame. I have a family, Mum, Dad & 3 babies from last year. The parents have been here for at least 10 years. Mum is nesting again & Dad carol's (that's magpie singing) loudly outside the bedroom window every morning to get breakfast to take to her. He and 2 of the youngsters eat from my hand. The youngsters are very naughty and enjoy swinging on my shower towel when it's airing on the line. This is one I took of them last week but not on Alamy.

Image may contain: bird and outdoor

I guess you have heard of the Magpie Whisperer? Amazing.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Gen, please ID your beautiful animals. They are different than what we have in the U.S. and the curiosity is killing me!! :D

Betty, depending on which thumbnail is used, if you just roll your mouse over the image, the image URL, including caption, will probably appear at the bottom of your screen.

gvallee, I first encountered this bird at nine when crossing a field in Warnambool, Victoria. For the first few times all I heard was a whooshing noise and on the third time saw the bird diving at me:o. Very, very frightened at that tender age. No the forth attack I shouted and waved my arms. It never came back and I lived to tell the tale. In England they are very shy birds.

Alan ( ex five pound pom )

australian-magpie-gymnorhina-tibicen-EJ6

23 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

gvallee, I first encountered this bird at nine when crossing a field in Warnambool, Victoria. For the first few times all I heard was a whooshing noise and on the third time saw the bird diving at me:o. Very, very frightened at that tender age. No the forth attack I shouted and waved my arms. It never came back and I lived to tell the tale. In England they are very shy birds.

Alan ( ex five pound pom )

australian-magpie-gymnorhina-tibicen-EJ6

They do have a formidable beak. You went back to the UK? I don't want to highjack this thread any longer than I already have, shame there's no more PM. Everyone's punished because of a few.

Gen 

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Betty, depending on which thumbnail is used, if you just roll your mouse over the image, the image URL, including caption, will probably appear at the bottom of your screen.

Ah, well, I do the forum on my iPad and I can’t see a way to do that. Thanks, though.

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

Hi Betty, this is an Australian Magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen), very common here. The swooping season is about to begin. They can cause nasty injuries. Some cyclists wear helmets with huge spikes on top. Funny looking and not always efficient.

Gen 

Thank you, Gen! I wondered if it was a Magpie. We have them in the U.S. but they look somewhat different than yours, I think. We don’t have them in my part of the country, but when we traveled west on vacation, I think I saw my first one possibly in Wyoming. Being a bird lover, I was thrilled to see something new. The next time we traveled, I had a book on North American birds in my hand.

I can understand wearing helmets. But injuring birds with spikes, who are just doing what their instincts tell them to do while protecting their nests? Not good.

My nephew, who has a Great Horned owl family on his farm, has been hit in the head twice. Bleeding results. But the most he does is wear a ball cap and nervously keep an eye out.  He loves those owls.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, Gen! I wondered if it was a Magpie. We have them in the U.S. but they look somewhat different than yours, I think. We don’t have them in my part of the country, but when we traveled west on vacation, I think I saw my first one possibly in Wyoming. Being a bird lover, I was thrilled to see something new. The next time we traveled, I had a book on North American birds in my hand.

I can understand wearing helmets. But injuring birds with spikes, who are just doing what their instincts tell them to do while protecting their nests? Not good.

My nephew, who has a Great Horned owl family on his farm, has been hit in the head twice. Bleeding results. But the most he does is wear a ball cap and nervously keep an eye out.  He loves those owls.

No fear Betty. I should have said they're plastic or rubber spikes, most of them homemade. Example here. Fetching or what?

1 hour ago, Hellonearth said:

Sale has been refunded within 24 hours. How can Alamy allow this? It was downloaded for PU use and now they have my image and their money back! 

That's shameful from Alamy to allow a buyer to do that.  Why not post a 'no refunds for PU' clause?  Makes me so angry.  :angry::angry::angry:

1 hour ago, Hellonearth said:

Sale has been refunded within 24 hours. How can Alamy allow this? It was downloaded for PU use and now they have my image and their money back! 

There's got to be a really reason to reimburse the fee. Have they given an explanation?

Archived