3 hours ago, Craig Yates said:

10 sales so far consisting of bulk deals. So far Nothing above $20 which is a first in that number of sales.

Zooms have tanked since beginning of July.

What changed in July?.

July was my best month ever.

On 8/20/2018 at 12:45, Colblimp said:

What?!  That's unbelievable!  I had no sales in May but have averaged 5 sales per month since the middle of last year.  My problem is, all my sales appear on the last or second last day of the month so it's very frustrating.

Indeed it is. No sales for me at all.  The more images I add, the less and less I sell. My CTR has dropped like a stone (and continues to fall) since it peaked in April. Sorry but how can I be positive ? Appalling returns for the amount of images I am uploading. 

"Unsplash" that is a free image site might have something to do with the decline in the stock image business. The images are of good quality so it beggars belief why any photographer wants to give away free images.

August is looking like a positive blip for me.  Six sales today alone for $400, in addition to the previous 13 for $538, and there is still more than a week to go!

Almost makes up for those lackluster months.

27 minutes ago, Reimar said:

August is looking like a positive blip for me.  Six sales today alone for $400, in addition to the previous 13 for $538, and there is still more than a week to go!

Almost makes up for those lackluster months.

Glad to hear someone is doing well. I've decided that this is the quiet before next week's storm.

Whoops, there goes another tumbleweed...

My months always seem slow with usually a few newspaper sales dropping in at the end of the month. I have had one drop in for $$$ which is the first $$$ sales since April. CTR, views and zooms are down this month. 

6 sales this month which is now my best month since starting last February. 3 decent $$ and 3 $ but the positive for me is that they are all that I shot with stock in mind and my chosen niche area so to speak. 

I've learned a lot in the late year, variety, finding a subject or area not well covered and also minimising costs involved in taking the photos so any sales are net profit.

My advice, take a small camera with useable zoom lens with you when you can, take a few photos each day and at the end of the week edit and upload. I carry mine each day to work, there's always something to photograph.

James, I looked at your images. Very nice!

I jumped back pretty far and saw a couple of images you have titled Cherry blossoms.  I could be wrong, but after looking at a lot of images on Alamy, it seems most of the cherry blossoms with small emerging leaves have reddish leaves. 

Your blossoms, to me, look like redbud blossoms. They are smaller flowers than cherry flowers.  Plus the leaves in your images are green, and appear to have the redbud’s distinctive heart-shaped leaves. There are few of them, though, and rather difficult to see.

The rebud is Oklahoma’s state tree. I was born and raised there, and only recently moved. I used to have two redbuds in my garden! There are two redbuds...one, the most commonly seen that looks like yours, have a purplish or magenta cast, rather than pink.

Anyway, you might want to check them out. If I’m wrong, I’m sorry. I worry all the time about my ID of the plants I shoot. It’s a difficult subject.

I assume you were in the U.S. east during cherry blossom time, right?  Then maybe that fraud tree masquerading as a cherry sneaked in? :D

Betty

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

James, I looked at your images. Very nice!

I jumped back pretty far and saw a couple of images you have titled Cherry blossoms.  I could be wrong, but after looking at a lot of images on Alamy, it seems most of the cherry blossoms with small emerging leaves have reddish leaves. 

Your blossoms, to me, look like redbud blossoms. They are smaller flowers than cherry flowers.  Plus the leaves in your images are green, and appear to have the redbud’s distinctive heart-shaped leaves. There are few of them, though, and rather difficult to see.

The rebud is Oklahoma’s state tree. I was born and raised there, and only recently moved. I used to have two redbuds in my garden! There are two redbuds...one, the most commonly seen that looks like yours, have a purplish or magenta cast, rather than pink.

Anyway, you might want to check them out. If I’m wrong, I’m sorry. I worry all the time about my ID of the plants I shoot. It’s a difficult subject.

I assume you were in the U.S. east during cherry blossom time, right?  Then maybe that fraud tree masquerading as a cherry sneaked in? :D

Betty

Thanks Betty for the kind words. The cherry blossom tree was taken in the UK but of course could be any imported variety, now you mention it I remember having a hard time pinpointing exactly what type it was, so I may have given up on correctly identifying it. I will take another look through, I plan a recheck of my keywords when I get some spare time, I just never seem to have any these days. :blink:

1 hour ago, JamesH said:

Thanks Betty for the kind words. The cherry blossom tree was taken in the UK but of course could be any imported variety, now you mention it I remember having a hard time pinpointing exactly what type it was, so I may have given up on correctly identifying it. I will take another look through, I plan a recheck of my keywords when I get some spare time, I just never seem to have any these days. :blink:

I agree, nice portfolio. I like the lighting on your Riverside hotel shot. This is the kind of photography that is right up my street (no pun intended) I must get back into urban landscapes. I find that making bigger panoramic images from a 50mm lens with shots taken vertically works very well as it medium format (my old college days when we had access to hasselblads.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I agree, nice portfolio. I like the lighting on your Riverside hotel shot. This is the kind of photography that is right up my street (no pun intended) I must get back into urban landscapes. I find that making bigger panoramic images from a 50mm lens with shots taken vertically works very well as it medium format (my old college days when we had access to hasselblads.

Not sure if youre talking of my photos, I don't think I have a Riverside hotel one.

I tend to shoot my panoramas with either my 50mm or 80-200 vertical and stitch in post, tends to work well.

2 hours ago, JamesH said:

Not sure if youre talking of my photos, I don't think I have a Riverside hotel one.

I tend to shoot my panoramas with either my 50mm or 80-200 vertical and stitch in post, tends to work well.

This one

https://www.alamy.com/riverside-house-building-with-zizzi-restaurant-people-walking-along-bankside-with-the-river-thames-and-millennium-bridge-in-background-london-uk-image215566905.html#.W4ALrfBr6P8.twitter

(sorry, I don't know how to post a preview of the image so had to settle for the URL)

11 minutes ago, Marb said:

Ahh sorry, I didn't realise you meant that one.

That was a bit of a struggle due to the dynamic range, plus I was shooting on my d3300 and kit lens not d800 so not as much latitude to pull shadows etc. I've not done much else with it.

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

James, the images I speak of are KR6HB4 and KR6HD1.  “Shot in Columbus Park, NY.

Ahh, yes, sorry, now I remember, thanks for pointing them out, I'll correct them this weekend :)

9 hours ago, JamesH said:

Ahh, yes, sorry, now I remember, thanks for pointing them out, I'll correct them this weekend :)

👍 if you decide it’s the redbud, call it Eastern redbud, Cercis canadensis, deciduous shrub, small tree, state tree of Oklahoma, light to dark magenta pink. They grow to 20-30 feet.

Betty

Archived