If anyone is interested here are my image stats from a recent 12 day trip to Ireland.

10,747 images shot

2,345 first edit

2,055 final edit

It took me two weeks of editing, processing and then editing again. Now I have to add descriptions and keywords/tags.  

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You're a bit more ruthless than me, I'm about 1 in 3. Or maybe your right forefinger is just a bit twitchier! I've never got near 800 a day.

Twitchy indeed, I was surprised by the high number of shots. The camera was set to single shot so no motor-drive madness. If the subject is good I tend to work it hard or if shooting conditions are marginal I will shoot a lot in hopes of getting a sharp hand held shot.

Of course the downside to so many images is all the work it takes to process them...

Choosing keepers is what takes the longest for me, followed by tagging but my keywords are already in Bridge either as templates or in the hierarchy, so it's not too bad.

If I shoot 'standard' landscapes, then I don't come anywhere near 800 a day. But, as I live on the coast, I often try to get the best waves effect and pattern, and I shoot and shoot and shoot similars.

If it's bird photography, then 800 is reached in no time at all. Lots of work afterwards to select the keepers.

Gen 

On 7/15/2018 at 18:53, spacecadet said:

You're a bit more ruthless than me, I'm about 1 in 3. Or maybe your right forefinger is just a bit twitchier! I've never got near 800 a day.

I'm assuming the red arrow for Spacecadet's post is an accident? Seems a strange post to get upset about otherwise.

Looking back over my port it would appear that I would take about 500 images on a two week holiday of which around 85% were keepers.

Mind you I am still working as though I am shooting film. (Haven't got into the "It's digital so doesn't matter if I take loads as it doesn't cost me more money." frame of mind).

Allan

On 15/07/2018 at 18:18, dlmphotog said:

If anyone is interested here are my image stats from a recent 12 day trip to Ireland.

10,747 images shot

2,345 first edit

2,055 final edit

It took me two weeks of editing, processing and then editing again. Now I have to add descriptions and keywords/tags.  

Interesting - are you saying that you will keyword and upload 2,055 to Alamy, or that those are your keepers and from those you will choose a smaller number to send to Alamy?

Cheers

Kumar

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Interesting - are you saying that you will keyword and upload 2,055 to Alamy, or that those are your keepers and from those you will choose a smaller number to send to Alamy?

Cheers

Kumar

I assumed the former- my figure is based on what goes to Alamy. I delete very little.

6 hours ago, Colblimp said:

That's an unbelievable amount of pics from a 12 day trip.  I live in Ireland and don't see where that number of pics would come from!

I shoot with stock in mind so I shoot almost everything from tourist spots and landmarks to inside supermarkets, shops, galleries, museums, markets, parks, streets, buildings... and lets not forget all the wonderful bars/pubs!

You live in a great country with wonderful people, I can't wait to return some day.

Assuming you have 8 hours a day sleep / rest / eating / whatever , that's practically 1 every minute of the remaining time on a 12 day visit.

I admire your dedication.

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I probably keep over 95% of the pics I take but could not imagine taking anything but a tiny fraction of that amount. I would prefer to try and select what I want at the time of shooting than gather such an enormous haul. 

I admit I have a bit of a run-n-gun mentality and do try to squeeze in many locations and areas to explore in a day. I did ALOT of walking exploring known locations as well as following my nose or should I say eyes to interesting off the beaten track locations.

I run like hell....I want to see as much as possible when I go. When I went to Rome last year, I shot over 8000 photos over 8 days (but not with stock in mind)...and about 1500 of those will likely end up on here at some point. My next trip is just under 2 months...will be curious to see the ratios from that trip, but I am sure at least 10K photos will be coming back, as far as what will end up on here...likely 1 in 6.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Cheers

Kumar

Kumar,

Yes 2,055 are the images I will keyword/tag and upload to Alamy. If I have don't have a "paying" job I will stay in the office and keyword/tag images, I normally can keyword/tag around 70-100 images a day.

9 minutes ago, BobD said:

Assuming you have 8 hours a day sleep / rest / eating / whatever , that's practically 1 every minute of the remaining time on a 12 day visit.

I admire your dedication.

8 hour day... what's that? :D

It's tough to get to bed early when the golden/blue hour in Ireland back in June was 10:30-11 pm.

5 minutes ago, dlmphotog said:

8 hour day... what's that? :D

It's tough to get to bed early when the golden/blue hour in Ireland back in June was 10:30-11 pm.

In that case you have obviously been slacking for some of the day.:)

I just came back from France-Spain-Portugal adventure road-trip over 6 days.

1000 images

60 videos (mainly timelapses)

I'll probably keep 2/3s, I'm more selective when I'm shooting and liberal when submitting (who knows if a buyer will like something that at first looks useless).

Should take me about a week to go through everything, 3-4 hours a day. Helped that I worked on a few dozen throughout the holiday. 

I decided to keep this one :) 

Els Castellers monument, Tarragona, Spain Stock Photo

I have to admire the work ethic involved in shooting 11000 images in 12 days !   Couldn't face the subsequent task of keywording etc.

I do this as a paying hobby, often accompanied by my wife, so I have to compromise on the time spent on photography. We normally travel together (preferably cycling) and then split up for a couple of hours enabling me to shoot and her to (window) shop.

I kept rather less than 1000 images in the camera following a 5 week trip to Europe, mainly France. I keyword first, which makes it easier to sort them into batches in order to delete the weaker shots, leaving far fewer to process.

A GPS device in camera would make the job a deal easier, I always try to capture the place name, but sometimes fail and then it takes an age to find the location.

21 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I have to admire the work ethic involved in shooting 11000 images in 12 days !   Couldn't face the subsequent task of keywording etc.

I do this as a paying hobby, often accompanied by my wife, so I have to compromise on the time spent on photography. We normally travel together (preferably cycling) and then split up for a couple of hours enabling me to shoot and her to (window) shop.

I kept rather less than 1000 images in the camera following a 5 week trip to Europe, mainly France. I keyword first, which makes it easier to sort them into batches in order to delete the weaker shots, leaving far fewer to process.

A GPS device in camera would make the job a deal easier, I always try to capture the place name, but sometimes fail and then it takes an age to find the location.

I find it easy...when my partner passed, it was kind of the only way I could bring myself to travel without him...still wanted to travel, but easier when you have a camera to hide behind, so I go alone now and that is my crutch so to speak.

13 hours ago, MandyD said:

I find it easy...when my partner passed, it was kind of the only way I could bring myself to travel without him...still wanted to travel, but easier when you have a camera to hide behind, so I go alone now and that is my crutch so to speak.

So sorry to hear you lost your partner.

Lost my wife in 2000 so know what you have been and are going through.

Allan

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

So sorry to hear you lost your partner.

Lost my wife in 2000 so know what you have been and are going through.

Allan

Thanks Allan ...I won't tell Ian you aren't all bad. You were young too then...I lost him when I was 34...42 now. We would always go and shoot together. I barely picked up my camera until last fall again. This has given me something to focus on again outside of work.

Have been doing bird photography over the weekend. 659 pix. First edit down to 255. Hoping to keep only a few shots per species in the end.

Gave me lots of pleasure though. And I got some rarish birds too.

Gen

Archived