Hello everyone,

I am not planning to reach a fulltime salary from stock. I guess it will never happen for me. Especially because i have allready a full time job.

But just out of curiousity. Are here full time stock photographers what get a living just from Alamy? 

I believe JG does, but could be wrong. Mind you he is a full time professional stock photographer to best of my knowledge.

Allan

I dream of the day when you can do that. Amongst other paid photography work of course. Anything is possible if you are determined and positive enough. 

I've been dreaming of that day for 40 years. That's why I'm still here instead of getting on with it. :blink:

Allan

I do not think that it is possible to earn a full time living out of stock any more, however modest your asperations.

dov

I must have a day job I don't know about then.... if anyone sees me getting on a train on a Monday morning can you tell me? ;) 

It is definitely possible to make a living from stock full time, I do, Jeff does, same for many others I know too. The difference between people who do this for a living and people who don't is often that we treat this as a business and shoot for multiple agents in multiple styles and target various markets. i.e. we shoot for the market, not what we like to shoot.

J

One for Mr... (96,779to answer?

You've bloody shorted me, you have.

(& given me some not mine, have you?!)

This is what it is:  Images:97020

As to starting from scratch in 2013 --> future full time stock shooter income;

yes, if one has all the factors it takes + persistence, this scenario can be real:

(am only familiar with nonexclusive unreleased RM occasionally licensed commercially, too)

2014: $3000 net (mostly "gets it" but still learning)

2015: $8000 net (nearing total comprehension, knows limitations)

2016: $15000 net (persistence like a locomotive)

2017: $25000 net (takes camera everywhere but in shower)

2018: $35000 net (starts giving priority to personal preferences, e.g., travel)

2019,2020, etc.: may continue to rise if workaholic, or level off if prioritizing "enjoyment"

notes: 2014-2018: average 40hrs work weeks = shooting/processing/keywording 

And there will be future stock superstars rising much faster...

Inspiration to us all Jeff.

I was made redundant in March and decided to build my portfolios with the view if making it a full time job in the future. I had about 1k images then. I knew it was coming so I made sure all debts were cleared and bought all the kit I needed etc. I have 4k images here now with another 2.5k in a processing queue and just started building separate micro portfolio that's doing rather well. Aiming for about 1000 new images per month split between the 2 portfolios, probably 60% 40% split in favour of Alamy. 

I have to admit I'm loving the work, the learning and get a real buzz from it. I've come to accept that it is not a question of if but when it provides a full time income. If I'm not shooting, I'm processing, If I'm not processing I'm keywording and once that's done it's onto research and analysis to identify the next target. I'm lucky in that the better half is also into climbing, mountain biking and traveling etc otherwise I would be in trouble :-)

I think the most important thing is to be fully focused on what you want, identify your weaknesses and then learn how to overcome them... if you don't know something, buy a book on it or search the net. Believe there is nothing you cannot do without the right research and preparation and most of all....... love what you do, everything you do.... yes, even keywording :blink: 

One for Mr... (96,779to answer?

You've bloody shorted me, you have.

(& given me some not mine, have you?!)

This is what it is:  Images:97020

As to starting from scratch in 2013 --> future full time stock shooter income;

yes, if one has all the factors it takes + persistence, this scenario can be real:

(am only familiar with nonexclusive unreleased RM occasionally licensed commercially, too)

2014: $3000 net (mostly "gets it" but still learning)

2015: $8000 net (nearing total comprehension, knows limitations)

2016: $15000 net (persistence like a locomotive)

2017: $25000 net (takes camera everywhere but in shower)

2018: $35000 net (starts giving priority to personal preferences, e.g., travel)

2019,2020, etc.: may continue to rise if workaholic, or level off if prioritizing "enjoyment"

notes: 2014-2018: average 40hrs work weeks = shooting/processing/keywording 

And there will be future stock superstars rising much faster...

Inspiration to us all Jeff.

I was made redundant in March and decided to build my portfolios with the view if making it a full time job in the future. I had about 1k images then. I knew it was coming so I made sure all debts were cleared and bought all the kit I needed etc. I have 4k images here now with another 2.5k in a processing queue and just started building separate micro portfolio that's doing rather well. Aiming for about 1000 new images per month split between the 2 portfolios, probably 60% 40% split in favour of Alamy. 

I have to admit I'm loving the work, the learning and get a real buzz from it. I've come to accept that it is not a question of if but when it provides a full time income. If I'm not shooting, I'm processing, If I'm not processing I'm keywording and once that's done it's onto research and analysis to identify the next target. I'm lucky in that the better half is also into climbing, mountain biking and traveling etc otherwise I would be in trouble :-)

I think the most important thing is to be fully focused on what you want, identify your weaknesses and then learn how to overcome them... if you don't know something, buy a book on it or search the net. Believe there is nothing you cannot do without the right research and preparation and most of all....... love what you do, everything you do.... yes, even keywording :blink:

As are you, Duncan (+1s and greenies to you both for your effort and positivism).  Some great words which are a morale boost for me at a difficult time!

Just had a quick look at your images. I believe that when you first joined Alamy, your portfolio consisted of mainly outdoor adventure subjects: I see that it has now broadened considerably (without lessening in quality) and is clearly based upon a pathway to sales.  I admire your efforts and work-ethic (ditto Jeff).

Well done - you have a fantastic-looking portfolio there which I am certain is seeing increasing sales.  If you are not knocking on Jeff's door within his timeline, (excepting for changes in economic/political/technological factors beyond our control, in the meantime) I shall be surprised!

As are you, Duncan (+1s and greenies to you both for your effort and positivism).  Some great words which are a morale boost for me at a difficult time!

Just had a quick look at your images. I believe that when you first joined Alamy, your portfolio consisted of mainly outdoor adventure subjects: I see that it has now broadened considerably (without lessening in quality) and is clearly based upon a pathway to sales.  I admire your efforts and work-ethic (ditto Jeff).

Well done - you have a fantastic-looking portfolio there which I am certain is seeing increasing sales.  If you are not knocking on Jeff's door within his timeline, (excepting for changes in economic/political/technological factors beyond our control, in the meantime) I shall be surprised!

Cheers..... initially I concerned myself to much about how much I was earning at that point in time. I think to begin with you have to accept that you will earn very little (compared to a normal full time job) and that whats important is the % increases in revenue / zooms etc you are making each month.

Your right, I was mainly an outdoor activity / landscape shooter but I wanted to get into studio work etc. I bought various bits of kit and learned how to use them (and still learning) and feel like it was meant to be. I love setting up shots, the prep, lighting etc... great fun. I used to have to wait until the weekends to enjoy my photography, now I find just as much if not more please from making the every day objects look good..... or try to anyway :D I used to shy away from strobes and flashes, now I love using them.

If i'm honest, provided my bills are paid each month I would be quite happy working every waking hour (photography that is). I guess that's because I don't see it as work, I'm doing what I love and people are paying me money for it...... whats not to love about that  B)  everyday is a sunny day in studio Izel.... there's always something to shoot!

Duncan. Just had a quick look at your work. Not sure if it's a concern or not but should you really have that credit card there with all the detail visible? Just wondering if someone could easily start charging your card!!!

Naaa... they'll be lucky..... it's an old one  :D The back all faded and rubbed off so I had to get a replacement! But good point though!!

Duncan. Just had a quick look at your work. Not sure if it's a concern or not but should you really have that credit card there with all the detail visible? Just wondering if someone could easily start charging your card!!!

Naaa... they'll be lucky..... it's an old one  :D The back all faded and rubbed off so I had to get a replacement! But good point though!!

I always alter the details on these sort of images just in case.

Pearl

I always alter the details on these sort of images just in case.

Pearl

Very good idea.... next time it might be an active card!! Will make a mental not to not do it again! Thanks

I took a picture of several 'For Sale' signs when I was on a walk with a friend. He smirked at me and asked why I was taking such A boring picture. I didn't think he deserved to know the answer to that, so I patted him on the head and just said I was trying to make a living from photography lol 

Archived