Hi all, Just wondering if anyone would recommend any of the various smartphone apps for helping determine sunrise, sunset etc?

Came across Ephemeris and it looks as if it could be useful but perhaps a little complicated?

This link is pretty comprehensive but better from the horse's mouth, so to speak, IMO! :-) Any suggestions?

I just have the Weather Network on my phone and it gives the official times of sunrise and sunset.  That is where I look for it.  Be prepared a good half hour before sunrise and you should be fine.

Jill

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone would recommend any of the various smartphone apps for helping determine sunrise, sunset etc?

Came across Ephemeris and it looks as if it could be useful but perhaps a little complicated?

This link is pretty comprehensive but better from the horse's mouth, so to speak, IMO! :-) Any suggestions?

We’ve been using Ephemeris for several years, would recommend it.

7 hours ago, Jansos said:

Ephemeris or TPE shows you were the sun/moon will rise-set not just the times of sunrise/sunset. It's a great tool but a bit complicated as they keep adding functions. If your only intrested in the times of sunrise/sunset then most weather apps will show that

3 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

Ephemeris or TPE shows you were the sun/moon will rise-set not just the times of sunrise/sunset. It's a great tool but a bit complicated as they keep adding functions. If your only intrested in the times of sunrise/sunset then most weather apps will show that

I wouldn't live without Ephemeris. Knowing the time is one thing, but how can you plan a shoot if you don't know where the sun/moon will rise/set? 

I live on the Eastern coast of Oz, so sunrise is at sea. I need to find a rocky outcrop or an interesting foreground beforehand. It would be no good pointing my camera in that direction for a sunset.

Likewise, when we had the blood moon or supermoon, I researched beforehand where the moon would rise and chose a location accordingly.

HDX4RA.jpg

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

I wouldn't live without Ephemeris. Knowing the time is one thing, but how can you plan a shoot if you don't know where the sun/moon will rise/set? 

I live on the Eastern coast of Oz, so sunrise is at sea. I need to find a rocky outcrop or an interesting foreground beforehand. It would be no good pointing my camera in that direction for a sunset.

Likewise, when we had the blood moon or supermoon, I researched beforehand where the moon would rise and chose a location accordingly.

HDX4RA.jpg

Thanks - useful! :-)

Archived