Yeah, after contacting support the reason for the rejection was not good enough camera (my bad for testing out my new GP camera). But either way, the drop from 3 start to 1 star because of this error (17 photos) when I have 9000+ photos for sale is strange, regards to the negative sides of suddenly only having a 1 star rating.

22 minutes ago, arcticphotoworks said:

Yeah, after contacting support the reason for the rejection was not good enough camera (my bad for testing out my new GP camera). But either way, the drop from 3 start to 1 star because of this error (17 photos) when I have 9000+ photos for sale is strange, regards to the negative sides of suddenly only having a 1 star rating.

D'oh. I thought Alamy had given up on its approved camera list.

3 hours ago, vpics said:

D'oh. I thought Alamy had given up on its approved camera list.

They have but if you try a new camera and they do not like it they will fail you.

Allan

3 hours ago, arcticphotoworks said:

It is a bummer no denying.

Don't worry about only being a one star. I have been one star since it was introduced and only been given the 10 day sit out a couple of times.

Like we used to say back in the good old days when it was 30 days in the clink, "At least it gives us time to re think our collection and upgrade keywording (tagging), remove similars and other deadwood and even reprocess an image or two to re-submit." (hint, nudge-nudge, wink-wink).;)

Allan

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Seems overly harsh to me too, especially the demotion to one star from three. I'd talk to Alamy about it.

Yeah exactly my thoughts too. Emailed support got the bad camera answer (fair enough, my bad in submitting photos from my new gopro) But no concrete answer on my demotion from 3 stars to 1 star😯

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What exactly was the reason given and can you post a 100% crop for comments?

I've had a couple of fails at 1* and wasn't frozen. 58 straight passes, though. I still only have two stars and didn't get the second until a few weeks ago.

The rejections were my bad in submitting photos from my gopro(btw the photos got accepted and some allready sold on other sites😊) but I just dont understand the harsh punishment from 3 to 1 star😕 plus 10 days account freeze

I am 3 star, which I'm happy about since I had a rejection last week, but what is the actual difference between the stars? Is it a faster approval time, higher search results or ? Sorry if this has been asked a lot - couldn't find the answer in a forum search.

I think it’s an ego thing.  I had 1 star for a long time and my images blazed through QC. 

Now whether it affects anything else, like search placement, I don’t know. But my images were well-placed with one star.

if it does one’s ego good to have 3 stars, it makes one extra careful to maintain it, and pay more attention to one’s own QC before upload.

Make sense? 

I’d be curious to know if QC failures have decreased since implementing the star rating.

Betty

12 minutes ago, KFisher said:

I am 3 star, which I'm happy about since I had a rejection last week, but what is the actual difference between the stars? Is it a faster approval time, higher search results or ? Sorry if this has been asked a lot - couldn't find the answer in a forum search.

I thought the idea was meant to be that a QC failure meant you lost a star until you got down to 1 star.. but no ban. Once down to 1 star, a QC failure would then result in a 10 day ban. I don't think I ever saw an explanation to the criteria for (re)gaining stars. This is what I seem to recollect the idea behind the stars was meant to be.. but I can't provide any link to anything to backup my memory. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, arcticphotoworks said:

Yeah exactly my thoughts too. Emailed support got the bad camera answer (fair enough, my bad in submitting photos from my new gopro) But no concrete answer on my demotion from 3 stars to 1 star😯

I would send a polite reply thanking them for the information so far but asking them to explain how you dropped from three stars to one star (and maybe even ask for an explanation of how the star system is meant to work?)

12 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I would send a polite reply thanking them for the information so far but asking them to explain how you dropped from three stars to one star (and maybe even ask for an explanation of how the star system is meant to work?)

Yeah, I think I will send an email to the support team, As far as the stars it is (As far as I understand) faster review times the more stars you have (explanation on the contributor dashboard). Additional when you have more than one star you will not get a 10 days freeze if you have a photo in the batch fail:)

Either way I will contact support for sure :)

15 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I thought the idea was meant to be that a QC failure meant you lost a star until you got down to 1 star.. but no ban. Once down to 1 star, a QC failure would then result in a 10 day ban. I don't think I ever saw an explanation to the criteria for (re)gaining stars. This is what I seem to recollect the idea behind the stars was meant to be.. but I can't provide any link to anything to backup my memory. :ph34r:

Yes, I don't understand the idea of three stars - if they take two for a bummer. Not so long ago I read in the forums about a submitter with three stars that wasn't punished at all. It seems very inconsistent.

7 hours ago, arcticphotoworks said:

yeah the whole batch would have the same (wrong camera) rejection reason :(

Sounds like it is the whole batch and using a nogo camera, but maybe the stars thing is a computer generated issue, may be worthwhile asking, although I don't think the stars have much to do with anything, apart from saying you haven't had many failures.

Another question which could be asked of Alamy, is that if you/we buy or try a new camera, can we e-mail them and say, as there is no longer a camera list, if we upload and say I'm doing a test on this camera, can Alamy let you/us know, rather than a ban? As you/we are testing a camera for suitability?

Chris

GoPro cameras have point-and-shoot size sensors. That's likely the problem here. Images from some higher-end small-sensor cameras used to occasionally get accepted (e.g., Canon G series and others that had good lenses). The current consensus seems to be that anything under a 1" sensor will probably be unsuitable. 

45 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Another question which could be asked of Alamy, is that if you/we buy or try a new camera, can we e-mail them and say, as there is no longer a camera list, if we upload and say I'm doing a test on this camera, can Alamy let you/us know, rather than a ban? As you/we are testing a camera for suitability?

I guess we could e-mail an example image to cs at any time and ask this. It may even be a good idea. But the post just above answers most of this question.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:29, John Mitchell said:

Seems overly harsh to me too, especially the demotion to one star from three. I'd talk to Alamy about it.

I agree.  If you were demoted to two stars and you submitted from that camera again, I can see it, but this does seem a bit harsh.

Rick

Archived