Christmas noise

HI everyone

Guess who has been banned for 10 days again! 

I uploaded a picture taken at night of the town Christmas Tree with the caption 'Happy Christmas to All at Alamy' because they had specifically asked for 'night shots'. 

They failed it mainly for noise and being soft. It was covered in lights and looking really pretty.

Hey Ho

See you in 10 days.

Happy Christmas

1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

HI everyone

I uploaded a picture taken at night of the town Christmas Tree with the caption 'Happy Christmas to All at Alamy' because they had specifically asked for 'night shots'. 

They failed it mainly for noise and being soft. It was covered in lights and looking really pretty.

Hey Ho

See you in 10 days.

Happy Christmas

Care to upload a 100% crop or a postimage.org link? Advice available.

You should have no problem getting night shots from a D800 past Alamy QC if your technique was good. What ISO did you use? Did you use a tripod? Did you read the section on noise reduction in your Martin Evening book? As spacecadet says post a link to the full size image. Best to use Dropbox again as you did before and post both the raw and the JPEG you uploaded. 

Finally banned is not really the correct term here - it's more of a sanction for uploading images that do not meet Alamy QC standards. They say you can actually get banned (account closed) for continually uploading substandard images but I've never heard of this happening.

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Don't you think the sarcasm is bit premature without seeing the image in question?

Even if the image isn't good enough to pass QC, banning a contributor for 10 days is childish, achieves nothing and is not helpful.  We're adults trying to sell our images to make a bit of money, it's not school!

Time after time the philisophy of quality control has been explained to you but you continue to object to an unchanged policy to which you signed up.

Even the OP accepts and understands it. The rest of us are trying to help him with his images, as the forum helped me when I had some trouble a couple of years ago.

13 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I know all about QC and its quirks.  I'm simply saying banning someone isn't helpful.

Then how else do you influence a contributor to pay better attention to their own QC. If Alamy doesn't do anything, then contributors will just take their chances and submit sub-par images.

Just now, Matt Ashmore said:

Then how else do you influence a contributor to pay better attention to their own QC. If Alamy doesn't do anything, then contributors will just take their chances and submit sub-par images.

Giving advice, nurturing, helping, as opposed to plain banning them!  An email pointing out where the contributor is going wrong, an invitation to ask questions as to where they're going wrong, making them feel valued.  But no, stopping a contributor from uploading pics for 10 days is the way forward!!!

2 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Giving advice, nurturing, helping, 

You get a failure reason.

Anyway this is what this forum is for. We've invited OP to post the image for that purpose.  Merely objecting to a policy which has been in place for years doesn't help him.

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

HI everyone

Hey Ho

See you in 10 days.

Happy Christmas

Can you upload your rejected photo on dropbox ? What ISO do you use to take your shoot ?

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You get a failure reason.

Anyway this is what this forum is for. We've invited OP to post the image for that purpose.  Merely objecting to a policy which has been in place for years doesn't help him.

Could the Colonel's fury at Alamy's policy have more to do with him failing QC for the first time himself recently as in other post where he admits to be absolutely fuming although Alamy did subsequently point out that the failure for CA was legitimate and not a mistake,

Now putting up my shield against an expected shower of red arrows B)

17 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Giving advice, nurturing, helping, as opposed to plain banning them!  An email pointing out where the contributor is going wrong, an invitation to ask questions as to where they're going wrong, making them feel valued. 

All of that exists today.. it just requires you to send an email to contributor services.

17 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

But no, stopping a contributor from uploading pics for 10 days is the way forward!!!

People would abuse the situation.

Being that this is a professional market, Alamy should expect its' contributors to be knowledgeable enough to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff themselves, without Alamy having to do it for them. We already have seen tons of examples of contributors who are just too lazy to keyword images properly, imagine if they also didn't have to bother with their own QC.  We would end up with Alamy finally having to QC every image and our percentage dropping to pay for the cost.

I know I have had a few images that I hemmed and hawed about submitting.  Perhaps if there were no retribution of any kind, I would have submitted them.

Do your own work properly and you won't have any issues with QC.

Jill

I had an image fail for the same reasons back in October.  I knew it was soft and noisy and a possible fail when I uploaded it, but its nice to know where the limits are.  When I look back at my submissions from when I first started at Alamy I realized I had an embarrassing amount of QC failures and am surprised that they put up with me.  That was before they had the ban policy I think.  I am thankful that Alamy gives us the opportunity to learn from our mistakes what level of quality they are looking for rather than banning us permanently for our failures.

Johnnie

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I know all about QC and its quirks.  I'm simply saying banning someone isn't helpful.

Wrong.

When I first joined Alamy I spent an awful lot of time in the "sin bin" which was 30 days back then. In fact, in one year alone I resided there for nigh on six months in total.  Boy, did I learn quickly.  

I reckon that was pretty helpful in my learning curve. It's been some 4 years or so since my last failure. 

This weekend I uploaded a selection of Xmas market and similar shots in circumstances where a tripod would be impossible to use (crush of people). I did consider LIve News, but wasn't sure how newsworthy they were -  having been knocked back in the past for unlively news!  Inevitably these shots are not as clean as daylight or tripod images, but you can see what is intended and there is a sense of life about them, some with deliberate motion blur.  I had hoped that QC would take into account the obvious circumstances when making their judgement, maybe they will......

but reading thread this I'm now worried that they might not get through QC :(

19 minutes ago, Bryan said:

This weekend I uploaded a selection of Xmas market and similar shots in circumstances where a tripod would be impossible to use (crush of people). I did consider LIve News, but wasn't sure how newsworthy they were -  having been knocked back in the past for unlively news!  Inevitably these shots are not as clean as daylight or tripod images, but you can see what is intended and there is a sense of life about them, some with deliberate motion blur.  I had hoped that QC would take into account the obvious circumstances when making their judgement, maybe they will......

but reading thread this I'm now worried that they might not get through QC :(

I don't think you are in any trouble, Bryan. As long as you have a focused point or area, and as Ed says, perhaps some noise reduction. In fact, my experience is that Alamy allows at least a little noise in such photos - and I am sure the overall quality of the image counts if you are near the limit with not more than one reason.

merry-go-round-with-christmas-train-ferr

Cheers guys!

Yes IS, a bit of noise control and some QC discretion will will hopefully see me through, should know by later this evening.......

Speak of the devil, they just got through :)

Archived