English Term please

Guest Stockfotoart

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Try palapa

Put that search term into Alamy search.

2871 images.

Allan

10 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Gazebo; palapa gazebo; (garden) pavilion; belvedere.

Why upload if it's this hard to define?

wim

If it's a particular destination, fair enough. I've sold pavilions before. Also as an example of the thatcher's art. Or, as it's a bit threadbare, to illustrate the need for more expenditure in public parks.

Just now, spacecadet said:

If it's a particular destination, fair enough. I've sold pavilions before. Also as an example of the thatcher's art. Or, as it's a bit threadbare, to illustrate the need for more expenditure in public parks.

Yes but how to keyword? How would clients be searching for such a topic or concept?

Agree on destination. Something like shelter hut in the XXX forest in Brandenburg.

Will that sell without people? Probably not. It cannot be bought either.

wim

Gazebo is a good one, as Wim points out above.

Since this was captured in Germany and not Mexico or Central America, calling it a "palapa" is something of a reach. The term palapa is not even European Spanish; it's based on a Mayan word. Is there a Mayan community in Germany? 

8 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I would use the term shelter. If it were mine I would also add thatched, bench seat, rustic, rural, woodland and the specific location (assuming you are not in a location which forbids commercial photography).

I would also add

circular, round, conical, thatched roof, woodland shelter, woodland refuge, forest shelter, forest refuge

Mark

This is an interesting discussion on the difficulty in naming or describing relatively unusual objects. It does raise the question as to why a buyer would purchase this image. Granted, it is feasible that someone may need a picture of a thatched shelter. In which case we need to climb inside the buyers mind and think what terms the buyer might use to search fro such an image - 'thatched parasol' is wonderfully imaginative but seems an unlikely candidate for a search term :). However, it seems more likely to me that this image would be wanted because of the location. I don't know anything about the image but I presume it is in a well-known woodland location and/or on a named trail and I would tag, maybe even supertag the location. The other possible use I would want to explore in my keywords would be the unusual use of thatching in a structure like this - maybe someone producing an article on rural trades might line the image as an illustration of the ancient craft. 

My German search terms have usually been auto-translated by Alamy so I don't bother with many German words in my German images nowadays.

Although I did have a search on "flaschenuntersetzer" the other day- they were beermats but Herr Automatik had seen "bottle" and "coaster" and put 2 and 2 together and got 5. But usually Alamydeutsch is at least as good as Weltraumkadettdeutsch.

3 hours ago, arterra said:

Shouldn't a parasol be movable?

Cheers,

Philippe

Well if I'm honest, yes, but I'm not sure if a buyer would be searching for this shelter thingy in particular. So I think place name would be more important. However if the structure is intended as a sun shade then parasol might be relevant.

4 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Well if I'm honest, yes, but I'm not sure if a buyer would be searching for this shelter thingy in particular. So I think place name would be more important. However if the structure is intended as a sun shade then parasol might be relevant.

I'll get my coat forklift.

Archived