How about this link?

I couldn't see it earlier but right now both links are working. This 'Image temporarily not available' error  sometimes happens with PhotoShelter but I have no idea why. Maybe they're doing some unscheduled maintenance?

How about this link?

Did you use a UV filter?

wim

Glad to hear that the link now works. Yes, I had a good quality multi-coated UV filter on the lens. It could be the culprit -- i.e. reflections.

This 100 % crop is taken from a vertical composition. I also took several horizontals, and the green dots did not appear in them for some reason.

Looks like I should go back and re-shoot without a UV filter to see if that was the problem. I'm too chicken to submit this image. Still wondering, though, if it wasn't a fleet of friendly (hopefully) UFO's. :D

Is it just those photos where you're getting it, or is it on all the photos you take with the camera?  If it's just that set of photos, it's probably some kind of random lens refraction. If it's on all your photos, then it's probably time send it in to get the sensor checked.                                                                                                                  

Reflection of the lights on the boat cased by UV filter, indeed.

You can count the green dots according to the lights.

I've been told that UV-filter are mostly obsolete for DSLRs, only filters I use are grey-filters and Pol-Filters.

If you had not used a UV filter, the only other cause could have been shooting through a window.

Only the reflections would probably not have been that green.

wim

Any chance that there was a laser lighting effect running.  They are usually pulsed which might account for it appearing as dots.  It looks like a laser green colour.  -  just a thought :)

The green is probably just the good coating of the front element and the filter combined. Plus the reduced reflection of said coatings that has caused underexposure of the reflected lights ;-)

wim

edit: this is basically what Niels said ;-)

Hi John,

This is a common problem I've had at night time with point light sources and a 60mm prime lens. It could well be the UV filter and coating interation. It's annoying as the green dots relate to the lights, but are offset somewhere else in the photo. I generally bin these photos, they're too time consuming to edit. I can't imagine they would go down well with QC. Good luck!

Steve

Edo

They were trilingual in the best Canadian tradition, they spoke klingon, french, and english.

A press officer in the Minister's office issued a written reply in Klingon: jang vIDa je due luq. ‘ach ghotvam’e’ QI’yaH-devolved qaS., which was translated as: "The minister will reply in due course. However this is a non-devolved matter."

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm going to blame the filter. I was using a good prime lens and have never seen this effect before, so I don't think it was the sensor. Shall go back and do it again without a filter. Glad I decided not to upload this one. I might have been demoted from a three-QC star general.

John, did any of the creatures on those UFOs try to speak with you directly? Did they have a Canadian accent?   :ph34r:

As a matter of fact they did try to communicate. However, they sounded more like the cast of Coronation Street than Canucks. Their leader was a big, loud, chubby guy wearing a red  baseball cap with "Make Qo'noS Great Again" written on it. Quite a strange lot, I must say. B)

Edo

They were trilingual in the best Canadian tradition, they spoke klingon, french, and english.

A press officer in the Minister's office issued a written reply in Klingon: jang vIDa je due luq. ‘ach ghotvam’e’ QI’yaH-devolved qaS., which was translated as: "The minister will reply in due course. However this is a non-devolved matter."

Don't know no Klingon, but I speak 4 languages semi-fluently: American English, British English, Italian (well, Romano), and primitive, native Brooklyn. My son lives in Montreal, so he speaks French all day. His is a Paris accent, since he learned his French there while playing with the fusion group: Gong. 

Edo

Don't know no Klingon, but I speak 4 languages semi-fluently: American English, British English, Italian (well, Romano), and primitive, native Brooklyn. My son lives in Montreal, so he speaks French all day. His is a Paris accent, since he learned his French there while playing with the fusion group: Gong. 

So perhaps one you multilingual guys can tell us what "covfefe" means. Also, is it a noun or a verb?

Edo

So perhaps one you multilingual guys can tell us what "covfefe" means. Also, is it a noun or a verb?

COFEVE = Fake word :ph34r:

Phil

Edo

COFEVE = Fake word :ph34r:

Phil

That figures.

Archived