About landscape images

About a third of the pictures which I licensed so far are landscapes and cityscapes without people in the foreground.

(The other two thirds of my licenses are objects, trains, cars/trucks, people).

Christoph

Christoph:

It would be very interesting to know why this is. I have noticed that your collection is even smaller than mine - the modest numbers alone might account for something. But I won't speculate and instead, will leave the questions and answers for the experts.

About a third of the pictures which I licensed so far are landscapes and cityscapes without people in the foreground.

(The other two thirds of my licenses are objects, trains, cars/trucks, people).

Christoph

Christoph:

It would be very interesting to know why this is. I have noticed that your collection is even smaller than mine - the modest numbers alone might account for something. But I won't speculate and instead, will leave the questions and answers for the experts.

Just like your coloured autumn leaves there is nothing to beat a Swiss or Tyrolean Alp landscape - especially if you are a local and on the spot at the very best time.  :)

Indeed, but my Autumn leaves never sell! I post them only because I am sometimes overtaken by bouts of unrealistic wishful thinking. Like eating fatty foods or skipping the gym, I sometimes do things I know aren't good for me, but if we do the right thing often enough, we can get ahead of the game.

landscape + something red = more engagement

think Paris, Texas...

km

Or

Landscape + sea (and starlings) = weather news

The British are obsessed about it. 

That's because they have lots of it.

The Italians have food as the national topic.

wim

Yes indeed, Wim. And if you shoot a food the Italians are talking about, that image will soon start selling all over the world. It's amazing.

... and my leaves? Nothing from them at all.

Which proves that those pesky Italians control the image buying business all over the world. ;-)

Maybe take a leaf out of this guys book.

wim

Indeed, but my Autumn leaves never sell! I post them only because I am sometimes overtaken by bouts of unrealistic wishful thinking. Like eating fatty foods or skipping the gym, I sometimes do things I know aren't good for me, but if we do the right thing often enough, we can get ahead of the game.

You're right. I've sold a couple, but the competition is fierce. Nobody can resist shooting a beautifully colorful scene. Just like nobody can eat one chip.

Yes indeed, Wim. And if you shoot a food the Italians are talking about, that image will soon start selling all over the world. It's amazing.

Which proves that those pesky Italians control the image buying business all over the world. ;-)

wim

And marked as Digitally altered : NO....

Identical leaves in Rome (EHPHDX) London (EJ6TDP)? I think so. Mmmm...

wim

I love the way that guy added those leaves! Maybe I should add a bowl of whole grain pasta to each of my non-selling scenics.

wim

He carries them around in his suitcase.

wim

He carries them around in his suitcase.

It is actually very hard to find an image of plant in a backpack on Alamy.

shepton-mallet-somerset-uk-28th-may-2013

wim

[Here was a quotation including thumbnail images. To set the record straight I have later deleted the thumbnails and the quoted posts]

They should have felled that tree long ago. Look how much of the Colosseum wall it has wiped away...

Getting those thousands of model releases in order for his images to qualify for RF status must have been a big job.

Technically, it doesn't require mode releases. There are more than four people in that photo which is taken in a public space. At a certain other agency I'm with that is the rule that is worked by.

Does it need a PR? Probably as it's focussed completely on the colosseum.

Getting those thousands of model releases in order for his images to qualify for RF status must have been a big job.

Technically, it doesn't require mode releases. There are more than four people in that photo which is taken in a public space. At a certain other agency I'm with that is the rule that is worked by.

Does it need a PR? Probably as it's focussed completely on the colosseum.

Probably, but technically Alamy's terms are in force here.

wim

Hmmm, having a pop at a fellow contributor's pix, when he/she is not on the forum to defend him/herself, is hitting below the belt... 

This is inevitable! 

This all began when people were "taking a pop" at my work - my leaf pics that never, ever sell or even collect zooms. I was hoping that Id be the beneficiary of this, but instead, it was a guy who isn't even in the discussion.

Our lesson? Be careful! You never know who your words will empower.

"But who has the answers?"

Book your place on my workshop in Cirencester on March 18th....

km

That's my birthday!

Keith should let you in free of charge. ;)

Allan

Archived