Views, zoom and sales

I read some place in the forum that you could expect to sell 1 image per 1000 per month.

Is there any statistic on the average number of views and zoom's per sale?

Just curious...

Thanks.

I've very few images here, so I don't expect any sale anytime soon.

If I get a sale or two next year with more image I'll be satisfied.

Just asked out of curiosity.

Yeah, I know some of my photos are to similar, but I've experienced on other stock sites (Not the same photos), that two or three similar images can sell well.

But I'm planning to do a little clean-up. Some are already deleted, but as I understand it could take a few months before they disappear.

I don't gout to specifically shoot stock. (Maybe I should)

I write about and shoot cars as a part time job, so I was thinking since I already have the images I could upload some of them here. Instead of just have them on my hard drive.

As for variety , I believe I slowly will get there.

Your figure isn't a bad starting point for a mixed collection, but your effective port size is much smaller because you have few subjects and a lot of similars. Some have literally hundreds of different subjects. Even I probably have.

Yeah, I know some of my photos are to similar, but I've experienced on other stock sites (Not the same photos), that two or three similar images can sell well.

The problem with Alamy is that too many similars will affect your rank, and then all your images will appear lower down in searches.

Alan

I read some place in the forum that you could expect to sell 1 image per 1000 per month.

This is probably hocus pocus. However, I think that, for reasons unknown, one sale per 1K images per month is still a pretty good indication for many Alamy contributors with  "average" collections and decent ranking.

I'm averaging nine sales per month this year, which isn't too far off the mark.

The problem with Alamy is that too many similars will affect your rank, and then all your images will appear lower down in searches.

Alan

I have two small sets of images of the same subject which all sell regularly, but they're not what you would traditionally think of as similars- in one case there is less than a page of that subject and in the other they are unique on Alamy. The exception may prove the rule.

Two or three similars is fine. Just make them different viewpoints. Side, front, landscape, portrait orientation. If they appear to be almost exactly alike and a buyer has to study them to see minute differences, only use one.

Is there any statistic on the average number of views and zoom's per sale?

Just curious...

My Alamy Stock collection (does not include my 29 sales via Stockimo) is selling an average of 3 per every 1,000 so far for 2016. 

I have never seen any correlation between zooms and sales in my own work, ever. I'd need to do lots more research to address the other questions.

However, if I were still a lifestyle photographer (as I was a few decades ago), I'd get right to work on the "do you understand the language?" concept. It sounds like a great idea.

Alan

What rank is considered a "good" rank? Average?

Alan

1 Showing up on the first page for searches for subjects that you have images of.

2 Really good rank: showing up on the first page for just New York; Rome; London or Paris.

3 Exceptionally good rank: the same for both Relevant and Creative searches.

1 means you can have excellent rank even when just starting out, if you shoot subjects that clients want, without to much competition.

Use All of Alamy on a regular basis to look for subjects and to check if images you intend to upload are at all wanted by clients.

wim

Alan

1 Showing up on the first page for searches for subjects that you have images of.

2 Really good rank: showing up on the first page for just New York; Rome; London or Paris.

3 Exceptionally good rank: the same for both Relevant and Creative searches.

1 means you can have excellent rank even when just starting out, if you shoot subjects that clients want, without to much competition.

Use All of Alamy on a regular basis to look for subjects and to check if images you intend to upload are at all wanted by clients.

wim

Thank you, very useful information  :)

Checking # of my sales over past year, I was surprised to see monthly average of 1 sale per 1000.

Of course, I agree with above posts that it doesn't mean anything - IF number is above 0 - for at least a couple of major reasons, including how average monthly "# of sales" is such different info from "$$$ earned." 

- ann

Archived