Kudos to you - one of the best forums

I dont post here very often, but actively read and browse these forums.

And I must say that this forum is one of the best ( if not THE best) in terms of members being cordial, civil and even downright helpful in their discussions.

So many other agency forums or general ms forums often get rude, sarcastic and disrespectful very quickly when others post either looking for guidance, or just posting something in general.

Just a shout- out to all here. ????

You will find that some members who have been posting for some time and sort of "know" each other will jokingly make some comment, but it is all taken in fun. As it is meant to be.

But you know that already having read the threads on the forums yourself.

Allan

That's alright Geoff. :D

I'll get you back later, when you are not expecting it. ;)

Allan

PS I'm just about to go and get one over on Philippe now.

ITMA

I agree, it is a real nice, helpful and civil forum. It wasn't always that way, it used to get down right ugly often, but that has changed, thankfully!

Yes indeed.  Having one's forum username linked to one's entire Alamy image collection surely helps to prevent nasty stuff. People could hide more easily on the old forum.

And I must say that this forum is one of the best ( if not THE best) in terms of members being cordial, civil and even downright helpful in their discussions.

So many other agency forums or general ms forums often get rude, sarcastic and disrespectful very quickly when others post either looking for guidance, or just posting something in general.

Just a shout- out to all here.

I can not resist to remain silent. I myself am more than a reader than a writer very positive impressions of the Forum and its inhabitants! Since I live only a photo, and then my life has become more lively, this forum is like a drug, from which it is difficult to get off. And well, that the relationship of the participants are added in this vein, and as the most important result is that I am not here as a broken hot water bottle, and quite favorably reacted to the beginner. A lot of useful things can get on a daily basis, even newspapers do not want to read, but I had never read.

That's alright Geoff. :D

I'll get you back later, when you are not expecting it. ;)

Allan

PS I'm just about to go and get one over on Philippe now.

ITMA

What did I do now?  :o

... and why are you wearing a tin foil hat?  :huh:

Cheers,

Philippe :P  

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Allan

Just a shout- out to all here.

Some of the Belgian and Dutch members seem to take part only to practice their English.

All the content can simply been ignored.

Feel free to correct our mistakes though!

;-)

wim

Some of the Belgian and Dutch members seem to take part only to practice their English.

OK, will do...

"practise", not "practice". "Practice" is a noun.

But hey, most English people don't know the difference these days :(

Alan

Some of the Belgian and Dutch members seem to take part only to practice their English.

OK, will do...

Alan

Thank you!

(see we're so very well behaved here ;-))

wim

Now I had to look it up.

Oh dear. It's

practise if your British;

but practice for all those who use the US spell checker.

I'm a newbie but I have to agree, this forum is pretty cool to contribute to, reply to or just browse through.  Every thing runs a lot smoother when everyone involved helps the other guy/gal out.  And that's why you should vote for me for president this November...

OK, will do...

Alan

In America, where English has been the predominant language since shortly after the death of Shakespeare, 'practice' is both the noun and verb.

OK, will do...

Alan

Thank you!

(see we're so very well behaved here ;-))

wim

Now I had to look it up.

Oh dear. It's

Well I must make sure to put BOTH spellings in my keywording!!! ;)

Davey

Nobody picked up your in:

Oh dear. It's

The correct way: if you're British.

Or everybody is too bloody polite. Now there's something one can learn from the bloody Dutch: they will tell you when you're doing something wrong.

The rest of the world probably prefers politeness though. And rightfully so. Especially on line, like here.

(Google online rudeness if you want to read more about that phenomenon. Notice that with a Google image search for that, Michelle Obama comes up on line 5 and Donald Trump only shows up on line 17, next to a tile: rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength. If you want to learn more about why the Dutch are so rude, Google will bring up enough for a day's read. And the British version of Google offers next to look up Dutch swear words. Our Google only offers to look up why are Dutch so rude. Basically it's a North/South thing The Dutch think the Belgians are very polite. Like I learned in the US there must be an equilibrium somewhere: when we told our hostess in Georgia we lived in DC, she immediately quoted JFK: Northern hospitality with Southern efficiency. The average may not turn out positive. The Google image search for rude dutchness brings up a lot of subjects I have failed to even consider so far. Time to check All of Alamy!)

wim

Wim - I have never found Dutch people particularly rude. Perhaps the word blunt better descibes what you mean than rude. Or to be blunt, the word blunt better describes what you mean. Or to be rude about it, I might say something like "why don't you use a dictionary and think more clearly about what you mean before posting on this forum?  (I definitely would not say that to such a congenial person as yourself or to anybody else - it's just an example :D). Now if I was being boorish (derived from the Dutch boer I presume), well I won't say what I might say but it could be nasty - maybe I haven't met enough Dutch farmers.

Basically, rude carries a connotation of purposely or perhaps carelessly upsetting the other person, blunt is just saying it as you see it. Bluntness is ok to my mind if somebody asks for a folio review, for example, but not rudeness.

Wim - I have never found Dutch people particularly rude. Perhaps the word blunt better descibes what you mean than rude. Or to be blunt, the word blunt better describes what you mean. Or to be rude about it, I might say something like "why don't you use a dictionary and think more clearly about what you mean before posting on this forum?  (I definitely would not say that to such a congenial person as yourself or to anybody else - it's just an example :D). Now if I was being boorish (derived from the Dutch boer I presume), well I won't say what I might say but it could be nasty - maybe I haven't met enough Dutch farmers.

Basically, rude carries a connotation of purposely or perhaps carelessly upsetting the other person, blunt is just saying it as you see it. Bluntness is ok to my mind if somebody asks for a folio review, for example, but not rudeness.

Thank you! I totally agree. However Google thinks the world sees it like this:

Dutch blunt - 664.000; Dutch rude - 23.400.000 results. 

And:

British rude - 32.200.000 results.

Online rude - 48.100.000 results

But:

Belgians rude - a mere 102.000.

The Belgians win.

wim

Outside the U.S., the "s" becomes a "c" in the derivative adjective practicable, where practicable means capable of being put into practice. C is likewise used in the much rarer adjective practiceable (ignore spell check on this one, Wim), which means capable of being practiced (i.e., such as a piano song or a football maneuver). Practisable used to appear for this latter sense, but we find almost no examples of its use from after the early 20th century.

In the main varieties of English from outside North America, practice is the noun, and practise is the verb, as Alan already mentioned. For instance, we would say that a doctor with a private practice practises privately. There is no such distinction in American English, where practice is both a noun and a verb, and practise is not used at all. Canadian English also favors practise as the verb, but practice appears with relative frequency as a verb (about a third as often as practise).

-_-

Yes, Allan B. I hear you thinking (you're not wearing your tin foil hat) "How does this little Belgian knows all that?" ............... because Grammarist is my friend  -_- 

Cheers,

Philippe

I hated English lessons at school. All those verbs, nouns, conjunctivitis ;)  , etc, etc.

So as soon as someone asks me to read a mini thesis on it my mind blanks out. You should have known that Philippe as I did not have my tin foil hat on. :P

Allan B

Outside the U.S., the "s" becomes a "c" in the derivative adjective practicable, where practicable means capable of being put into practice. C is likewise used in the much rarer adjective practiceable (ignore spell check on this one, Wim), which means capable of being practiced (i.e., such as a piano song or a football maneuver). Practisable used to appear for this latter sense, but we find almost no examples of its use from after the early 20th century.

In the main varieties of English from outside North America, practice is the noun, and practise is the verb, as Alan already mentioned. For instance, we would say that a doctor with a private practice practises privately. There is no such distinction in American English, where practice is both a noun and a verb, and practise is not used at all. Canadian English also favors practise as the verb, but practice appears with relative frequency as a verb (about a third as often as practise).

-_-

Yes, Allan B. I hear you thinking (you're not wearing your tin foil hat) "How does this little Belgian knows all that?" ............... because Grammarist is my friend  -_- 

Cheers,

Philippe

I hated English lessons at school. All those verbs, nouns, conjunctivitis ;)  , etc, etc.

So as soon as someone asks me to read a mini thesis on it my mind blanks out. You should have known that Philippe as I did not have my tin foil hat on. :P

Allan B

Wim, Olivier, where are you? Allan thinks English conjugations are difficult  :lol:

My friend, have you ever tried Dutch verbs? Or even worse ...... French:blink: Those are nightmares  :wacko:

Cheers,

Philippe

I'm a lazy sod ^_^  and never learned any other language, except an attempt at German for business. But that was a long time ago and have forgotten most of it now.

Allan B

Now! Where is Geoff and what is he doing? Got to find him to get my own back for his crack the other day. ;)

ITMA

Archived