The secret of Alamy

Hello folks,

I know it is not a reliable source but i just noticed that on microstockgroup.com people are reporting growing sales for Alamy. It is close reaching the top tiers of microstock.

Keep in mind that  I believe that most contributors reporting Alamy sales have the same images also on micros. Despite most of the images have to compete with much lower priced ones on Microstock sites the result is very good. I think if contributors that have images only on Alamy also would put their earnings on the poll Alamy would be easily on the top 3.

Seeing all the complains on the msg forums about drastic sales declining and lack of contact from agencies to contributors/buyers i think Alamy is just doing it right with their service. From all agencies I have been including micros there is no agency giving me the personal approach like Alamy.

What do you think could be the reason?

Mirco

Hello folks,

..... I believe that most contributors reporting Alamy sales have the same images also on micros. ....

Mirco

Really? Seriously?? Please don't tell me people really cut their nose off to spit on their own faces. Count me out!

Hello folks,

I know it is not a reliable source but i just noticed that on microstockgroup.com people are reporting growing sales for Alamy. It is close reaching the top tiers of microstock.

Keep in mind that  I believe that most contributors reporting Alamy sales have the same images also on micros. Despite most of the images have to compete with much lower priced ones on Microstock sites the result is very good. I think if contributors that have images only on Alamy also would put their earnings on the poll Alamy would be easily on the top 3.

Seeing all the complains on the msg forums about drastic sales declining and lack of contact from agencies to contributors/buyers i think Alamy is just doing it right with their service. From all agencies I have been including micros there is no agency giving me the personal approach like Alamy.

What do you think could be the reason?

Mirco

Only have my images with Alamy and regular sales.

John

I do not have the same images on Alamy as on micros. In my opinion doing that is just foolishly undercutting potential sales at the higher priced sites (Alamy). But, yes, there are people who do that.

As I see income dropping from micro, I also see income dropping from Alamy. I think it is an industry wide phenomenon - not just micros. I like the Alamy business approach and "partnership" with photogs. In my opinion, the micros have gotten lost in their quest for money and damaged the relationships with their contributors.

Hello folks,

..... I believe that most contributors reporting Alamy sales have the same images also on micros. ....

Mirco

Really? Seriously?? Please don't tell me people really cut their nose off to spit on their own faces. Count me out!

I think you misunderstood me. I mean not the contributors on this forum but the microstockgroup forum. In fact it are microstockers that also submit to Alamy.

Mirco

Hello folks,

Mirco

I think you misunderstood me. I mean not the contributors on this forum but the microstockgroup forum. In fact it are microstockers that also submit to Alamy.

Mirco

You may have a point there, Mirco. The forum is a very small sampling of Alamy contributors.

I do push a couple of images to one micro site but all of the images have either been rejected by Stockimo (for my iPhone pictures) or I didn't feel 100% sure that they would be accepted by Alamy QC.

If the QC at the micro site accept these images then fine.. if not then at least I haven't been in the Alamy sin bin for 30 days!

The way the microstockgroup poll calculates it figures is something of a mystery but my gut feeling is that relatively large or small figures posted by just a few contributors can swing the Alamy figure quite substantially. it's noticeable that the sudden upward leap in Alamy's poll result is at odds with the 'I've had a poor month' trend of posts in the 'How was your January 2016' thread on the Alamy forum.  I suspect what we have here is just a blip, and it may well be ironed out even in the next few days as some more Alamy contributors post some more typical figures.

The MSG forum and ranking of agencies on the right side have no importance what so ever, most members there don't even bother to rank/vote and the only ones voting are a handful of members. Its a micro forum!! and they don't take kindly to trad-photographers at all.

That forum is run and visited by fan-boys and newbies, constantly arguing, slandering each other, everybody and anything.

So paying any importance to anything over there and you might as well stick your head between your legs and..................bye.

Hello folks,

Mirco

Mirco

IIRC, Alamy was (still is) a member of that forum. Don't you get it...Alamy want microstockers to bring their images to Alamy, they generally are much more commercial than regular Alamy shooters. Have you not noticed that Alamy have featured microstock work in their promos? Alamy now talk about a community....they've decided to model themselves on guess where!!!

The market is still segregated enough and accounts still not wide ranging (in terms of having accounts at each and every agency) that it can make sense. The top aggregators know full well that micro has a massive client base which often doesn't travel to other sites...and vice versa. But hey, what do they know!!

Hello folks,

Mirco

Mirco

IIRC, Alamy was (still is) a member of that forum. Don't you get it...Alamy want microstockers to bring their images to Alamy, they generally are much more commercial than regular Alamy shooters. Have you not noticed that Alamy have featured microstock work in their promos? Alamy now talk about a community....they've decided to model themselves on guess where!!!

The market is still segregated enough and accounts still not wide ranging (in terms of having accounts at each and every agency) that it can make sense. The top aggregators know full well that micro has a massive client base which often doesn't travel to other sites...and vice versa. But hey, what do they know!!

100% correct!  spot on!

I only started submitting this January and am aiming to upload 100 images per month.  Everyone has to start somewhere!

Haha!  yeah I know but thats not what I meant. I meant that even if you had 5000 images I would be wishing you the best of luck since Alamy is the one and only. :D

I only started submitting this January and am aiming to upload 100 images per month.  Everyone has to start somewhere!

Haha!  yeah I know but thats not what I meant. I meant that even if you had 5000 images I would be wishing you the best of luck since Alamy is the one and only. :D

So, why are you still here?

Cheers,

Philippe

Just hanging in there with a few images, waiting for the magical day when the creative search WILL be the creative search and when they change the most ancient search-engine in history. So,  just hanging there! :)

Archived