You don't need a 'legal team' or 'agents and galleries'. Google image search will find many infringements and you can pursue them yourself  if necessary through the small claims track of IPEC.

Those newspaper uses are infringements- you give Facebook a licence when you upload content but not anyone else. If you can prove the 3-year use, they should be paying up.

Try this.

http://www.epuk.org/Opinion/994/stolen-photographs-what-to-do?pg=4

Thanks I'll have to read that

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent piece here by AFP staff photograher Leon Neal...

https://www.pixelrights.com/Leon%20Neal/albums/scJLLb/ten-tips-for-the-budding-press-photographer

And first of his 10 'top tips' is:

1 - Cultivate an online identity - This may seem a no-brainer but it pays to develop your “brand” and work at getting your name out there to the industry through social media and websites.

Although he's talking about news work, his comments and observations are valid for any working photographer..

km

I'm getting a really strange feeling about this thread. Clearly, there seems to be a generation gap of sorts. Along with Keith, I was under the impression that the best thing I could do was to create a social media page (Facebook in my case) and tell the story of my photography business on it. I make a proactive effort to friend editors and other photo buying professionals; I even have a few stock agency employees on my list.

The results are clear. Decision makers recognize me at conferences because they've seen my work on Facebook and more than a few assignments (for text/photo projects) have come in with private comments about what they saw on my page. I would describe my Facebook page as a major success and the most important component of my promotional efforts.

An excellent piece here by AFP staff photograher Leon Neal...

https://www.pixelrights.com/Leon%20Neal/albums/scJLLb/ten-tips-for-the-budding-press-photographer

And first of his 10 'top tips' is:

1 - Cultivate an online identity - This may seem a no-brainer but it pays to develop your “brand” and work at getting your name out there to the industry through social media and websites.

Although he's talking about news work, his comments and observations are valid for any working photographer..

km

Neal's observations are quite common sense and valid . . . but on reflection, it seems to me that without first giving serious attention to his points 2 and 3, point 1 loses its hoped-for advantage for any photographer.

dd

Well, having read all this and looked in to the pros and cons I have set up my own photography FB page - not really to try and sell images but just to allow people to have a look.

Will expand it in time no doubt but atm just mainly has travel photography on it

Feels free to have a look!

Be interested to know what you think!

Kumar

Kumar Sriskandan Photography 

www.facebook.com/kumarsriskandanphotography

Brian Yarvin - Though I don't generally read about cooking (especially since so much is frustrating for someone who must avoid gluten & more), I enjoyed the photos on your facebook page. 

When I read "27 Food Articles Nobody Needs to Write Again" that you posted link to, it reminded me I slept in home/bed Julia Child had slept in, thanks to mutual friend - though, undoubtedly it would inspired more viable (but equally unnecessary) article if I'd cooked in the same kitchen...

- Ann

I'm getting a really strange feeling about this thread. Clearly, there seems to be a generation gap of sorts. Along with Keith, I was under the impression that the best thing I could do was to create a social media page (Facebook in my case) and tell the story of my photography business on it. I make a proactive effort to friend editors and other photo buying professionals; I even have a few stock agency employees on my list.

The results are clear. Decision makers recognize me at conferences because they've seen my work on Facebook and more than a few assignments (for text/photo projects) have come in with private comments about what they saw on my page. I would describe my Facebook page as a major success and the most important component of my promotional efforts.

Brian Yarvin - Though I don't generally read about cooking (especially since so much is frustrating for someone who must avoid gluten & more), I enjoyed the photos on your facebook page. 

When I read "27 Food Articles Nobody Needs to Write Again" that you posted link to, it reminded me I slept in home/bed Julia Child had slept in, thanks to mutual friend - though, undoubtedly it would inspired more viable (but equally unnecessary) article if I'd cooked in the same kitchen...

- Ann

Ann,

You probably know that it's easy to visit her kitchen, as it's on display in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in DC.

Can't remember if anything is in working order though. Probably not.

220px-Julia_Child%27s_kitchen_by_Matthew

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Child's_kitchen

Fun stories: http://amhistory.si.edu/juliachild/jck/html/textonly/storyIndex.asp

My other favorite: the First Ladies collection:

8-800.jpg

wim

- Ann

Ann,

You probably know that it's easy to visit her kitchen, as it's on display in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in DC.

Can't remember if anything is in working order though. Probably not.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Julia_Child's_kitchen_by_Matthew_Bisanz.JPG/220px-Julia_Child's_kitchen_by_Matthew_Bisanz.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Child's_kitchen

Fun stories: http://amhistory.si.edu/juliachild/jck/html/textonly/storyIndex.asp

My other favorite: the First Ladies collection:

8-800.jpg

wim

Hi Wim - No, I didn't know Julia Child's kitchen is on display at Smithsonian - which reminds me it's been too long since my last visit to the Smithsonians. For decades I was there regulalarly due to family visits to relative, plus I worked in DC a bit.

Ann

I've had sales linked back to posts on FB and twitter - I know it's a risk but so is putting your photos anywhere on the web - but if you don't, then obviously it will be very difficult to license them. I liked the analogy to a store owner worrying about shoplifters. I look at it that way and have managed to collect from people who've posted my watermarked images on their FB business pages. So, even if you don't post on FB yourself, others may still post your images there. Social media is a fact of modern life. 

I'm following your FB pages Kumar and Keith and will follow anyone else who cares to share a link. Twitter too. 

Here's mine if you'd like to have a look:

FYI only follows from individuals - not from other pages - count on your totals - and comments and likes, retweets help you move up in searches. 

https://www.facebook.com/Marianne-Campolongo-Photography-106998686013473/

https://twitter.com/campyphotos

Thanks for looking  B)

I dont post any pictures on Facebook other than some personal ones that I don't care if they get stolen. As a marketing tool for pictures, I don't consider FB to be of any value whatsoever.

if you don't have any marketable photos on display, then obviously you won't get any marketing benefit...

km

Social media, done properly, is a full time job. 

If you can become a significant presence on social media, you can make money from, photo seminars, endorsing photo products, leading photographic travel groups, writing photo how to books, designing photo software, selling prints, photo consulting, and doing assignments.

In doing all the above you will have the opportunity to create some stock photos. YOU SHOULD THEN GIVE THOSE STOCK PHOTOS AWAY FOR FREE IN RETURN FOR A CREDIT!!!! PUT YOUR DISCREETLY WATERMARKED PHOTOS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN !!! This will create a virtuous circle, and further your main objective of making money by becoming a photographic presence on social media. It will also help you meet other people of your sexual preference.

If I was middle aged, instead of being so old, I would be doing the above.

Using social media is about a long term strategy of increasing 'brand awareness' , not simply about selling individual photos

For example:

Yesterday i tweeted that i'd seen David Bowie for 60p when i was a 14 year old kid, on the Ziggy Stardust tour, two months before Starman became a hit.

As a result i had two live radio interviews and a magazine interview about it, all of which refered to me as 'professional photographer Keith Morris.....'

It's free advertising, and an important element in keepin me in work

km

Important to have a social media presence- if you want to promote your business/services

I'm at Facebook/martinberryphotography - only launched it recently but has already proved useful following some news images that I put on the site- after they had gone to alamy.

My Twitter account - Twitter/australiashots - has 300 followers after a couple of weeks - raises awareness

I'm not looking to sell images - I'm selling myself

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here's my Facebook thingy: - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009182933445

I set it up for Martin Wilson's Professional Stock Photographer's group, but I guess I should look at using it for more than that ;-). Any friend requests accepted ;-)

Not sure if I'm doing this right, but here's my Facebook thingy: - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009182933445

I set it up for Martin Wilson's Professional Stock Photographer's group, but I guess I should look at using it for more than that ;-). Any friend requests accepted ;-)

Not sure if this is exactly what is being discussed. 

Yours is a personal FB page, surely to promote photography you need a separate 'Dave Hill photography' (example) page?

I haven't bothered doing a separate page as I don't do wedding etc, but I  may change my mind and just post some of my other stuff.

I have had sales sourced through my personal FB page which has a link to my normal website, also contacts (usually expecting free work) through it as well.

Besides my personal Facebook account, which I love to get photography related info through, but obviously also to see what all the relatives and friends get up to, I've started using two Facebook pages;

1) Martin Carlsson Photography - an English language Facebook page, which mainly gets infused with Instagram posts, my blog posts and occasionally other photography related stuff (interesting articles etc.) - no added work, and has driven a fair bit of traffic to my website (about half of what Google searches has done). I deem this page to be the general "brand building" (sounds so grand) one, in the same way as my Twitter account, Instagram (which is also being showed as a feed on the website), blog and my website but most importantly - the website is the hub, that is where I want "people" to come.

All efforts will have the general idea to build traffic to the website (the hub). The website has generated "good" sales in the short time it has been set up to be able to do that. Long term plans for it, but currently just infusing material, although available for licensing so not just a portfolio showcase or anything. The uploading/maintenance (takes place in Lightroom) to put licensable content on the website is none (well, have to push one button to "publish"), no extra compared to what already is already done when creating stock ready content (i.e. fix the picture, determine the license and keywording). Besides pushing the button for publish, everything is automated to be sucked up to Photoshelter at the right time (where I host the website), i.e. RAWs gets backed-up immediately, TIFFs and stock ready jpeg when they are "finished" (editing, metadata & keywords, and chosen a license.

2) Martin Carlsson Fotograf - a Swedish language Facebook page. Just started it, but the thought is that this is more local, any local news, local events and for services i.e. to be able to be found for local, regional assignments. Just started it, so generated nothing yet, going forward a bit more efforts will be put into it.

Also toying with doing more with YouTube, which I love - but find it hard to take myself serious enough. "Funny" videos (since been taken down) generated good views and some $s, especially an UFO spotting one...

Yours is a personal FB page, surely to promote photography you need a separate 'Dave Hill photography' (example) page?

I haven't bothered doing a separate page as I don't do wedding etc, but I  may change my mind and just post some of my other stuff.

I have had sales sourced through my personal FB page which has a link to my normal website, also contacts (usually expecting free work) through it as well.

Thanks, Mick - is this more the thing you mean?: https://www.facebook.com/David-Hill-Photography-1084908461542591/

Actually, that particular Facebook account was set up purely for photography - I'm keeping the personal stuff off it. 

Thanks, Mick - is this more the thing you mean?: https://www.facebook.com/David-Hill-Photography-1084908461542591/

Actually, that particular Facebook account was set up purely for photography - I'm keeping the personal stuff off it.

Looks right to me Dave - a separate page from your personal account

Prompted by this thread I've done a bit of work on my Facebook profile and have created a separate page for my Photography (see link in my signature). I was never really that keen on using my personal facebook profile for promoting my photography, but being able to split personal from business seems to provide a good solution.

I now need to work out how best to use it effectively, which is probably a bigger challenge! One step at a time. Now what did I do with my Instagram and PInterest accounts....?

Archived