Please join me in offering sincere condolences to all Parigot. Parisians have had a bad year. They were kind to me when I visited that great city shortly after 9/11, and when I covered the riots in the spring of 1968 several young students helped keep me safe from the security police. 

Love the country/city, visit most years, can't recall a bad experience and many positive, and will add my condolences.

I do have a concern that there seems to be an assumption in some quarters (e.g. readers' comments in the Times online this morning) that those responsible were migrants, whereas, in the past, these sad events have been caused by home grown terrorists. There is a need to wait for more evidence and avoid  jumping to conclusions.

I hope Paris can heal quickly from this dreadful wound. My recent trip to Kenya saw a big reduction in the number of tourists there. People are afraid of the terrorism and Kenya relies greatly on the tourists. An Egyptian doctor of mine told me that there is almost no tourism in Egypt anymore. I can't imagine people stopping their trips to Paris but we in New York saw a definite drop in our visitors after 9/11. When I first saw a few tourists in my neighborhood again I wanted to hug them. Such a sad world we live in now.

Paulette

My condolences to all who died or were hurt in the attacks. Our son and his fiancee live in the 10th and we were in the area of the attacks with them in February; we saw the remains of the memorial to Charlie in and around Republique. We did not expect there would be worse so soon, although we always knew it was possible. How do you defend against those who wish to die in perpetrating these horrendous, and frankly ultimately pointless, acts?

Fortunately they are on holiday overseas at the moment.

Archived