DxO One Camera - A Game Changer?

I just ran across this.  DxO has decided to create their own camera - it attaches to your iPhone.  I am VERY impressed with this and I think I would really enjoy it paired with my iPhone 6 Plus.  At $600, I think it's reasonable for something to carry around or even go backpacking with.

http://www.dxo.com/us/dxo-one

The question is - do images created with this camera belong in the main collection or should they be sent to Stockimo?

The question is - do images created with this camera belong in the main collection or should they be sent to Stockimo?

I would say neither at the moment unless Alamy put it on the approved camera list. According to the blurb, it's a standalone small, high-megapixel camera that attaches to an iPhone which can be used as a viewfinder but is not involved in the picture taking.

So how/why would this be any better than an RX100? What am I missing?

It intrigues me because it's smaller and should have good image quality based on the sensor advertised.  I already carry a phone (iPhone) in my pocket every day.  I could easily throw the attachment into another pocket and carry it around all day and not worry about it.

I travel on business on occasion.  I like to use a carry on so I can move quickly through the airport.  I can remember trying a Fuji X100S on a trip to Sacramento, CA.  It BARELY fit in my front pocket - it was a very uncomfortable fit.  I can remember using a Fuji XT-1 on a trip to Calgary - it was small enough I could carry it in the carry on but it was big enough that it would catch the attention of folks while walking around shooting.

It intrigues me because it's smaller and should have good image quality based on the sensor advertised.  I already carry a phone (iPhone) in my pocket every day.  I could easily throw the attachment into another pocket and carry it around all day and not worry about it.

I travel on business on occasion.  I like to use a carry on so I can move quickly through the airport.  I can remember trying a Fuji X100S on a trip to Sacramento, CA.  It BARELY fit in my front pocket - it was a very uncomfortable fit.  I can remember using a Fuji XT-1 on a trip to Calgary - it was small enough I could carry it in the carry on but it was big enough that it would catch the attention of folks while walking around shooting.

The fixed focal length of the DX0-One seems rather limiting, or have I misunderstood?

The fixed focal length of the DX0-One seems rather limiting, or have I misunderstood?

Yes, without a zoom, I doubt that this camera will be very popular. I'm not iPhone user, so I'd go for the RX100 if I were looking for a truly pocketable camera. The Sony is "Alamy approved," has RAW capability, and has a good zoom by the sounds of it. Unfortunately, financial returns don't allow for new equipment purchases at the moment.

So i would have to have an Iphone 5 minimum, i'm guessing they are around £100 second hand then another £499 that's £599.

Anyone remember one of the sony QX phone lens thing? which you can attach to any-phone as long as it i had NFC or somwthing, the lens is the same as RX100 so they clamed. 

i could get some good lenses for about the same price, don't get me wrong it's a great idea, i would like to see some third party reviews, but i would rather buy a new lens for that amount honestly. 

Do you mean DxO's software Chuck? If so, then yes, I am a user and big fan of DxO Optics. Way better RAW conversions than LR in my opinion. It's inbuilt lens corrections are superb. It's file management side is a browser rather than a database in the LR style, so you can manage files in another package -I use OnOne's lightning quick browser to organised all my RAW files and then go to DxO to process them.

Colin

Do you mean DxO's software Chuck? If so, then yes, I am a user and big fan of DxO Optics. Way better RAW conversions than LR in my opinion. It's inbuilt lens corrections are superb. It's file management side is a browser rather than a database in the LR style, so you can manage files in another package -I use OnOne's lightning quick browser to organised all my RAW files and then go to DxO to process them.

Colin

I'll second that. I recently started using DxO software for processing my RAW files and am very happy with the results. Their lens modules are terrific.

iphone (mainly but others available) lens / clip on stuff has been available for a while.

great for shots where you want more than the phones lens etc, but i'd be cautious about using it for stock. they do have better results, but imo with all things like this, a dedicated machine / gadget for one task will always be better than 1 for all,

but who knows maybe Dx0 have stepped it up a notch!

iphone (mainly but others available) lens / clip on stuff has been available for a while.

great for shots where you want more than the phones lens etc, but i'd be cautious about using it for stock. they do have better results, but imo with all things like this, a dedicated machine / gadget for one task will always be better than 1 for all,

This is not a lens or "clip on stuff".  This is essentially a camera without a digital back.  Your iPhone acts as the digital back.  Think of the attachment as a Mamiya 645 and the iPhone as a Digital Back to that body (of course this is not medium format but I'm trying to display the idea).  Aperture and shutter speed are controlled via software to the camera body.  The image is stored on your phone.

This isn't a piece of junk little magnet lens that fits over the lens of the iPhone.

AH, my bad, misunderstood!

This is not a lens or "clip on stuff".  This is essentially a camera without a digital back.  Your iPhone acts as the digital back.  Think of the attachment as a Mamiya 645 and the iPhone as a Digital Back to that body (of course this is not medium format but I'm trying to display the idea).  Aperture and shutter speed are controlled via software to the camera body.  The image is stored on your phone.

This isn't a piece of junk little magnet lens that fits over the lens of the iPhone.

Same size sensor as Sony RX100 in a smeller package.

How do you nose?

Is that a missmelling?

How smell is your smeller package?

Do grate things come in smeller packages?

Come from a smeller town or a begger town?

Knot Knot, whose their? Know One...

:D  :lol:

Yeh Yeh! I screwed up. I think we all know it should be SMALLER package.

By the way did you know that there is a German Alpine skier called Fanny Chmeller who competed in the 2010 winter olympics?

Yes it is true.

Allan

Same size sensor as Sony RX100 in a smeller package.

How do you nose?

Is that a missmelling?

How smell is your smeller package?

Do grate things come in smeller packages?

Come from a smeller town or a begger town?

Knot Knot, whose their? Know One...

You've outdone yourself, Jeff. Please continue posting. Brightens my day.

Paulette

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread but rather than start a new one, wondering if anyone has bought this - it seems to be sold out a lot so thinking it's popular. The photos on their site look amazing but hard to judge how they'd be printed large of course.

do you need their software to use it?

Guessing they'll be at PhotoExpo so hope I'll have a chance to check it out there. 

Archived