Smallest acceptable camera?

What is the smallest camera acceptable with QC ? Answers from those of you that have such a camera and can relate their success with QC would be great. I have a canon powershot G10 and have had some success getting shots thru QC. I can get it into a belt pouch. Its a bit bulky on my belt but it gives me freedom from carrying a bag. I am interested in an alternative to it?

I have been using a J1 Nikon successfully fitted with a 18mm No problem for QC and have made sales using it. Cost just £200. Great camera

that goes everywhere with me.

I'm using an RX100 M3 but had a M1 for a long time.  Lens on the M3 seems to have a better overall performance but with a shorter telephoto.  All the images you see in my collection were taken with RX100s and I get regular sales. Click on my Images total on the left to get an idea of what I submit from RX100s.    As for size - it easily fits in my shirt pocket!     No problem with QC.

Yes they fit in a shirt pocket or belt pouch. 240-270 grams

They all have the same sensor, which counts. Mk 2 and 3 have a backlit sensor. I don't see the difference, but tests (dpreview) suggest they're half a stop better at night.

You will need really good post skills to get a 100% QC rate from this. I am not that bad at Photoshop, but have failed QC quite a bit with images from the RX100. As with all cameras you will need to get used to it. The small size and the light weight will have an impact also.

Mk2 and 3 have wifi. Sony has apps. If you don't need all that, the Mk1 can be had for around 200 euros (not sure how much in Pesos) from Ebay, because a lot of folks now want an app with their camera.

wim

The Panasonic GM1 is around the same size as the Sony, maybe even slightly smaller. It has a bigger sensor than the Sony. I've got around 60 images taken with this camera through QC to date, with no failures (yet). The newer GM5 is both fractionally bigger and better specified.

Gareth

I have been using RX100 Mk1 for just over 2 years now.  Whenever I am outside the house it is in my pocket ready for us, even when I am carrying another camera.

It is as inconspicuous as you can get and  I have hundreds of images in my collection from it.   

The Mk1 is so good, I see no reason to upgrade to a Mk2 or Mk3.  If it gets stolen, broken, or just dies, I would buy a MK2 to replace it.   The Mk3 has an EVF, but I do not see this as a particular advantage as the LCD screen is so good.   The Mk3 has a 24-70EFL lens, while the Mk1 and 2 have 28-100EFL.   Experience has shown that I use the long end quite often.

The tilting screen on the M2 would make it a marginally better buy than a Mk1

I took my Sony mk1 and my Nikon D800 with me to St. Croix a year and a half ago, and shot both. Reviewing all of those images, I actually shot the Sony the most, because every time I stepped out of my cottage door 30 yards from the beach, the Sony was in a tiny purse with a few other essentials, the strap across my body.

There was no way I was going to carry the Nikon each time I stepped out to see what was going on. As a result, I captured a native Cruzan riding his horse down the beach, and a man building an elaborate sand castle with a shovel. As always, the best camera is the one you have with you. And my body couldn't handle lugging the D800 everywhere.

I can't say that IQ was that different, other than having a lot of megapixels to crop with if needed.

I saved the Nikon for deliberate shoots, like the crumbling buildings in Frederiksted, using my monopod. Also when I had a leg cramp at 3 am, went to the beach to walk it off and discovered a full moon setting over the Caribbean. Ran back, got the Nikon and a tripod.

Betty

I love my OMD-EM5 and Lumix G6 cameras (Which are pretty small to start with) but I carry an Olympus E-pl6 with me everywhere I go as it fits in any bag no problem with a 14-45mm attached. It even fits in my coat pocket with a 14mm lens on the front. Never had a problem with QC with that camera and it is tiny!

I have a Canon G11 which always passes QC but personally I am not especially happy with the quality of the images and am looking to replace t

Kumar

For a pocket camera and shooting video I am using a Canon G15,  I've had every Canon G since the 2.

Great little camera,  I can ski with one all day.

Nothing I've seen can come close to the D800, love mine and well worth the weight.

Similarly I've used a G12 for some years. Love its flip-out screen and 'macro' mode but, like Kumar, I've become less enchanted with its IQ, particularly since moving to the Fuji X-series. Using an iphone for Stockimo has also diverted my attention away from carrying small traditional cameras.

I saved the Nikon for deliberate shoots, like the crumbling buildings in Frederiksted, using my monopod. Also when I had a leg cramp at 3 am, went to the beach to walk it off and discovered a full moon setting over the Caribbean. Ran back, got the Nikon and a tripod.

Betty

Betty, "RAN back"???

Allan

PO, If you're asking about "smallest and best," you already have the answer (RX100 and its two younger sisters).

If you're asking about "small," there are many answers, as you'll see. And if you remove the term "pocket" from the equation, as I did, the possibilities expand further. I am so used to carrying a man-purse, my balance is off without it. It sits on my shoulder, unnoticed, hanging from an UPstrap. Nobody thinks, "Oh oh, here comes the photographer." In it I have one of my small Sonys. 

I can't believe anyone really carries a camera in a shirt pocket . . . but the RX100 will fit in one. For a moment or two, I considered keeping a camera in my pants pocket, but It would have to share space with my front-pocket wallet, half-frame reading glasses, broom, card carrier, a snack, $20 in small change, a Bic pen, two hankies, a colorful napkin, two selfdefense weapons, and a grocery shopping list. Yes, I have a photography vest or two and several jackets with roomy pockets. Going to a fancy restaurant? I still have a light navy blazer with a zippered inside breast pocket that could hold a RX100. But I don't go to fancy restaurants anymore, and even here in NYC, there is no longer a dress code. 

Betty

Betty, "RAN back"???

Allan

Oh, yes, I can run short distances, and from where I spied the full moon, it was a matter of 10-15 running steps! My cottage had about 20 feet of lawn and path before reaching the beach, and I saw the moon while still on the path.

Look at DPGDYB taken with the RX100 at dawn, and S07AFY taken with my LG3 13mp camera phone. (Stockimo). Both of these were taken from where I stood on my cottage veranda.

Betty

Betty, "RAN back"???

Allan

Oh, yes, I can run short distances, and from where I spied the full moon, it was a matter of 10-15 running steps! My cottage had about 20 feet of lawn and path before reaching the beach, and I saw the moon while still on the path.

Look at DPGDYB taken with the RX100 at dawn, and S07AFY taken with my LG3 13mp camera phone. (Stockimo). Both of these were taken from where I stood on my cottage veranda.

Betty DPGDYB has a distinct magenta cast whereas S07AFY does not. Where these images taken about the same time?

Allan

Betty

Betty, "RAN back"???

Allan

Betty DPGDYB has a distinct magenta cast whereas S07AFY does not. Where these images taken about the same time?

Allan

No, they weren't taken at the same time. DPGDYB was taken at dawn about 5:30 am. There was a definite pink cast before the sun rose, turning the clouds rose or pink and reflecting that color into the water. So the color is as it should be. The other one, taken with my cell phone and on Stockimo, was taken well into day. I only showed these to demonstrate how close my cottage was to the water, since I took them both from my deck, thus "didn't have far to run!"

Archived