The Search Engine - images won't be added for a day or two

Hi everyone,

We're currently doing some work on the technical side of our search engine which means it won't be refreshing with new images tomorrow, and possibly not for the rest of the week. 

We appreciate this situation isn't ideal and might be annoying / inconvenient, but it's unavoidable and we're working as hard as possible to get things up to date as soon as possible.

We really appreciate your patience.

Cheers

Alamy

Some full timers, including myself, have seen

serious drop** in zooms since re-rank & wonder, if our

zooms have collectively dropped, whose (who's?) have

correspondingly risen??  Wouldn't it be dandy if this is a

related "fix" & zooms rise back to about where they were...

**but yesterday for first time in April, my zooms near normal...

Not only full-timers, but tiny part-timers, too!

• Zooms (and, more importantly, sales) down since re-rank
  • A number of searches which have drawn up results inconsistent with previous similars
  • Ditto: yesterday (13th April) more than doubled my zooms for the month

Mind you, from what I recall of the thread at the time, many contributors to the forum had seen a corresponding increase in zooms.  Winners and losers, swings and roundabouts...

I'm just hoping that 13th April wasn't the glitch!

Let's hope someone is fixing Search.

As a consequence of changes in Search at the same time of the re-rank we now see massive clumping of images from one or a couple of single contributors. Nice if it's my/your photos. Not so nice if the results make Alamy (and all of us) look stupid.

Take this simple search: Washington White House at night

After half a page of results that are not too bad, there is one and a half pages of images that have nothing to do with the White House. Then the normal good ones appear again. The best of those would have been on the first rows of page one previous this re-rank/search overhaul.

With the old style search, the bad results would sink to the bottom in a year or two. Mainly because rank played a very big role in bringing images to the front. Images that clients liked. Now with the current search it will take much longer, if it happens at all. Current results look suspiciously a lot like the Creative Search when it started.

wim

Take this simple search: Washington White House at night

After half a page of results that are not too bad, there is one and a half pages of images that have nothing to do with the White House. Then the normal good ones appear again. The best of those would have been on the first rows of page one previous this re-rank/search overhaul.

wim

Looking better now Wim so hopefully an improvement - ignoring the many near identical similars on P1

As a consequence of changes in Search at the same time of the re-rank we now see massive clumping of images from one or a couple of single contributors. ...

wim

I noticed that, too. Not only are images from the same pseudo clumped together, but images from my different pseudos are clumped together whereas before they were widely separated. Strange. 

Sorry mate. 

I left some snout behind the radiator and there's some orange wine fermenting nicely in the bedframe.

Tried to find it, but my cell-mate got the 'ump: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/snout+radiator.html

Thanks Mark but as I do not smoke or imbibe Danny can have it.

Only thing that keeps me going in here is Betty's cooking.

Allan

Sorry mate. 

I left some snout behind the radiator and there's some orange wine fermenting nicely in the bedframe.

Tried to find it, but my cell-mate got the 'ump: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/snout+radiator.html

Don't know why that contributor loaded the same image some time after the first, going by the Alamy codes. Yes it is the same picture.

Allan

Sorry mate. 

Allan

How do you know I am in here?!!! Was it the smell of my pot roast that gave it away?

Sorry mate. 

Allan

How do you know I am in here?!!! Was it the smell of my pot roast that gave it away?

Hi Betty, I did not know you were in here. Sorry to here that. Did not smell your pot roast so you must be over the far side. (Downwind). :(  Does not look like I will be able to have any of your home cooked food as we cannot trust it to arrive by messenger.

Allan

I see betty did a double post. There is no need to put anything in the box if you do that by mistake.

For everyones information all you need to do with the second post is go into "More Reply Options" where you will find a "Cancel" button. Just click on it and walla second post is gone.

Allan

Sorry mate. 

Allan

Hi Betty, I did not know you were in here. Sorry to here that. Did not smell your pot roast so you must be over the far side. (Downwind). :(  Does not look like I will be able to have any of your home cooked food as we cannot trust it to arrive by messenger.

Allan

Fortunately 'er indoors is very good at this cooking malarkey so I'm well sorted without the pot roast. Still a bit jealous though.

Archived