Which Path in 2015?

Stu,

On which phone to use, Alamy writes:

It's easy, you can upload images straight from your iPhone.

The app is compatible with iPhone iOS 7 and above. If you've got an iPhone 4 or above you'll be okay.

If you haven't, why not get a new phone ;-)?

I was thinking about having a go at Stockimo but when it comes to smart phones I am a total Luddite. I rarely use the £10 pay as you go phone I have. I don't want the latest and greatest as I don't want to throw much money at it. I am just not sure which model iphone is cost effective. I assume the cameras on these phones improve with each new model. Which model do other people use and which camera is good enough? Is it worth it? I still love the 5d2 and have a compact that passes QC so I'm just not sure if would add anything for me in terms of shots or sales. ??

I don't use my phone much either, not as a phone anyway, but I do like to have one with me just in case. I got the iphone 4s because I needed a new (secondhand) phone, these are cheap to pick up as so many people just upgrade. Its on a pay as you go so costs little to run and I do find it useful - I use it to play music when travelling, use the internet when out and I can find a free connection and I do use the camera for stockimo when the mood takes me. I am not impressed with the quality of the camera but it is fun and quick to use, I do see it as totally different to my usually photography (with 5dII). I don't see as there were much improvements on the camera of the iphone 5, don't know what has changed on the 6 but I wouldn't consider paying that for a phone anyway!

Thanks for those points Callie and Doug. So iphone 4 and above is ok, and affordable perhaps. I do need a new phone. The one I have is terrible really! The camera seems to make a significant improvement with the 5s from what I have seen but that is a bit too much to pay IMO. I'd rather spend it on "proper" kit. But It might be fun. We'll see.

Stu.

Thanks for those points Callie and Doug. So iphone 4 and above is ok, and affordable perhaps. I do need a new phone. The one I have is terrible really! The camera seems to make a significant improvement with the 5s from what I have seen but that is a bit too much to pay IMO. I'd rather spend it on "proper" kit. But It might be fun. We'll see.

Stu.

I would perhaps go for the 4s and above. The 4s had the 8mp camera, the 4 still 5mp. See comparisons here too.

With falling revenues from traditional stock it is largely a question equipment-wise of rowing with the rowlocks I have got. One of the best investments in the last year was in software.

Video is fun to do and is another feather to the cap, string to the bow etc. The main objection for investing time and money in video is it still seems to be a stab in the dark. What the earnings are/can be is still opaque, for me at least.

A wee edit. The biggest changes which will be effected in the next year are less about equipment but about subject matter and outlets.

Spot on Richard,

I won't be jumping on the mirrorless merry-go-round, 171,000 on my 5D2 and when that breaks it will replaced with whatever is around (Mk3/4). The only thing I might invest in is a new Billingham - current bag was a stop gap and frankly doesn't present well when working.

Zero interest in phone pics for here, have done a few for one agency and may piggy-back a phone shoot on to a 'proper' lifestyle shoot this year...big 'maybe' for that.

Looking at 4k video so a BM URSA might be high on shopping list but not totally convinced about returns - started seeing some video used on sites like Paypal, so gradually becoming a believer!!

Main focus will remain the same, commercial outlets....chasing the money!!

Like a proper little journalist of old I did state my main point in the headline and the first graph, but as often happens in the forum we slip into talking about equipment. I am no innocent it this practice.  :)

If I were doing what you do most, Geoff, I would stay with the larger, high-quality DSLRs, too. 

Someone here mentioned using the recording devise in their iPhone to take location notes. If I'm out and not carrying a real camera, I sometimes snap a pic with my old iPhone as a visual note. I went through a period of using a mini-cassette recorder for notes. Since I talk too much and don't trust my spelling, that made a lot of extra work for myself when transcribing. I finally went back to carrying a small moleskin notebook. 

And another camera bag! Oh boy, do I not need anymore of those. 

I have retired in 2014 from the Highway Patrol as a Network Technician, and hope to have more time to put into photography.  I hope to concentrate on the southern US with NC, SC, GA and Tennessee being the main states.  For fun and for stock I have two Battleships on my list, the Wisconsin located in Norfolk, VA and the North Carolina located in Wilmington, NC.  Since retiring I and moving back to the mountains of NC so may spend time in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.  

As for equipment I will be sticking to Nikon DSLRs but am looking at Sony Mirrorless.  I would like to look at a light tent for doing still-life shots when its not nice outside.  I currently have Photoshop CC that gives me Photoshop and Lightroom for processing pics.  I may consider a new Computer for my photo processing, as I am currently using a laptop.  2015 here we come.

Marvin

:)  

I'm referring to Alamy and stock and photography in general, and I'm thinking about Alamy Stock, News and Stockimo.

I'm planning to stay with mainstream stock, myself, shooting more of the subjects that have sold best for me, and also trying to find one or two other subjects that I can manage. I am in the process of going all-mirrorless and selling off all my Nikon DSLRs and lenses. This is a part-time retirement effort for me now.

I've noticed that many of you are following all the paths, venturing forth loaded down with an iPhone, a tiny pocket camera, smaller/lighter mirrorless cameras and a full bag of monster DSLRs and giant zooms. I'm wrong, right? You have a nice clear day and your time is free to shoot. What do you chose to bring along?  :)

Edo

I am now retired from my commercial / editorial portrait business.  I am a 100% stock photographer in semi-retirement, just to stay sane. :-)  My main focus will be get my portfolio up to 200 images by years end.  I want to submit a little more creative images though, not just the mundane.  Not sure how that will work out as Alamy has pretty strict submission guidelines.  I'll probably spend some time in jail as I see how far I can go.  Either that or I chicken out…LOL

I am now a 100% Fuji X system shooter.  I intend on probably only one new lens this year and one new camera body, X-Pro2, when it is released.  Coming from lugging around that brick of a camera, Nikon D4, the Fujis are a breath of fresh air.

My main goal is to just enjoy photography as a creative outlet!

I'm actually not sure what path to take in 2015. Currently, I'm sitting back and reassessing things. Sales were very good on Alamy last year, but I'm not certain that just adding more and more images will improve them much. I see myself being more selective about what I photograph and uploading fewer images this year. My travel shots still do best on Alamy but limited finances probably won't allow me to do much (or any) international wandering.

P.S. I think I'm also suffering form information and image overload. Hence the needed break.

If you want to see anything like regular sales, consider putting a zero on that 200.

Yikes!  Living in rural Central Alabama, I don't think that will be possible this year.   :D

I do get your point though.  On another thread about CTR I'm seeing various philosophies about what makes a good library.  This is pretty new to me.  Learning quite a lot, actually, from this forum.

I am thinking with the economy recovering fairly well here in the US that there will be an uptick in spending on stock photography.  Gasoline prices have fallen to less than half of what they were a year ago, which puts more disposable income in peoples pockets for things like travel.  I know Europe and the UK are recovering at a slower pace but hopefully thing will improve this year.  Alamy has opened more offices and that should start to bear fruit. 

I just went from the IPhone 4s to the 6 and the difference in cameras is significant.  The 6 has an f/2 lens and its close focusing and sharpness is really good for such a tiny thing.  My only complaint is there is too much depth of field at all apertures I assume because of the tiny sensor.  I installed an app which gives me control over shutter speed and ISO (up to 2000) and other functions which give more creative control.  Image stabilization seems to work quite well.  I also purchased the Photoshop App and it is quite similar to the desktop software so fairly easy to learn.  Apparently I don't have the Brain it takes to make Stockimo style photos though as I seem to get more rejections than acceptances.  Time to upgrade to brain 2.0 I guess.  As long a Wall Street and the Banks don't mess it up again it should be a pretty good year.  Happy New Year All!  Have fun while you are doing this.

If you want to see anything like regular sales, consider putting a zero on that 200.

Yikes!  Living in rural Central Alabama, I don't think that will be possible this year.   :D

I do get your point though.  On another thread about CTR I'm seeing various philosophies about what makes a good library.  This is pretty new to me.  Learning quite a lot, actually, from this forum.

Rick,

Here's a great read about a forum regular who never travels far, just shoots local;

http://www.alamy.com/blog/2014/08/selling-stock-photos-online-with-alamy-250k-and-counting

Rick,

Here's a great read about a forum regular who never travels far, just shoots local;

http://www.alamy.com/blog/2014/08/selling-stock-photos-online-with-alamy-250k-and-counting

Kevin,

Can't thank you enough for that link.  That is a very inspiring article on a very good photographer.  I have a lot to learn about editorial reportage!  My professional career was pretty much in a studio shooting commercial business portraits etc.  Nothing like what I'm trying to accomplish now.  I have to tell you though, this is a lot more fun, and at the same time, can be very frustrating.  :-)  

I will definitely have to follow Keith's advice to succeed.  Thanks again!!

I have a few goals rather than a change in direction. I am going to stay with my chosen speciality and continue to give the income away but am going to concentrate on enjoying my photography as an experience more rather than worrying about my lack of new images. 

staying with my 5d outfit and lenses although they are heavy. However out here in Nevis in the Caribbean sunshine there is plenty of time to swim and laze around and of course paint my house. ( continual job).. it is called www.villaverandah.com

Archived