I've been trying to get details about 3 UK books and 3 UK magazines my images are used in, and Google has run out of hits. I've found one of each after hours of searching, but now I'm stuck.

Any particular methods you use for hunting down such usage?

Just google the DACs entry on the Alamy blog. It will tell you how to do a claim just using Alamy data.

Can't link as on iPhone.

I've been trying to get details about 3 UK books and 3 UK magazines my images are used in, and Google has run out of hits. I've found one of each after hours of searching, but now I'm stuck.

Any particular methods you use for hunting down such usage?

Just google the DACs entry on the Alamy blog. It will tell you how to do a claim just using Alamy data.

Can't link as on iPhone.

probably here: http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2009/07/16/4770.aspx

thanks!

http://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/frequently-asked-questions#FAQ164

"You can claim for any artwork or photograph that has appeared in a UK book or magazine up until the end of the previous year, so long as you own the copyright."

It's only for UK published books/journals/magazines, a worldwide book published in another territory does not, does not count!!

Yes, but a "Worldwide" or "English Language" licensed image could conceivably have been published in the UK. No?

The territory is listed in the download.....

Yes, I know, but the majority of my sales, especially recent ones just specify "Country: Worldwide" or "Country:World English Language."

Hunting down each one these sales in order to find out if it might have appeared in a UK publication seems like a Herculean task. Or am I missing something? This process doesn't sound "easy peasy" to me.

For instance, how are you supposed to know if a sale like this ended up being published in the UK?

Usage: Editorial

Media: Textbook - print and e-book

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1 page

Start: 01 January 2014

End: 01 January 2024

Download the .csv file and the final column will show the territory. (This is additional information to that seen in the Summary of Items Sold)

Thanks, I finally clued into that -- didn't scroll far enough to the right. Turns out I have a lot more UK and Worldwide/UK licenses than I thought.

Oh, that 2009 blog. I can identify 25 RM and 9 RF images using that method.  I'm missing info on the other 60 RF images that qualify.

About 70% of my images are RF, so no help from Alamy.  Unless Alamy has a change of heart, since they know which 94 images qualify, they could just say which ones they are. 

Would that really be so much trouble?  I don't see why RF images should be excluded.

One thing to keep in mind (sorry if this has been said before) is that DACS will only pay directly to a UK mainland bank account. I am a Brit but bank offshore (Channel Isles) due to my travels and have not been able to finalise my DACS payments for two years because I don't have a UK bank account.

They wire money to my US (Bank of America) account without any problems.

Was the wire transfer in GBP (British Pounds) or USD? Is it possible to specify a currency to be paid in?

Oh, that 2009 blog. I can identify 25 RM and 9 RF images using that method.  I'm missing info on the other 60 RF images that qualify.

About 70% of my images are RF, so no help from Alamy.  Unless Alamy has a change of heart, since they know which 94 images qualify, they could just say which ones they are. 

Would that really be so much trouble?  I don't see why RF images should be excluded.

Reimar, I don't think Alamy well help unless you hand over 50%, which is why I've had a change of heart and am going to go it on my own.

Good luck.

I decided to try on my own, too. I have the IBSN and book title for one sale so I was able to fill that in. There are two more lines for that info so I just put Alamy Sale and Unknown as the titles. I assume my images only appear once in each book so I filled it in that way. I got the number of sales from my Alamy Sales that were Worldwide print books. I am hoping not to have to deal with the cvs. file but their acknowledgment said they will contact me if they need more info. I gave them my bank information in the US for payment and the application says that they will take out 20% tax from foreign applications. The email acknowledgment said I can revise my application anytime before September 30. So I hope that is it. It looks like they will keep this information on file and next year I would only have to add any new sales.

Paulette

I have just done the same as Paulette but without any ISBN numbers. I have put "Alamy claim 2013 in the mandatory boxes is that acceptable?

or do you have to provide ISBN data?. I have emailed the download statement to DACS to support the claim.

Useful that the application can be edited up to the end of September.

regards

sitting here with a headache

Craig

I have just done the same as Paulette but without any ISBN numbers. I have put "Alamy claim 2013 in the mandatory boxes is that acceptable?

or do you have to provide ISBN data?. I have emailed the download statement to DACS to support the claim.

regards

Craig

I'm just putting "See Alamy Spreadsheet" in all the ISBN boxes since I plan to e-mail them the whole darn thing.

I decided to try on my own, too. I have the IBSN and book title for one sale so I was able to fill that in. There are two more lines for that info so I just put Alamy Sale and Unknown as the titles. I assume my images only appear once in each book so I filled it in that way. I got the number of sales from my Alamy Sales that were Worldwide print books. I am hoping not to have to deal with the cvs. file but their acknowledgment said they will contact me if they need more info. I gave them my bank information in the US for payment and the application says that they will take out 20% tax from foreign applications. The email acknowledgment said I can revise my application anytime before September 30. So I hope that is it. It looks like they will keep this information on file and next year I would only have to add any new sales.

Paulette

Paulette, did they mention whether you would be paid -- assuming there will be some money left in the kitty -- in GBP (British Pounds) or USD?

regards

Craig

I'm just putting "See Alamy Spreadsheet" in all the ISBN boxes since I plan to e-mail them the whole darn thing.

Cheers John, well if we have done it wrong we will soon find out.

Regards

Craig

I had the opportunity to say that it would be "International Payment" and then I was able to put in my US bank info so I don't know what currency will be sent.

Paulette

I had the opportunity to say that it would be "International Payment" and then I was able to put in my US bank info so I don't know what currency will be sent.

Paulette

Thanks, perhaps someone else on the forum knows if DACS pays in different currencies.

One thing to keep in mind (sorry if this has been said before) is that DACS will only pay directly to a UK mainland bank account. I am a Brit but bank offshore (Channel Isles) due to my travels and have not been able to finalise my DACS payments for two years because I don't have a UK bank account.

Was the wire transfer in GBP (British Pounds) or USD? Is it possible to specify a currency to be paid in?

John,

When money arrives in my account it's always in US$ as that's the currency my account is in.  Are you asking me if the money was in GBP when it originated from DACS account?

John,

When money arrives in my account it's always in US$ as that's the currency my account is in.  Are you asking me if the money was in GBP when it originated from DACS account?

Yes, that's right. I'm wondering if DACS originally sends the payment in GBP and your bank converts it to USD, or if they pay US residents in USD.

The reason I ask is that I have a USD account (I live in Canada), and I would rather have DACS send USD if possible (assuming that I get something from them).

Thanks

John,

Yes, that's right. I'm wondering if DACS originally sends the payment in GBP and your bank converts it to USD, or if they pay US residents in USD.

The reason I ask is that I have a USD account (I live in Canada), and I would rather have DACS send USD if possible (assuming that I get something from them).

Thanks

If they send USD, you receive USD, If the send in GBP you will receive USD, so why does it matter?

John,

Thanks

If they send USD, you receive USD, If the send in GBP you will receive USD, so why does it matter?

As mentioned, I have a USD account and would rather have the money stay in USD -- i.e. not be converted to CAN from GBP, which is what happens if I don't use my CAN $ account for incoming transfers. Anyway, no big deal, I'll contact DACS about it. Thanks.

John,

Thanks

As mentioned, I have a USD account and would rather have the money stay in USD -- i.e. not be converted to CAN from GBP, which is what happens if I don't use my CAN $ account for incoming transfers. Anyway, no big deal, I'll contact DACS about it. Thanks.

Yup ask DACS 

Judging by the information on the DACS site, Canadians (and Americans) shouldn't have to lose a 20% withholding tax.  Our tax treaties allow for no deduction.  I e-mailed in my Residency form, and am hoping that my Certification of Canadian residency from my taxman (that I have for agefotostock) will suffice.  Anyone else try this?

Judging by the information on the DACS site, Canadians (and Americans) shouldn't have to lose a 20% withholding tax.  Our tax treaties allow for no deduction.  I e-mailed in my Residency form, and am hoping that my Certification of Canadian residency from my taxman (that I have for agefotostock) will suffice.  Anyone else try this?

I went back into my application to check what that is about and found that some items were incorrect -- like my date of birth was 1901. I'm not THAT old. It also said I claimed to be a UK resident but I am not and I'm sure I originally put it in correctly.  I think I have corrected things although now it has the wrong day for my birthday. I think I will wait until tomorrow (or thereafter) and check it all again and fix the birth date. The thing I would have to do for the taxes seems really complicated. I might just make a note to ask my accountant about it next year. I assume I will be able to change it for further claims.

Paulette

Yes, Canada and the UK no doubt have a tax treaty that prevents double taxation, so they probably shouldn't be withholding any taxes. I have an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) issued by the IRS that allows me to take advantage of the tax treaty between Canada and the USA. Perhaps Her Majesty's revenue service issues something similar. Don't know.

Yes, will work.

However only for one year- you must get a new certificate for every year you wish to claim. Alternatively, you can apply for Double Taxation Relief from HMRC to allow the UK Double Taxation Treaty rate to run indefinitely.

This info is for US citizens, but same applies for other countries with Double Taxation Treaties with UK:

The UK/USA Double Taxation Treaty rate is 0% (as per the HMRC Double Taxation digest available here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/dtdigest.pdf) and I’ve been able to find the UK/USA Double Taxation Relief application form which can be downloaded from the HMRC website here before being sent to the US tax authorities: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=maQrJYM2cIc&formId=985.

Hope that helps.

-Jason

Did mine this morning - it only took 20 minutes.

1] Download sales from Alamy for 2103 in xl spreadsheet

2] fish out any 'foreign' or newspaper sales 

3] log on to DACS and fill in form

4] email DACS with spreadsheet

Job's a good un!!

John.

Did mine this morning - it only took 20 minutes.

1] Download sales from Alamy for 2103 in xl spreadsheet

2] fish out any 'foreign' or newspaper sales 

3] log on to DACS and fill in form

4] email DACS with spreadsheet

Job's a good un!!

John.

I don't bother doing number 2 John, and still include sales for earlier years. DACS is earning from this so let them do the work.

Allan

Archived