Hi

i have also email from ALAMY ...

and iam not sure at several points: 

if i claim this year with ALAMY could i claim next year direct?

ALAMY claim for images from past (2012,2011 etc)?

if i sold images "worldwide" respective in many countries is it possible to register and claim over simillar agencies like DACS in another countries? like above ARSNY

thanks,

Petr

Is anyone else finding that their information isn't sticking? Once again when I checked my claim my date of birth had reverted to 01-January-1901 and I was a UK resident -- which I am not. I corrected it again and was careful to save each page. It is correct now so I hope it will stay so.

Paulette

Is anyone else finding that their information isn't sticking? Once again when I checked my claim my date of birth had reverted to 01-January-1901 and I was a UK resident -- which I am not. I corrected it again and was careful to save each page. It is correct now so I hope it will stay so.

Paulette

Try clicking the "SAVE" button at the bottom of each page of the application after you've put in the info. That might help with the sticking problem.

Yes, yes, yes. As I said….. I corrected it again and was careful to save each page. 

Paulette

PS.  I know you are trying to help. I don't mean to sound cranky. It is always the same two things that shift -- my birth date and my lack of UK residency.

Yes, yes, yes. As I said….. I corrected it again and was careful to save each page. 

Paulette

PS.  I know you are trying to help. I don't mean to sound cranky. It is always the same two things that shift -- my birth date and my lack of UK residency.

Hmmm... Don't know what might be causing that. Have you tried asking DACS about it?

P.S. I think that DACS might be overloaded with e-mails. I have one that has been outstanding for a couple of days. But, then again, there's no rush.

Paulette

try a different browser

Thanks, Allan. I'm going to wait a few days and check again. It was fine when I checked it right after re-doing it but that was true in the past too.

Paulette

The DACS registration form asks a lot of questions I can't answer so I think this time around I'll let Alamy deal with it. DACS mentions something about additional claims for work published in the Netherlands. Alamy didn't mention this. Has anyone tried to claim for these shots ?  Then there was the brilliant suggestion that we approach our local collection societies. Perhaps it might work in some areas but in South Africa, you would grow very old before someone understood what you were talking about. And then another lifetime to trace the money.  

I'm a Canadian resident.  In Canada copyright royalties are distributed by Access Copyright (accesscopyright.ca). They only allow Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (not residing in Quebec -- there's a separate Quebec organization) to be a member.  

I've been collecting from Access Copyright for at least 4 years now.  It is similar to the DACS process (except that they don't accept the Alamy spreadsheet but initially require a couple real ISBNs and some proof that you've actually been published).  As I understand it, DACS and other national organizations pass some of their royalties around to sister organizations in other countries and if you collect from your local society, you can't (shouldn't??) collect from the foreign ones.  It is interesting that DACS doesn't seem to have restrictions on residency (or being a member of another copyright collection society.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that they respond to applicants from Canada by saying that you should join your local since they already send a chunk of their UK money to Access Copyright and it would seem that they'd be paying twice.  If you can get around that by hiring a local agent (like Alamy) then they have a flaw in their process.

On the Access Copyright site it states (my emphasis):

Who can become an affiliate of Access Copyright?
If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, outside the province of Quebec, you can register with Access Copyright provided that you meet the following requirements:

-You own reproduction rights to at least one work published in a print format such as a book, magazine, newspaper or scholarly journal and is also commercially available.
-You are not already affiliated with any other reproduction rights organization (such as COPIBEC in Quebec). 
-You are a writer, editor, translator and/or visual artist (i.e. illustrator, photographer, designer). 

I guess that technically it is saying that if I was already a member of DACS then I couldn't join Access Copyright, but I could always join DACS later... 
Canadian creators may be missing out on some Canadian-only revenue by not registering with Access Copyright since it would make sense that more of their revenue would come from Canadian sources than a typical Brit.

I'm a Canadian resident.  In Canada copyright royalties are distributed by Access Copyright (accesscopyright.ca). They only allow Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (not residing in Quebec -- there's a separate Quebec organization) to be a member.  

I've been collecting from Access Copyright for at least 4 years now.  It is similar to the DACS process (except that they don't accept the Alamy spreadsheet but initially require a couple real ISBNs and some proof that you've actually been published).  As I understand it, DACS and other national organizations pass some of their royalties around to sister organizations in other countries and if you collect from your local society, you can't (shouldn't??) collect from the foreign ones.  It is interesting that DACS doesn't seem to have restrictions on residency (or being a member of another copyright collection society.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that they respond to applicants from Canada by saying that you should join your local since they already send a chunk of their UK money to Access Copyright and it would seem that they'd be paying twice.  If you can get around that by hiring a local agent (like Alamy) then they have a flaw in their process.

On the Access Copyright site it states (my emphasis):

Who can become an affiliate of Access Copyright?
If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, outside the province of Quebec, you can register with Access Copyright provided that you meet the following requirements:

-You own reproduction rights to at least one work published in a print format such as a book, magazine, newspaper or scholarly journal and is also commercially available.
-You are not already affiliated with any other reproduction rights organization (such as COPIBEC in Quebec). 
-You are a writer, editor, translator and/or visual artist (i.e. illustrator, photographer, designer). 

I guess that technically it is saying that if I was already a member of DACS then I couldn't join Access Copyright, but I could always join DACS later... 
Canadian creators may be missing out on some Canadian-only revenue by not registering with Access Copyright since it would make sense that more of their revenue would come from Canadian sources than a typical Brit.

Thanks for this info. I haven't joined Access Copyright, but I'm aware of them. Can you clarify what you mean by "Canadian-only revenue"?

Archived