@ spacecadet

I totally would (do it myself) but I can only provide a list of 20 licenses listed in the Alamy sales report compared to the 44 the Alamy claims I am entitled for. I don't know how else I could provide proof to DACS other than the Alamy sales report... ?!?

I also thought only RM sales do qualify.

I'm trying to figure out whether I'm "better" off letting Alamy make the claim for me over 44 licenses minus their take and the 50% or doing the claim myself with only 20 licenses that I can prove.

I included everything up to Dec 2013. That's why I'm so hesitant to file myself. I'm missing 22 licenses in my sales report (RM that is). Is it possible that Alamy has details about RF sales that have been made for the UK territory?

Alamy's email said I had 12 eligible and I've so far counted 10, so they may have a bit more info. Your discrepancy is much greater though. Ask MS about it.

I don't think they'd deny you the details if you asked for them. You can include any uses you have tracked down yourself, of course.

@ Spacecadet:

I did contact MS regarding all those questions but never received a response - hence my post here on the forums.

And also my question about previous years' licence compensation, so I could get an idea whether it is worth my time to try to track down the missing 24 licenses on my own.

If a license would net me $25 a piece, then I would try to hunt down some licenses myself. But if a license through DACS pays me $2 then it's a waste of my time doing all the work myself.

Odd, I've never had a message ignored by MS.

The number of licences does determine the fee, but it's banded, not per item. Last year I got about £38 for about 8 licences so this must be the minimum. I don't know where the next band starts.

This is the first time I didn't get a response from MS. It might have just got buried by a flood of request these days.

Thanks for your info on the license commissions you received last year.

With this announcement from Alamy, I'm sure a few thousand additional photographers will make a claim this year which will result in a smaller license fee payout.

I think I will hand this over to Alamy, so I can move on.

Hi everybody. As I understand we discuss payback for only sales from Alamy. What do you think about another stock? Getty for example, or microstock (RF)? How can we find out at DACS about sales from any other agensies?

Hi everybody. As I understand we discuss payback for only sales from Alamy. What do you think about another stock? Getty for example, or microstock (RF)? How can we find out at DACS about sales from any other agensies?

DACS covers all UK for Payback so any qualifying usage from any agency in the UK and direct.

I keep a record of my sales through all of my agencies, and my direct sales. If you don't then you'll have to go around the loop with the others as well and then claim it yourself because Alamy are only going to claim on your behalf for what they have sold

Regarding Getty my contract stipulates that only they can collect royalties on pictures that they represent, may be different for other photographers but I suspect it may well be in all contracts.  Though not sure what action Getty might take if you ignored it and claimed direct, or even if they would know you had.

Guys you need to get this straight in your heads.

You are not being paid for an additional usage, you are being paid a small slice of the money collected by DACS from organisations which photocopy, scan or otherwise duplicate material (e.g. an entire page or article from a magazine). You may or may not have had any of your images used in this fashion but in order to divide up the money "fairly" you get more of the pot if you have a larger potential for your images to have been used.

Getty won't know about it, and therefore can't collect it as a specific image usage - that is what DACS is there for. Alamy have found a way to potentially make some more revenue by helping you claim based on what they know about your sales but if you sell from multiple agencies or directly only you will know the true extent.

I think what the guys are saying is that Getty stipulate in their contract that only they can collect Getty 'sales' from DACs, you cannot use them as part of your own direct DACs claim.

I think what the guys are saying is that Getty stipulate in their contract that only they can collect Getty 'sales' from DACs, you cannot use them as part of your own direct DACs claim.

If that is the case and the Getty contract specifically refers to DACS Payback then I obviously made too much of an assumptive leap and would apologise.

If that is the case and the Getty contract specifically refers to DACS Payback then I obviously made too much of an assumptive leap and would apologise.

Getty, via their forum, stated that they alone could claim for DACs from their sales - this backed up what the various contracts that I've had stated about their exclusive rights (DACs is not specifically mentioned but the exclusions to the exclusive rights are). They still need the authorisation from the contributor....in my case they didn't get it, so those sales have always gone unclaimed.

Since I terminated my contract, I guess I could now use those if I ever needed to.

After receiving a message from alamy saying there were 3 licenses I could claim for, I sent an email to DACS.  After a week, I hadn't  received an answer, so I wrote again, and I still haven't heard from DACS. I included a statement of my sales covering the period from 2010, when I started with Alamy, to the end of 2013.

We have only a few more days to make our claim... 

After receiving a message from alamy saying there were 3 licenses I could claim for, I sent an email to DACS.  After a week, I hadn't  received an answer, so I wrote again, and I still haven't heard from DACS. I included a statement of my sales covering the period from 2010, when I started with Alamy, to the end of 2013.

We have only a few more days to make our claim... 

Then you need to follow the very straightforward claiming process on the DACS website, or hand it over to Alamy.

No where does it say that sending DACS an email is how you make a claim.

Here is the relevant page (there is a big button on it marked APPLY NOW)

http://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback

It doesn't say that, but DACS do. You fill in the form with 'Alamy claim 2014' instead of any ISBN/ISSN numbers you don't have and send them a spreadsheet of your net revenue with the relevant sales. There's a thread on the forum about it.

That's what I was asked to do and that's what I've done, twice.

It doesn't say that, but DACS do. You fill in the form with 'Alamy claim 2014' instead of any ISBN/ISSN numbers you don't have and send them a spreadsheet of your net revenue with the relevant sales. There's a thread on the forum about it.

That's what I was asked to do and that's what I've done, twice.

Ditto.

Very straightforward. Have done this for the last 3 years with no problem.

I think the payout this year is going to be considerably lower than previous years with more people claiming - despite me having more sales to claim for.

John.

Hi!

I have yet another question! I went through all 13 pages and couldn't find an answer...

I have a few images that appear in scientific publications (science articles) and some are from the UK (I wasn't paid for it though, if that changes something). So do you guys think I can add these claims in my DACS profile? I saw the word "journal" somewhere but don't know if it applies t scientific journals. I will probably email DACS fo this one, but seeing that they don't answer many people I thought I'd ask around here. 

I'm a Canadian resident.  In Canada copyright royalties are distributed by Access Copyright (accesscopyright.ca). They only allow Canadian citizen or a permanent resident (not residing in Quebec -- there's a separate Quebec organization) to be a member.  

I've been collecting from Access Copyright for at least 4 years now.  It is similar to the DACS process (except that they don't accept the Alamy spreadsheet but initially require a couple real ISBNs and some proof that you've actually been published).  As I understand it, DACS and other national organizations pass some of their royalties around to sister organizations in other countries and if you collect from your local society, you can't (shouldn't??) collect from the foreign ones.  It is interesting that DACS doesn't seem to have restrictions on residency (or being a member of another copyright collection society.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that they respond to applicants from Canada by saying that you should join your local since they already send a chunk of their UK money to Access Copyright and it would seem that they'd be paying twice.  If you can get around that by hiring a local agent (like Alamy) then they have a flaw in their process.

On the Access Copyright site it states (my emphasis):

Who can become an affiliate of Access Copyright?
If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, outside the province of Quebec, you can register with Access Copyright provided that you meet the following requirements:

-You own reproduction rights to at least one work published in a print format such as a book, magazine, newspaper or scholarly journal and is also commercially available.
-You are not already affiliated with any other reproduction rights organization (such as COPIBEC in Quebec). 
-You are a writer, editor, translator and/or visual artist (i.e. illustrator, photographer, designer). 

I guess that technically it is saying that if I was already a member of DACS then I couldn't join Access Copyright, but I could always join DACS later... 
Canadian creators may be missing out on some Canadian-only revenue by not registering with Access Copyright since it would make sense that more of their revenue would come from Canadian sources than a typical Brit.

DACS covers books & mags published in the UK whereas accesscopyright seems to cover all publications "available" in Canada, so couldn't we make a claim for all other worldwide publications excluding the UK ones alongside a DACS claim with the UK items? That wouldn't be claiming twice (for the same items at least). What do you think?

Just filed my DACS claim, very easy to be honest, if I can do it I'm sure you can do it too!

Just download the Alamy .csv file as suggested in this thread and follow the advice other people have given. I emailed the modified spreadsheet to DACS and had a nice and helpful reply from them within 24 hours.

Archived