http://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/frequently-asked-questions#FAQ164

"You can claim for any artwork or photograph that has appeared in a UK book or magazine up until the end of the previous year, so long as you own the copyright."

It's only for UK published books/journals/magazines, a worldwide book published in another territory does not, does not count!!

Yes, but a "Worldwide" or "English Language" licensed image could conceivably have been published in the UK. No?

"You can claim for any artwork or photograph that has appeared in a UK book or magazine up until the end of the previous year, so long as you own the copyright."

It's only for UK published books/journals/magazines, a worldwide book published in another territory does not, does not count!!

Yes, but a "Worldwide" or "English Language" licensed image could conceivably have been published in the UK. No?

The territory is listed in the download.....

" Also, what if I claim beyond the current claim year -- going back to 2007? Or do you mean "current claim years"?

As far as I can tell, it's a running total.  Someone may photocopy a 2010 book with your picture in 2013.  So every year you claim for all your past licenses plus the additional year.

" Also, what if I claim beyond the current claim year -- going back to 2007? Or do you mean "current claim years"?

As far as I can tell, it's a running total.  Someone may photocopy a 2010 book with your picture in 2013.  So every year you claim for all your past licenses plus the additional year.

I think that part was just about the TV claims. TV claims can only be for one year and the magazine and books go all the way back. Personally, I don't know why Alamy doesn't seem to have counted my textbook and travel guide sales.

Paulette

So, when Alamy told me in their recent e-mail that I have 33 licenses eligible for claim, this number dates back to 2007 when I made my first sale? Or do they just mean in 2013? I've now made over 500 sales through Alamy, but very few are specified as being in the United Kingdom.

Yes, I know, but the majority of my sales, especially recent ones just specify "Country: Worldwide" or "Country:World English Language."

Hunting down each one these sales in order to find out if it might have appeared in a UK publication seems like a Herculean task. Or am I missing something? This process doesn't sound "easy peasy" to me.

For instance, how are you supposed to know if a sale like this ended up being published in the UK?

Usage: Editorial

Media: Textbook - print and e-book

Print run: up to 10,000

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1 page

Start: 01 January 2014

End: 01 January 2024

Paulette, If you're strictly based in America - have you looked for and found an organization to submit your claim to?

(I posted the below earlier, but buried the question, so no one may have noticed it.)

Below sounds to me like artists in USA do NOT currently qualify for a DAC-type royalty payment, but if I'm wrong...  Can someone post what organization I can submit claim to?

Since I'm in USA, I checked the United States' DAC sister society arsny.com and vagarights.com, and on the Vaga site found this:

"In some countries, artists and rights holders are entitled to a royalty payment upon the resale of their works of art. American-born artists are not currently entitled to receive this money because the U.S. does not have its own resale royalty law. VAGA and other American organizations recently introduced a bill to Congress that would make resale rights a U.S. law.

If an artist was born outside the U.S. or has residency outside the U.S., it is possible he or she or an estate may be eligible to collect royalties. The laws in foreign countries typically only authorize payments to be made to copyright collectives, who in turn, distribute the money to individual rights holders. If you think you may be eligible, please contact us."
(Vagarights.com)

I think that part was just about the TV claims. TV claims can only be for one year and the magazine and books go all the way back. Personally, I don't know why Alamy doesn't seem to have counted my textbook and travel guide sales.

Paulette

There is nothing complicated about this.  I don't get why people would let Alamy do it on their behalf and get 50% less.  Just go to DACS website and fill out a form.  Takes 5min.  Nothing complicated about it.  Straight forward.  You don't need to do this through any society.

Are you based in the UK?

No, US.

Still really confused. If I do decide to go it alone, can I claim all UK and Worldwide sales dating back to 2007 (when I made my first Alamy sale)  up to the end of 2013? This would probably amount to several hundred sales at this point. Or would I have to submit a different DACS form for each year that I haven't claimed? Or have I blown it?  Can I even claim sales made in years prior to 2013?

Confused in The Colonies (former colony, anyway)

P.S. A couple of other dumb questions. Just to get it straight, in order to make a DACS claim myself for 2013, I would create/download my Alamy sales report from January 1, 2013 until December 31, 2013 and remove all non-UK and non-Worldwide sales. Also, the DACS claim is calculated only on sales for which I was actually paid in 2013 irrespective of when they were invoiced (e.g. 2012). Correct? Or do they base the claim on "Date Cleared"?

Yes, you found all UK and worldwide sales dating back to whenever you made the first sale here on Alamy or anywhere up to the end of 2013.  You don't submit separately for each year.  Don't worry about submitting any Alamy report to DACS.  They will e-mail you and ask you for it IF the need it.

There is nothing complicated about this.  I don't get why people would let Alamy do it on their behalf and get 50% less.  Just go to DACS website and fill out a form.  Takes 5min.  Nothing complicated about it.  Straight forward.  You don't need to do this through any society.

Are you based in the UK?

No, US.

Do the number of licenses Alamy says you can claim match the number that you count in your sales record? They told me that I have 33 eligible licenses but I only count 19 UK licenses in the time period up to the end of 2013. How do you determine how many times your images were published in the UK?

P.S. Actually, I see now that the number is less than 19 because several of the UK licenses were to newspapers and travel brochures, which apparently don't count.

One thing to keep in mind (sorry if this has been said before) is that DACS will only pay directly to a UK mainland bank account. I am a Brit but bank offshore (Channel Isles) due to my travels and have not been able to finalise my DACS payments for two years because I don't have a UK bank account.

One thing to keep in mind (sorry if this has been said before) is that DACS will only pay directly to a UK mainland bank account. I am a Brit but bank offshore (Channel Isles) due to my travels and have not been able to finalise my DACS payments for two years because I don't have a UK bank account.

In that case, perhaps it's best to let Alamy do the work after all. I believe they will just credit the payment to your Alamy account.

Has anyone else based outside the UK had similar trouble getting paid?

Are you based in the UK?

No, US.

Do the number of licenses Alamy says you can claim match the number that you count in your sales record? They told me that I have 33 eligible licenses but I only count 19 UK licenses in the time period up to the end of 2013. How do you determine how many times your images were published in the UK?

P.S. Actually, I see now that the number is less than 19 because several of the UK licenses were to newspapers and travel brochures, which apparently don't count.

Alamy never e-mailed me about claiming DACS on my behalf.  I determine how many images were published in the UK by counting them in my Alamy sales report.

They wire money to my US (Bank of America) account without any problems.

In that case, perhaps it's best to let Alamy do the work after all. I believe they will just credit the payment to your Alamy account.

No, I have never experienced trouble getting paid.  I am outside of UK.  US bank account.

Yes, I know, but the majority of my sales, especially recent ones just specify "Country: Worldwide" or "Country:World English Language."

Hunting down each one these sales in order to find out if it might have appeared in a UK publication seems like a Herculean task. Or am I missing something? This process doesn't sound "easy peasy" to me.

For instance, how are you supposed to know if a sale like this ended up being published in the UK?

Looking in the wrong place. Download the csv file and all the territories are listed.

Download the .csv file and the final column will show the territory. (This is additional information to that seen in the Summary of Items Sold)

No, I have never experienced trouble getting paid.  I am outside of UK.  US bank account.

Interesting - I am going to have to speak to DACS again. Thanks

Download the .csv file and the final column will show the territory. (This is additional information to that seen in the Summary of Items Sold)

If I only look at sales that say UK in the final column it turns out I have no claim at all as those sales are for newspapers and websites. Yet Alamy says I have a claim. If I count Worldwide Books in my Sales History I get more items than Alamy says I have. I think I probably should just have Alamy do it. At this point it is not a large amount anyway.

Paulette

If I only look at sales that say UK in the final column it turns out I have no claim at all as those sales are for newspapers and websites. Yet Alamy says I have a claim. If I count Worldwide Books in my Sales History I get more items than Alamy says I have. I think I probably should just have Alamy do it. At this point it is not a large amount anyway.

Paulette

Don't pay attention to what Alamy's e-mail says (I never even received an e-mail from Alamy saying that they can claim it on my behalf because I'm outside of the UK, yet I submit every year).  Submit the amount you counted on your sales report and submit those numbers.  DACS will e-mail you if they want to see the sales report and at that point you send them that.  

Seriously, this is so easy.  

I've been trying to get details about 3 UK books and 3 UK magazines my images are used in, and Google has run out of hits.  I've found one of each after hours of searching, but now I'm stuck.

Any particular methods you use for hunting down such usage?

Archived