Another milestone....

RedSnapper

Congrats Keith on a great milestone. 

I don't understand all the red arrows for Luis. He is stating his opinion and not being rude or arrogant. He is not putting down Keith's work. 

Jill

exactly! I am just saying that km portfolio would make a ton more if he contributed to more agencies, I can tell you that I have way less than 27k, something like 1 to 6k pictures depending the agency and I am doing over 20k a year

what other agencies would accept this work.....unreleased secondary editorial

km

all microstock agencies would accept your work, your pictures are well edited and you know what you are doing, I am sure that agencies would approve most of them!

I am not defending other agencies, I am pretty much saying that your portfolio would do a lot more from a single microstock agency, the biggest one and its not iStock

km

all microstock agencies would accept your work, your pictures are well edited and you know what you are doing, I am sure that agencies would approve most of them!

I am not defending other agencies, I am pretty much saying that your portfolio would do a lot more from a single microstock agency, the biggest one and its not iStock

Luis, you are making some interesting points. The thing is that many of us don't want to get involved with microstock, even if it might generate more income in the short term. We have seen firsthand what microstock has done to stock photography prices. No doubt microstock works very well for some people, though.

km

It's true. Microstock agencies such as Shutterstock now accept secondary editorial work. But usage is limited.

Most documentary photographers of Keith's standing are professionals, or have a pro background. Why would they want to support a system that is in part destroying profressional photography in order that a few very clever people (generally a lot smarter than their contributors it seems) can make heaps of wonga?

Yes there are agencies (not micros) that are capable of giving photographers vastly higher returns for certain kinds of work, but Alamy is one of the best for everyday/social issues/other issues/ documentary work for the editorial market.

Couldn't agree more. Most editorial publishers -- educational, retail books, etc. -- still prefer/want RM images IME. I would probably lose most of my sales if I switched to RF or microstock.

Yes, congratulations, Sir. Very impressive. I guess this makes you the best paid streetwalker in Aberystwyth (wish I knew how to pronounce that).

The correct pronunciation is "abba-wrist-with" although some say, "abba-rust-with". In both cases, the final "-th" is pronounced more like it is in "pith" than it is in "with".

KM is an inspiration.

Yes, congratulations, Sir. Very impressive. I guess this makes you the best paid streetwalker in Aberystwyth (wish I knew how to pronounce that).

The correct pronunciation is "abba-wrist-with" although some say, "abba-rust-with". In both cases, the final "-th" is pronounced more like it is in "pith" than it is in "with".

KM is an inspiration.

thhhanks for that ... I'll have to practise

KM is an inspiration.

thhhanks for that ... I'll have to practise

Just call it 'Aber' (pronounced 'abba').  Not only is it easier, but you can pretend you're a local!

It CAN be done! Good for you, well done..... Makes me want to get my finger out and work at this. Great idea to do workshops too - will you be able to post some details of those?

£20k a year on the back of work that i've already been paid to do or is simply made walking about the streets of my town is not something i'm ashamed of

km

Nicely said, Keith. This is what stock is about. Not making millions, but making a living doing exactly what I would be doing otherwise!!!

Good numbers, and a late congrats from me.

-Jason

Congrats Keith.

One thing I noticed which seems to have been passed by is that Keith said "not bad for secondary editorial". If you look around I believe that Keith is in other places and I'm guessing would be earning a lot more than what is being suggested here ;)

I think to come on to a celebratory thread to bash in a generic fashion at Alamy is pretty lame. If I was sitting on 27k images and those stats I'd be wetting the bed. I wouldn't be having a go and stripping down price per image. *shakes head* 

Wish you more success in the future Keith. 

To make a living from photography is not easy and anyone who can do it deserves praise. I have managed it since I was 15 and I know that, like Keith, it takes graft, dedication and talent. Keith has also found the balance and variety of work that keeps him busy. Too many think of stock as an easy option or use it as a pocket money 'hobby'. Having said that, the fees for stock photography are pitiful nowadays. For many it has become the new camera club. (best advice I ever got when i was 15 was to never ever join a camera club)! 

I have said before that stock represents .05% of my output as does all forms of 'commercial' photography. I decided long ago only to undertake work or projects that I really wanted to and to concentrate of my 'personal' work. This meant leaving lucrative work behind thirty eight years ago and starving for a while! However, by grafting, like Keith but in another photographic sphere, it came good, very good. Sales of work through various galleries built and built and more offers of exhibitions built alongside. It is a life though, my life, not a just a job. I still work a long day every day (there are 7 days in a week), either out photographing on projects or research, editing, preparation, printing etc. in my studio and darkroom. (Yep, still use it)! 

My story is not unique. All the successful photographers I know (many), have the same attitude with respect to their chosen field of photography. Graft, graft and then some more hard graft. Everything else takes a back seat. It will come if you persevere and really want it. If you treat it as a part-time add-on or extended hobby then don't expect a living. I'm talking about every aspect of photography, not just stock. 

Archived