Another milestone....

RedSnapper

I tried to look at his images with the earlier reference numbers but I can't find any way to move back in a portfolio more than a few pages at a time. Is there a way to move to the last page??

Not officially, but you can do it with a tiny bit of fiddling. If you click on the link to Keith's photos, you get the following URL:

http://www.alamy.com/search/ImageResults.aspx?&xstx=0&userid={81DF4CE9-3C52-4FDF-9821-5CEFC4AE5129}&name=redsnapper&st=12

Now just add to the end of this "&pn=x" where x is the page number you want. So to go to the earliest page, change it to:

http://www.alamy.com/search/ImageResults.aspx?&xstx=0&userid={81DF4CE9-3C52-4FDF-9821-5CEFC4AE5129}&name=redsnapper&st=12&pn=227

Alan

I am just saying that Alamy isn't working that hard to sell our work...

Not quite related to the original post, I am afraid I'd have to largely agree with the above point.

Alamy is, of course, trying to do its best given the way it is set up, the material it has and the external market forces. However, numbers are numbers.

I've been submitting to a certain, new to me, library for the past several months. It uses many distributors, including Alamy. Here's the count of images sold (and reported) so far by three selected distributors:

Getty: 20

Corbis: 10

Alamy: 0

GI

Not quite related to the original post, I am afraid I'd have to largely agree with the above point.

Alamy is, of course, trying to do its best given the way it is set up, the material it has and the external market forces. However, numbers are numbers.

I've been submitting to a certain, new to me, library for the past several months. It uses many distributors, including Alamy. Here's the count of images sold (and reported) so far by three selected distributors:

GI

The Alamy business model is based on having (currently) 50 million images with much lower overheads than G or C.  These two put huge resources into selling, but partly fund this by having lower commission rates, although C is only a bit below Alamy at 40%. 

The one thing that Alamy is really good at is selling UK based journalism/documentary/issues photography - and not just Keith's.  But most of the bottom has fallen out of this market, so selling to Alamy can only be part of the package.  And it has one or two very strong competitors in this area, such as Rex.  Alamy is clearly trying hard to claim some of the territory enjoyed by the big two, with creative searches etc, but C and G have the killer resource: editors and art directors.  Not to mention offices around the world.

I hope I haven't walked all over the new rule about not talking about competitors, but I am trying to say that Alamy is good at what it does:  selling authentic British based photography for the editorial market.  It is also good at running with new ideas such as Stockimo.  It may not have invented phone photography, but it is giving it a new slant.

I'm only with Alamy, no G or C and as I know, for example G pays 15% comm. is it true? Alamy pays 50%. What are the prices in G and C? Is it similar to Alamy with ~ $50-100/ DL? ($8 happens but not often).

Thanks for any info :)

GI

It's like comparing apples and oranges. You would have to be comparing the same pictures on all 3 sites. Also, have you been on all 3 sites the same amount of time? 

Jill

GI

It's like comparing apples and oranges. You would have to be comparing the same pictures on all 3 sites. Also, have you been on all 3 sites the same amount of time? 

Jill

Actually, if I read him correctly, this is the point that GI is making.  Some agencies now distribute the same images to all three.  Many are now able to make direct comparisons with the their relative performance  The difference is that, as a direct contributor, you can place and sell a lot of imagery with Alamy that the others won't accept, assuming they accepted you in the first place.  But for distributed work, Getty and Corbis lead the field.

But you could say, that in respect of the work that C & G won't accept, Alamy is infinitely better, and it is a tad unfair to accuse Alamy of not trying hard enough, while the others didn't even try at all.

As far as I know Getty is exclusive (and I believe Corbis as well). So, how can you place the same images at all three agencies (G C Alamy)? Seems like a breach of contract to me.

Cheers,
Philippe

Getty is exclusive for some work*, co-exclusive for other and also has work supplied via aggregator agencies that is on all the majors plus most other large agencies.

* Mostly direct contribs 

As far as I know Getty is exclusive (and I believe Corbis as well). So, how can you place the same images at all three agencies (G C Alamy)? Seems like a breach of contract to me.

Cheers,
Philippe

Getty is exclusive for some work*, co-exclusive for other and also has work supplied via aggregator agencies that is on all the majors plus most other large agencies.

* Mostly direct contribs 

Do I understand correctly if it is exclusive for individual photographers? At least, that the first thing I noticed on their contributor's page.

Cheers,

Philippe

Exclusive for individual contribs. There are also collections from agencies that are only on Getty and the home site of that agency, then there are the commercial agencies who supply Getty and Corbis and.......

Funnily, Getty have work on Corbis.....

what other agencies would accept this work.....unreleased secondary editorial

km

all microstock agencies would accept your work, your pictures are well edited and you know what you are doing, I am sure that agencies would approve most of them!

I am not defending other agencies, I am pretty much saying that your portfolio would do a lot more from a single microstock agency, the biggest one and its not iStock

I don't have an interest in Micro but just wondering what the biggest agency is if it's not istock?  L

GI

Jill

Actually, if I read him correctly, this is the point that GI is making.  Some agencies now distribute the same images to all three.  Many are now able to make direct comparisons with the their relative performance  The difference is that, as a direct contributor, you can place and sell a lot of imagery with Alamy that the others won't accept, assuming they accepted you in the first place.  But for distributed work, Getty and Corbis lead the field.

But you could say, that in respect of the work that C & G won't accept, Alamy is infinitely better, and it is a tad unfair to accuse Alamy of not trying hard enough, while the others didn't even try at all.

Yes, Robert read my post correctly.

But let me elaborate a bit. Agency X does all the editing and then sells directly as well as places the images with a number of distributors (G, C, A, etc etc), who, as far as I can tell, do not do any editing on their side. So, no editors and ADs at G&C are involved. No breach of contract. (Almost) the same images with all the distributors. So, oranges are compared to the same oranges. In fact, Alamy seems to be faster than G or C to place new material live.

All the images I am referring to are commercially-oriented (="creative") and not UK-centered-editorial.

My average net per sale from Agency X distributors (G, C, etc) is comparable to the net per sale I get from Alamy's distributors. My average net per sale from Agency X distributors G and C is 1.6 times lower than average net per sale from Alamy. However, the number of sales that G&C bring are overwhelmingly larger than Alamy.

I am not saying that Alamy is bad (in fact, I am not YET entirely happy about the total net I see from Agency X). What I am saying is:

"Alamy is, of course, trying to do its best given the way it is set up, the material it has and the external market forces."

Hope that clarifies things.

Regards,

GI

I am not saying that Alamy is bad (in fact, I am not YET entirely happy about the total net I see from Agency X). What I am saying is:

"Alamy is, of course, trying to do its best given the way it is set up, the material it has and the external market forces."

Hope that clarifies things.

Regards,

GI

My apologies.  Seems I was actually referring to a point made by Mr Luis Alvarenga that was embedded in your post.

All the images I am referring to are commercially-oriented (="creative") and not UK-centered-editorial.

And , to get back to my orginal posting,  the images i have are not commercially-oriented and are UK-centered-editorial

km

And , to get back to my orginal posting,  the images i have are not commercially-oriented and are UK-centered-editorial

km

I know you've had a spate of murders in Aber recently, Keith, but I would have sworn that lady in the lake was no editorial shot.  :lol:

• 4 months later...

Great Job Keith!!!!

To come back to the comments of Louis about some other agencies. I know that Louis is not trying to attack anyone. So do I :).

I want to add only that it is not so black on white to say that 27000 images on other agency X will make more money. First of all if you send 27000 images there you can allready expect that 50% percent will be rejected just for simple reasons. It doesnt matter how perfect your images are it just happens (depending on wich reviewer you have on wich day) You can check out their forum and you will see how many complains you will find from good earning photographers. So from 27000 you will have there imo 13500 left. What will give you no change to sell anything from the other 13500 what would sell here on Alamy. Think also about the time you spend for keywording images that dont get accepted for weak reasons. 

Also i think Louis earning calculation is underrated. Keith didnt had that  many images at the begining and looking at his graph he made this year 50K until november what would mean +/- =   50k/11= 4545,45. After the part for alamy i come to 2272 dollars per month net.

My simple calculations  :)

Mirco

Archived