Aerial photography advice needed

Afternoon all

On Saturday, I have been given a flight up in a small plane as a present. The sole purpose behind it is for me to get some aerial photography. However, I have never ventured into this area of photography before.

Any tips that anyone can offer?

Thanks!

Jools

Use a high shutter speed since all aircraft give off a lot of vibration that gets transferred through your body and arms and to your camera. Do not brace yourself against the aircraft at all for the same reason. You can use a wide aperture since you shouldn't need any depth of field. If possible, do not shoot through the aircraft glass! Enjoy!

Hi Jools

Always discus what you want to do with the pilot and strap yourself in don't drop anything in the cockpit as it can become weightless under negative G .

High wing Cessna is good 152 or 172 the pilot might let you open the window but it will be cold like 80mph wind so wrap up (spare battery)

Enjoy it above all and wait for the light if you can.

Regards

Jon

AT3J6H & B76XN8

Watch out for cloud shadow. If half your photos in shadow and the rest in sunshine can spoil a nice picture. Obviously try to get all the ground lit. I'm a glider/motorglider pilot with several thousand launches under my belt. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of room in the cockpit for my 5d, and I'm usually rather busy keeping the glider up! On occasion though I've gone along for a ride in the back seat and used the 5d with 24-105. Enjoy yourself..its all good fun.

Webby

Never less than 1/1000 shutter speed, manual exposure obviously, don't try to change lenses - the pilot won't thank you if one rolls under his feet - fly just after sunrise - and check how far the window will open. You may be lucky and be able to remove the door . . .

don't try to change lenses - the pilot won't thank you if one rolls under his feet - 

And you will not be happy if it falls out of the aeroplane.

Allan

The one and only time I did aerial photography it was from a small helicopter. The pilot removed the door so it wouldn't interfere with the view and we wouldn't have to shoot through glass. As Allen said, it does get cold up there so wear something warm. I used a high shutter speed though I don't think I needed to go as high as I had expected. Still it's better to use a high shutter speed than wind up with unsharp photos. Even though the pilot tilted the helicopter for us to get a better angle I used a simple seat belt, as provided, and neckstrap for the cameras.

I was advised to take Dramamine to prevent motion sickness though, in retrospect, I don't think it was really necessary.

fD

I think the only "be careful" thing that has not been mentioned so far is: be careful not to stick the camera outside the open window or removed door as the wind is very strong. It could take the camera out of your hands or spoil your steadiness even with high shutter speeds.  Choppers work best for aerial shooting, but they do vibrate a lot.  And I'm afraid you're going to have to leave your tripod at home for this.  ;)

don't try to change lenses - the pilot won't thank you if one rolls under his feet - 

And you will not be happy if it falls out of the aeroplane.

Allan

The person that it lands be may be less than pleased :-)

Well, it was interesting time for sure. Don't worry Ed, tripods were never going to be a feature on this one.

Was interesting how little room you have. The window wasn't allowed to be open but it was explained afterwards that it was only due to the weather. The latter was a pain as when we took off it was grey and overcast. When we landed it was bright sunshine. Typical!

Will be investigating a few other possibles on this for sure.

Be sure to discuss altitude with the pilot so he's sure what you want to achieve - all before you start the engine. Your hour in the air needs to be in the air, not talking about it across the bonnet.

Have a good flight.

Richard.

Archived