January 2024 Favourite Uploads

2 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I've been trying to get a decent image of a male Splendid Fairywren in his blue breeding plumage for ages. When I don't have my camera I seem to have them all around me in full view. When I do have my camera they always seem to strategically position themselves behind some twigs. Finally I got one, though he is starting to lose his breeding plumage and will go back to being mostly grey soon until next breeding season. So he looks here like someone has been dabbing paint on him but not quite finished the job. But I was happy with it anyway including the eye contact. They are delightful little beings, very affectionate with one another. They will all cuddle together on a branch 🥰

a-male-splendid-fairywren-malurus-splend

Wonderful.

Paulette

• Love 1

8 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

...to do still life pics

Mr Stoke

if willing, what kind of set up for you white background images...?

would something like one of these work?
https://www.temu.com/search_result.html?search_key=white lightbox for photography

which, if any, would you endorse...?
thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Mr Stoke

if willing, what kind of set up for you white background images...?

would something like one of these work?
https://www.temu.com/search_result.html?search_key=white lightbox for photography

which, if any, would you endorse...?
thanks in advance

Hi Jeffrey, 

I've got 2 different methods I use . Currently I've got a roll of white plastic background (and a black one) affixed to the wall at the top. They rest on a plan chest when deployed (but could be any horizontal surface) Then both sides of the surface I have an LED light on an anglepoise type arm. Any white roll of photographic background (or paper) will work.

You can buy these singly as well, this is a 3 pack:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conference-Suspension-Obeamiu-Photography-Streaming/dp/B08GBYFL1J/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3BYA60P866LZC&keywords=led%2Bphotographic%2Blights%2Bclamp&qid=1706378258&sprefix=led%2Bphotographic%2Blights%2Bclamp%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-6&th=1

The other way I have is a big photographic cube (a metre/yard in L,H,W) with two fitted strips of LEDs inside  at the top. This is really big to leave up unless you have sufficient space ,and mine has to be completely disassembled. Hence, I use the first way most of the time, and can leave it up, or roll the plastic up and use  bulldog clips at the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Heorryn-Brightness-Backdrops-Photography/dp/B07TYCH18N/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?crid=1PQI8VMR4GJDG&keywords=led+photographic+cube&qid=1706378386&sprefix=led+photographic+cub%2Caps%2C63&sr=8-13-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

lots like above of various sizes, like you posted

cheers

HUGH

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Hi Jeffrey, 

I've got 2 different methods I use . Currently I've got a roll of white plastic background (and a black one) affixed to the wall at the top. They rest on a plan chest when deployed (but could be any horizontal surface) Then both sides of the surface I have an LED light on an anglepoise type arm. Any white roll of photographic background (or paper) will work.

You can buy these singly as well, this is a 3 pack:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conference-Suspension-Obeamiu-Photography-Streaming/dp/B08GBYFL1J/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3BYA60P866LZC&keywords=led%2Bphotographic%2Blights%2Bclamp&qid=1706378258&sprefix=led%2Bphotographic%2Blights%2Bclamp%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-6&th=1

The other way I have is a big photographic cube (a metre/yard in L,H,W) with two fitted strips of LEDs inside  at the top. This is really big to leave up unless you have sufficient space ,and mine has to be completely disassembled. Hence, I use the first way most of the time, and can leave it up, or roll the plastic up and use  bulldog clips at the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Heorryn-Brightness-Backdrops-Photography/dp/B07TYCH18N/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?crid=1PQI8VMR4GJDG&keywords=led+photographic+cube&qid=1706378386&sprefix=led+photographic+cub%2Caps%2C63&sr=8-13-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

lots like above of various sizes, like you posted

cheers

HUGH

This is my "quick and dirty" set up. The background is actually clamped onto magnetic notice boards (thanks Ikea)  on the wall 

IMG-0411.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
uploaded this week;
5th day in Merida MX
Mayan grandmother-granddaughter
wearing huipil embroidered dress-blouse...

2wd5mmh.jpg

Jeffrey, I absolutely love this photo, it’s beautiful! So much warmth and connection between grandmother and granddaughter 🥰

This protestor had walked through Bristol with her placard upside down. Should I have pointed it out? Technically no, but look at that smile!

Bristol, UK. 26th Jan, 2024. Residents of Barton House who were evacuated from their flats because of safety concerns protest about their treatment by Bristol City Council. After investigation the building is now considered safe enough and residents have been told that they can return, some however are still concerned and feel the council should do more to provide alternatives. The tenant's union Acorn is supporting the protest. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Winters walk.

Winters morning on the Thames and Severn Canal at Bowbridge Lock Stroud Glos Stock Photo

Friendly chap I met in Cheltenham

Cheltenham, UK. 27th Jan, 2024. Mick Lynch of the RMT joined the march. Union members from across the UK protest the Tory Governments undemocratic plans to restrict the right to strike. Meeting up in Montpelier Gardens they then march to Pittville Park. Cheltenham was chosen because of the Thatcher Government's suppression of local GCHQ workers right to join a Union 40 years ago. After many protests the incoming 1997 Labour Government repealed the ban. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Cost of living.

Around Banbury a Market town in Oxfordshire UK Valentines day roses sign Stock Photo

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Three of my 9 great granddaughters on Christmas Day, dressed up in play costumes which they love doing. The two on the left are sisters.

2WERDDB.jpg

The Main Street of a tiny town called Burden, Kansas. Population of 535 at last census.

2WCYYN5.jpg

Th old-time post office of Cambridge, Kansas, population 82 in 2010.

2T8J4AN.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Such precious girls!

Paulette

Thank you, Paulette. They all are my joy. Of the nine girls, 6 are home schooled. One of the moms has a teaching degree.

• Like 2

Another batch from sunny Plymouth

The Leviathan (Barbican Prawn) sculpture by Brian Fell on the Sutton harbour wall, Plymouth, Devon, UK, combines aspects of various sea creatures

the-leviathan-barbican-prawn-sculpture-b

Trio on kayaks and a paddleboard enjoying the sea and winter sun at Firestone Bay in Plymouth Sound

trio-on-kayaks-and-a-paddleboard-enjoyin

Tolpuddle martyrs memorial plaque at Sutton Harbour, Plymouth commemorates the return from transportation of 4 of the men

tolpuddle-martyrs-memorial-at-sutton-har

Scallop fishing vessel PH819 Cornish Gem tied up on the Barbican, Sutton Harbour, Plymouth

scallop-fishing-vessel-ph819-cornish-tie

This skipper and owner of this dredger were recently fined £30,000 for illegal dredging in Cornish waters.  No wonder they can't afford to paint over the rust!

• Love 4

Lincoln Central multi storey car park, Melville Street dual carriageway, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincoln-central-multi-storey-car-park-me

Openreach engineer working in cable connection box

openreach-engineer-working-in-cable-conn

Harding house Gallery, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

harding-house-gallery-steep-hill-lincoln

Large silver coloured statue of dog in entrance to Goddards clothing shop, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

large-silver-coloured-statue-of-dog-in-e

Tree surgeon in process of cutting down tree

tree-surgeon-in-process-of-cutting-down-

View along Broadgate road to Lincoln Cathedral, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-along-broadgate-road-to-lincoln-cat

That is all for this month.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rubens Alarcon said:

A little bit of Canadian winter.

winter-wonderland-landscape-port-stanley

winter-wonderland-landscape-port-stanley

Wow, Rubens that's amazing. Great photos. You would never see anything like that on a beach here in Australia. It's so interesting to see the patterns created by the actions of waves and water frozen in time.

17 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Really enjoying seeing peoples' favourite uploads. This is my last one for January, a New Holland Honeyeater in late afternoon light.

a-new-holland-honeyeater-phylidonyris-no

That’s a great image Sally 🙂

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

That’s a great image Sally 🙂

Thank you Steve 🙂 They are very active in the hour before sunset and even for at least half an hour afterwards, diving through the air catching insects in between getting nectar from flowers. I took many shots but that one was my favourite.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Wow, Rubens that's amazing. Great photos. You would never see anything like that on a beach here in Australia. It's so interesting to see the patterns created by the actions of waves and water frozen in time.

Thank you.🙂 I was born and raised in Brazil, and I'm often surprised by the similarities between some places in Australia and Brazil. But the Canadian weather is something else... I was glad my car was parked very close because if I had stayed there shooting for a bit longer I'm afraid I would become part of the landscape. 🥶

• Love 1

Wide view along Broadgate road Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wide-view-along-broadgate-road-lincoln-c

White Hart Hotel commissionaire standing in doorway to weclome visitors, Bailgate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

white-hart-hotel-commissionaire-standing

Two Inca performers taking break, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

two-inca-performers-taking-break-high-st

Entrance to The Drill exclusive Gig and Event venue, Freeschool Lane, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

entrance-to-the-drill-exclusive-gig-and-

Final clearance sale at moshulu ladies footwear and accessories shop, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

final-clearance-sale-at-moshulu-ladies-f

Black and white sign pointing to Pessimist gin and wine bar, Mint Lane, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

black-and-white-sign-pointing-to-pessimi

Cube and Triangle snooker hall, Silver Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

cube-and-triangle-snooker-hall-silver-st

Allan

Sorry these were uploaded end Jan passedQC Feb.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Overhead view of a man lying on a sunbed and sunbathing beside a swimming pool in Bangkok, Thailand, South East Asia. 

2WF6MGB.jpg

Love this.. colors and patterns.

Paulette