January 2024 Favourite Uploads

There have been quite a few waxwings in my area recently, which is an unusual winter treat

waxwings-bombycilla-garrulus-flying-into

waxwings-bombycilla-garrulus-feeding-on-

These were from a village wassailing event, with morris dancers and a torch-lit procession to an orchard.

12th-january-2024-the-annual-apple-orcha

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Merida MX restaurant balcony seating, man texting mobile cell phone

2wandyw.jpg

I really like it... with the setting providing a frame.

Paulette

I came across silk postcards from World War One. Some were made by home workers in France and Belgium and sold to soldiers there. The detail is impressive. My late grandmother, who was born in 1876, used to embroider flower designs in the corner of handkerchiefs as a hobby when she was in her late 80's.

2WBX765.jpg

2WBX6JK.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Again,

View up Michaelgate, Crooked house and cathedral towers, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-up-michaelgate-crooked-house-and-ca

Stairway and lift tower to bridge over railway, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

stairway-and-lift-tower-to-bridge-over-r

You could call the above "Lincoln City Ancient and Modern."

Lincoln railway station from High Street level crossing, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincoln-railway-station-from-high-street

Inside Lincoln castle East gate entrance, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

inside-lincoln-castle-east-gate-entrance

Allan

• Like 1

A Shigleback (Tiliqua rugosa) or Blue-tongued Skink in full threat display.

I found this little guy warming itself up on the road. They are also called Sleepy Lizards and won't move, even if a car comes. Needless to say, we frequently see flattened ones.

2WCPDP4.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Used my newly acquired pensioner's bus pass to take a trip to Plymouth Hoe and Sutton Harbour on Monday.  Brilliant winter sunshine and very few people around so ideal for photography.

A pair of shots of the terraced foreshore below the Hoe.

plymouth-sound-foreshore-in-january-suns

terraced-plymouth-sound-foreshore-with-v

Mayflower steps balcony, Barbican Prawn sculpture and National Marine Aquarium on the front of Sutton Harbour:

mayflower-steps-balcony-barbican-prawn-s

Entrance to Sutton Harbour and commercial and pleasure marina through the tidal lock:

entrance-to-sutton-harbour-and-commercia

And I couldn't resist this recycling bin on the front:

plymouth-hoe-blue-waste-whale-recycling-

Well worth the cost of the ticket into town (£0).

• Like 2

Another bunch.

Female Civil Enforcement Officer looking for driver of badly parked red car, Silver Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

female-civil-enforcement-officer-looking

Mannequin showing trending clothing in Primark shop window, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

mannequin-showing-trending-clothing-in-p

Street entertainer playing bagpipes on High Bridge, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

street-entertainer-playing-bagpipes-on-h

Feral pigeon cast long shadow in late winter sun, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

feral-pigeon-cast-long-shadow-in-late-wi

Cahoots for Ladies clothes shop January sale, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

cahoots-for-ladies-clothes-shop-january-

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Stuck in the house all day yesterday, so I spent some time photographing my old film cameras. No matter how much you clean them, there is always much work to be done removing spots and scratches from the image. This is my Rolleicord V, acquired for £25 way back in the late 1960s. It was a revelation, the quality of the photos produced was far better than those from my 35 mm SLR. Unfortunately studying for exams and a lack of cash meant that I couldn't fully exploit the camera at that time.

2WD3NKT.jpg

• Love 1

On 17/01/2024 at 11:35, John Richmond said:

Used my newly acquired pensioner's bus pass to take a trip to Plymouth Hoe and Sutton Harbour on Monday.  Brilliant winter sunshine and very few people around so ideal for photography.

Welcome to the club John (and a nice set of photos} !

We use our bus passes regularly, and in these parts, you can enhance the experience with a Tyneside Metro pass for a nominal £12 per annum. The passes  mean that our car rarely turns a wheel for local journeys. Today we are using public transport, heading off to a photo lab to pick up some prints. There is an argument to be made for free local public transport for all users, it would cut emissions, and traffic chaos, and maybe lead to a more active and fitter population.

Also, you get some good photo opportunities from the top deck of a double decker, I've made a few sales that way. Finally, photos taken in bus stations occasionally sell. It's win, win !

Edited by Bryan
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Stuck in the house all day yesterday, so I spent some time photographing my old film cameras. No matter how much you clean them, there is always much work to be done removing spots and scratches from the image. This is my Rolleicord V, acquired for £25 way back in the late 1960s. It was a revelation, the quality of the photos produced was far better than those from my 35 mm SLR. Unfortunately studying for exams and a lack of cash meant that I couldn't fully exploit the camera at that time.

2WD3NKT.jpg

In my collection I have the Rolleicord Va Model 2  (1958-61). Bought it at a flea market for £75. Going for £200-300 on ebay.

I also have the Rolleicord 1 (Nickel plate) Art-Deco model (1933-36). Again bought at Flea market for £45. Going for £300-400 on ebay.

Not for sale though as I like the old TLR cameras and have three more different makes in the collection.

I will keep a lookout for a copy of the mark V in my searches to add to the collection.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

II will keep a lookout for a copy of the mark V in my searches to add to the collection.

Allan

There is currently one for sale ont'web which looks to be in excellent condition and comes with a guarantee, a snip at £600 🤑

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

Welcome to the club John (and a nice set of photos} !

We use our bus passes regularly, and in these parts, you can enhance the experience with a Tyneside Metro pass for a nominal £12 per annum. The passes  mean that our car rarely turns a wheel for local journeys. Today we are using public transport, heading off to a photo lab to pick up some prints. There is an argument to be made for free local public transport for all users, it would cut emissions, and traffic chaos, and maybe lead to a more active and fitter population.

Also, you get some good photo opportunities from the top deck of a double decker, I've made a few sales that way. Finally, photos taken in bus stations occasionally sell. It's win, win !

Thanks Bryan.

Because Maria, my wife, is disabled with severe arthritis buses are often not an option. Her very restricted mobility and need for a mobility scooter means that our car is often the only viable solution if we both want to go out.  On my own is another matter - which is why I finally succumbed and picked up a pass seven years after I qualified for one.  About time I took more photos of Plymouth.  It's just a bus ride away!

Edited by John Richmond
Additional info
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

There is currently one for sale ont'web which looks to be in excellent condition and comes with a guarantee, a snip at £600 🤑

Thanks but I only buy at flea markets or car boots. Usually a lot cheaper as some people do not know the true value.

Allan

Orange carrier bag, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

orange-carrier-bag-high-street-lincoln-c

I really like this one as it reminds me of the old black & white film days.

Elderly lady resting on the Mayors Chair bench seats halfway up Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

elderly-lady-resting-on-the-mayors-chair

Busker playing guitar with eyes closed, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

busker-playing-guitar-with-eyes-closed-h

This guy is vey good and is at home with his guitar.

Clock tower on Waterside shopping centre, Riverside North, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

clock-tower-on-waterside-shopping-centre

Entrance to The Strait from High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

entrance-to-the-strait-from-high-street-

Weird Mannequin displaying clothing in shop window, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

weird-mannequin-displaying-clothing-in-s

I would not like to spend a night in the store with that.

Allan

• Like 2