January 2024 Favourite Uploads

No, it's not snow. It's salt! Sunrise at Koorkoordine Salt Lake, Southern Cross, Western Australia

The 'saltman' was only about 10cm high. Love Aussie sense of humour.

2WA90JH.jpg

Sunrise. Hello new day!

2WA90A7.jpg

2WA90CM.jpg

2WA90XJ.jpg

2WA91D4.jpg

2WA91G6.jpg

2WA90GE.jpg

2WA9201.jpg

• Love 5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

No, it's not snow. It's salt! Sunrise at Koorkoordine Salt Lake, Southern Cross, Western Australia

2WA90JH.jpg

Sunrise. Hello new day!

2WA90A7.jpg

2WA90CM.jpg

2WA90XJ.jpg

2WA91D4.jpg

2WA91G6.jpg

2WA90GE.jpg

2WA9201.jpg

Wow, love these images Gen and the cute little 'snow' man, or I should say salt man. I have looked at this spot on the map as I'm interested in the area and would like to go up into the Helena Aurora Range. I most definitely don't have the vehicle for it though. So would need to go on something like a 4WD tour. Lake Baladjie is another spot I want to visit. I was at Elachbutting Rock in August which is a bit north-west of there. I love the patterns in the salty lake bed here, the clouds and the way you've captured the sunrise. I love the colours!

24 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Wow, love these images Gen and the cute little 'snow' man, or I should say salt man. I have looked at this spot on the map as I'm interested in the area and would like to go up into the Helena Aurora Range. I most definitely don't have the vehicle for it though. So would need to go on something like a 4WD tour. Lake Baladjie is another spot I want to visit. I was at Elachbutting Rock in August which is a bit north-west of there. I love the patterns in the salty lake bed here, the clouds and the way you've captured the sunrise. I love the colours!

It is quite an incredible place. We intended to spend only one night but spent nearly a week, including New Year's Eve. We use an app called Wikicamps which is invaluable for remote bush camps. I brought back half of the lake salt in our bus... The small balls of salt were wet and malleable which allowed the birth of the saltman. The bad thing was that, presumably the creator, had a campfire on the lake. Grrr... We saw all moods over the lake: pink skies, fiery sunsets, angry black low clouds, it was exhilirating to stand in the middle of this wilderness. 

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

So lovely, Gen.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. Something in the distance on the lake caught my eye. I walked to it. The last thing I expected to find was a 'snowman'.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

2WA90JH.jpg

Sunrise. Hello new day!

2WA90A7.jpg

Amazing!

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, gvallee said:

It is quite an incredible place. We intended to spend only one night but spent nearly a week, including New Year's Eve. We use an app called Wikicamps which is invaluable for remote bush camps. I brought back half of the lake salt in our bus... The small balls of salt were wet and malleable which allowed the birth of the saltman. The bad thing was that, presumably the creator, had a campfire on the lake. Grrr... We saw all moods over the lake: pink skies, fiery sunsets, angry black low clouds, it was exhilirating to stand in the middle of this wilderness. 

I was just hearing about Wikicamps the other day. I think you have to camp at these places to get the most of them, to see all those moods, the sunrise and sunset colours etc. I was at Eaglestone Rock just south of Mukinbudin in August and it is next to a lake that seems to go by both the names Lake Brown and Lake Campion. There was quite a bit of water then but I imagine it is dry with the salt encrusted surface now. Here's some photos of it including the patterns of water on the lake bed:

a-view-across-lake-brown-from-eaglestone

clouds-reflecting-on-the-surface-of-lake

• Love 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

I was just hearing about Wikicamps the other day. I think you have to camp at these places to get the most of them, to see all those moods, the sunrise and sunset colours etc. I was at Eaglestone Rock just south of Mukinbudin in August and it is next to a lake that seems to go by both the names Lake Brown and Lake Campion. There was quite a bit of water then but I imagine it is dry with the salt encrusted surface now. Here's some photos of it including the patterns of water on the lake bed:

clouds-reflecting-on-the-surface-of-lake

Beautiful. So WA! 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

A December themed image.. but I only uploaded it yesterday so... 

2WA7W8B.jpg

I love the dreamy quality of this one Matt. I hope it gets picked up for cards, a calendar or other Christmas items/topics/articles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

I love the dreamy quality of this one Matt. I hope it gets picked up for cards, a calendar or other Christmas items/topics/articles.

Thank you. Yes.. that would be the hope!

Incidentally, I wouldn't have been able to submit this image last year. New Year's Eve was spent with friends and this was their Christmas tree. It was evening with less than ideal lighting and as such I had to push my ISO setting right up. This introduced noise which would have been unacceptable and difficult to fix... but the new De-noise feature that got added to Lightroom between today and a year ago made the difference!

Edited by Matt Ashmore

1 minute ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Thank you. Yes.. that would be the hope!

Incidentally, I wouldn't have been able to submit this image last year. New Year's Eve was spent with friends and this was their Christmas tree. It was evening with less than idea lighting and as such I had to push my ISO setting right up. This introduced noise which would have been unacceptable and difficult to fix... but the new De-noise feature that got added to Lightroom between today and a year ago made the difference!

That's great! I wonder if that even made it more dreamy somehow?! It just has this atmosphere about it.

A batch from my yearly pilgrimage to Fogg Dam and Marrakai, Northern Territory, Australia

2WAE2F4.jpg

2WAE2TK.jpg

2WAE2G2.jpg

2WAE2G3.jpg

2WAE2G9.jpg

2WAE2GA.jpg

2WAE2G1.jpg

2WAE2P0.jpg

2WAE2J6.jpg

2WAE2FP.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Here is a birdy. Not quite as spectacular as Gen's but I met this cute, little, juvenile white-breasted robin a few days ago.

a-juvenile-white-breasted-robin-eopsaltr

That is gorgeous. I love the soft colors.

Paulette

• Love 1

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

That is gorgeous. I love the soft colors.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. The white-breasted robins are often very quiet, but this young one was chattering away thus bringing my attention to him or her. It's in a forest area by a river where there is filtered light which can be good for nice exposures of birds. I regularly encounter scarlet robins here too and have some photos, but none I consider good enough to upload yet. I can spend hours in a place like this and don't mind even if I don't get one good photo, as it's just a peaceful immersive experience and good for the soul.

Taken in  the last few months, but only just uploaded. Even Basingstoke can look nice 😄

christmas-shoppers-a-cheshire-cheese-mar

christmas-shoppers-and-market-stalls-and

Winchester Cathedral Christmas market

a-woman-ladling-out-gluhwein-mulled-wine

visitors-to-winchester-cathedral-christm

Bombay Sapphire distillery

the-iconic-mediterranean-intertwining-gl

closeup-of-the-iconic-mediterranean-inte

Hold my gin please

a-woman-holding-two-glasses-of-gin-and-t

• Love 2
  • Like 1

This is the Gwalia Gold Mine in Western Australia, the deepest trucking mine in the world. My Dad grew up here and his family's house stood right where this open pit is now!

the-deep-open-pit-of-the-gwalia-gold-min

The orange and yellow colours from a prescribed burn to prevent bushfires reflecting in the Swan River in Perth.

a-boat-with-reflections-and-yellow-and-o

The Val Street Jetty at the Rockingham foreshore at sunset/dusk in the southern suburbs of Perth.

the-val-street-jetty-on-the-rockingham-f

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Off we go again.

woman taking photo on mobile phone of young girl posing under gold star, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire

woman-taking-photo-on-mobile-phone-of-yo

Gold stars Christmas decoration, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

gold-stars-christmas-decoration-cornhill

New look for Slug & Lettuce restaurant, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

new-look-for-slug-lettuce-restaurant-hig

View of Sincil Street shops from Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-of-sincil-street-shops-from-cornhil

EE mobile phone sign outside BT shop at night, High street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

ee-mobile-phone-sign-outside-bt-shop-at-

Allan

• Love 2

Three from me.  All Dartmoor images, taken around the Burrator Reservoir north of Plymouth:

waterfall-feeding-water-from-drakes-leat

Waterfall feeding water from Drake's Leat to Burrator Reservoir 

early-19th-century-single-span-granite-n

19th century granite Norsworthy Bridge over the River Meavy

granite-outctop-of-sharpitor-burrator-da

Sharpitor, one of Dartmoor's granite outcrop tors, bracken covered and bathed in winter sunlight.  I had to dodge the showers for this, hence the storm clouds behind the tor.

• Love 4

Blacks outdoor clothing shop, High street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

blacks-outdoor-clothing-shop-high-street

Medieval Norman House, Steep Hill and Christs Hospital Terrace, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

medieval-norman-house-steep-hill-and-chr

Fatface Sale, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

fatface-sale-high-street-lincoln-city-li

Speakers Corner, Cornhill Quarter, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

speakers-corner-cornhill-quarter-lincoln

Allan

• Like 2