age-behavior of your primary camera body?

(informal survey to see how long cameras last)
your camera & its age, any issues

me: Sony RX10 IV 5+ yrs old;
have to re-glue rubbery skin every few months;
occasional malfunction messages so far resolved
by turning camera off, removing, returning battery,
or removing returning memory card...
excellent condition, does not get banged around...

list any former camera you would never buy again;
(I'd never buy Tamron lens again as rubber turning grips go loose)
join in, won't you...?

Well Jeff and all,

I jumped on the NIKON D800's early and "Knock on wood." the first one I bought is still running strong.  I have been so happy with them I added two more.

Have no idea and not sure I want to know what my shutter counts are.  I've also had good luck with the Standard NIKON EN-EL 15 batteries, I've only had one

go bad out of the five that I have.   I did have an early D700 that I never really liked, but got it up over 130,000 clicks and just sold it a few months ago.  A few

years ago I bought a TOKINA 16-28 f2.8 and it has been very good, customer support has been excellent.  Sent it back last year for a C&C and they did a fast 

good job for a very reasonable price.

My major regret is that years ago I sold off my M film bodies and some great Leitz glass. I really like the feel of the new digital M bodies, but the price has

become insane.  The lens I miss the most was my German Leitz 21 f3.4 with the metal finder, made a lot of wonderful images with that lens on M film bodies.

After the Leitz 21 I would say my favorite money making lens is my NIKON 70-200 f4, it is light to carry and sharp.

NOTE: Had a very bad experience with a SONY product and worse than bad customer support so will never be using a SONY product.

Chuck

• Love 1

My Sony a6000 is 4+ years old and I've had no issues. Also have a Sony Nex-6, which I think I bought in 2015. No probs with it either. Both function as when brand new. My original NEX-3 is 11+ years old, and it works fine as well. I haven't checked, but the image counts on all these bodies must be fairly low, especially compared to Jeff's. It's my own ageing body that I'm worried about at this point 👴

P.S. Have owned several Tamron lenses -- zooms and primes -- over the years and don't recall any major malfunctions.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

NOTE: Had a very bad experience with a SONY product and worse than bad customer support so will never be using a SONY product.

Chuck

Sorry to hear that you've had problems with SONY, Chuck. However it seems that you might be already using one of their products:

https://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/29/confirmed-the-sensor-inside-the-nikon-d800-is-made-by-sony.aspx/

using a canon r6 now. but i have a canon 6d which I keep around as a backup. the 6d was purchased in 2013, currently has 385k shutter count (150k is lifespan). one time the camera slipped my grasp and dropped onto a marble floor while on vacation. this caused the mirror box to slow down, but miraculously after a few days, everything went back to normal.

Edited by sooth

Canon T4i from 2013 still clicking away.  Sony RX100 M2 still taking great shots, but the lens cover doesn't always close up tight when I turn it off and I have to kind of push the two pieces together. Canon 90D only 3 years old and my 100-400 pretty much lives on it as it is the one I use for bird photography.  Certainly not as many shutter counts as all you guys that have been doing this a lot longer and with more dedication than I.

Jill

Canon 5D Mk3 ( edit - bought 2015 with 24-105 lens)

Setting dial ( A,P,M etc) has fallen off as has its rubberised surround.

Rubberised surround of Multi-controller on back has weatherd and is gradually falling off

Have a persistent dust blob on sensor about half way from centre to 10 O 'Clock - nearly always evident in bright sky 

Some patches of the black surface coating have worn away on edges.

The trouble is that putting it in for these cosmetic repairs means no camera for a while so I just carry on.  My plan is just to continue until the shutter or something else major stops working and then rush out to buy a new camera! ( Expect an urgent 'what should I buy' thread around this time).

By the way what should I buy that means I can carry on with the same lenses? 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

Canon 5D II, purchased 2009. No malfunctions ever. Had it cleaned in 2014 which removed the oil spots from the sensor for which the model is well known. They've re-appeared since but I haven't got round to getting it cleaned again. At the moment I'm not taking enough photos to make spotting them out a serious chore.

The 24-105mm lens I bought it with has produced sharp photograph after sharp photograph all its life despite getting a heavy knock when I leaned forward with it slung on my shoulder and it swung lens-first into a stone wall. The outer lip of the lens and the filter thread were slightly damaged but otherwise everything carried on as normal.

Alan

Current used A58 has lasted 7 years, presumably it's about 9 years old but shutter count is only about 30k. Previous used A55 only lasted 3 years and they don't give the impression of being very durable- my used Tamron macro weighs more than the camera and kit zoom. IBIS packed up early on but I may have dropped it a bit.

Incidentally I have always wet cleaned my sensors with digipads and Eclipse fluid without problems, but with the SLT it very rarely needs doing.

I'm with geog. When it breaks I buy a new one. This will be problematic next time as the A-mounts are an endangered species and I am attached to my Tamron.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

I think my 12 year old Fuji X100 is winning here (on no it isn't!), though granted it has less to do so less to go wrong.

Full disclosure - the eye sensor to automatically switch between the viewfinder and back screen doesn't seem to work any more but I never have it set to that anyway.

Edit: Didn't see the Canon 5D MkII which I also have but should sell. Built like a tank.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I have had my Nikon D4 for 11 years. Over the years, I used it in extreme conditions: 100% humidity in the Amazon, extreme heat in Australia, in the rain during monsoon. Over the last 4 years, it has been inflicted serious prolonged shaking while driving over corrugation.

The only problem I ever had with it was the rubber at the bottom becoming unglued. Even when it slipped off the tripod and fell onto concrete, it had no damage. I was flabbergasted. Only the thread at the front of the lens was damaged. Nikon managed to unscrew the filter. Seriously tough camera!

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Canon 5D Mk3 ( edit - bought 2015 with 24-105 lens)

Setting dial ( A,P,M etc) has fallen off as has its rubberised surround.

Rubberised surround of Multi-controller on back has weatherd and is gradually falling off

Sounds like you're making good use of it - what sort of shutter count is that on? Hopefully my 6D I has some way to go yet.

When I bought it (used), there was some damage to the mode button and it was easily fixed with parts from eBay - they've got buttons, dials & rubber bits for little money. The only issue is if you need to strip the body down to reach a mounting point for anything but worth considering a spot of light DIY! 

I accept it depends on how comfortable you are taking things apart that you need day-to-day, my background is electronics so I'm happy to do it but YMMV. Might not be a big job is what I'm saying, speak to your friendly local repair shop and see how long they reckon.

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to hear that you've had problems with SONY, Chuck. However it seems that you might be already using one of their products:

https://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/29/confirmed-the-sensor-inside-the-nikon-d800-is-made-by-sony.aspx/

John,

Yes I know, but trying not to remember.  I still think of one of my NIKON reps in the 80s telling me that NIKON would NEVER change the F mount.  He is no longer with us and it looks like the F mount will join him?  Sad.

I will add that the sensor, M6 6MP CCD in the Kodak / Nikon DCS-460, was one of the best ever made.  The problem was that the sensor cost more for the company to make than a complete Canon body. For a few years I had a 460 that was made for NASA and had been modified to do some really cool things for a DSLR in its day.

Chuck

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

By the way what should I buy that means I can carry on with the same lenses? 

If you want to buy new then it looks as if you can still get the 6D MkII & 5D MkIV (for now), otherwise it will be mirrorless with an EF-EOS R adapter, prices for that new seem to range between £239 (Wex - in stock) and £119 (Park Cameras - pre-order), no idea if some functionality might be lost.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-digital-slr-cameras/?p=categoryPath%3A"brand>canon>canon-cameras>canon-digital-slr-cameras"&rows=12&start=0

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

If you want to buy new then it looks as if you can still get the 6D MkII & 5D MkIV (for now), otherwise it will be mirrorless with an EF-EOS R adapter, prices for that new seem to range between £239 (Wex - in stock) and £119 (Park Cameras - pre-order), no idea if some functionality might be lost.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-digital-slr-cameras/?p=categoryPath%3A"brand>canon>canon-cameras>canon-digital-slr-cameras"&rows=12&start=0

Thanks Harry. This does say that the lenses would work 'as expected'. The 5D MkIV seems very expensive just for the body when I don't need the video and most of the high end specs. I've pretty much ignored all the talk about mirrorless cameras so it will be a big shock when the current camera does pack in. 

"The Mount Adapter EF-EOS R allows EF-S and EF lenses to be used on EOS R. Use your loved collection of EF-S or EF optics on the EOS R System confidently, knowing their existing lenses will work as expected."

Edited by geogphotos

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

This does say that the lenses would work 'as expected'.

Sounds good, I was just covering myself! Personally I don't see how you can go far wrong buying secondhand from MBP, if the 6D MkII does what you need there are plenty of 'Excellent' low shutter count examples on MBP. 5D MkIV bodies seem to have much higher shutter counts but are 'professional' bodies of course.

I'm not as fit as you, Chuck. That Nikon D800 hurt my wrist. My film Leica was an M2, a wider view than the M3.  Forum folks probably remember my tale of losing a new M2 out the door of a Huey.

Jeff, my RX100/7 (24-200) produces the same size image as your RX10 IV and fits in my pocket.

• Love 1

Sony a6000, only thing that isn't working is the pop-up flash, bought the camera new in June 2014.   I used a little plastic gismo to point the flash straight up for bouncing which may have been the problem with that.   Otherwise, no problems.   My upgrade would be the a6400 since I'm fond of as few moving parts as possible.

Sony a7 original models.   First camera bought used couldn't get the shutter to work reliably for more than one shot.   Second camera bought new and died this year.   Both sold off as repair or parts only cameras.   Would be reluctant to buy Sony full frame again, and don't have a set of lenses for it now, just the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

From my experience and from what people are saying here, if I ever have the money to buy full frame again, I'll seriously consider Canon or Nikon.  My brother and i have owned F3 Nikons in the past, and they're amazing.   My  D300 was also quite nice, but heavy.   If I could get film and chemistry here easily, I'd get another twin lens reflex. 

My experience with Panasonic Lumix bodies.

Lumix G7 - rear LCD display (tilt turn) worked loose. I had to remove rear panel and tighten hinge screws.

Lumix G100 - mode selection dial already becoming unreliable. Apparently a common problem on Panasonic cameras. May need to remove top plate and clean contacts.

Not very impressive, especially as both cameras not very old. I've got too much invested in lenses to consider changing brand though, although maybe I should look at other MFT bodies that are supposedly compatible (Olympus?)

No problems with my Sony RX100 MkIII

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

My cameras have always aged better than I have :)  I have only bought new when new technology has made it a good Idea to do so.  I have always used Nikon for my assignment work and mostly Sony for my personal/travel stock work. No camera has completely failed me.  I know my D700s both reached into the 100,000 plus shutter clicks when I stopped using them.  Now my D850s are getting a workout and no signs of fatigue. Fingers crossed!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

my RX100/7 (24-200) produces the same size image as your RX10 IV and fits in my pocket.

Edrooski old online pal
there's the matter of 201-600mm;
also, pixel peepers on DPR report
slightly better IQ 24-200mm all RX10's vs all RX100's...

but my plan is replace RX10 IV with whichever offered first:
RX10 V or RX100 VIII, latter more likely;
wifey will upgrade from me old RX10 II to me RX10 IV which I'll
grab whenever irresistible 201-600mm subject appears
which won't be that often...

overall, this thread has eased my worry about me 5+ yr old camera,
so many have gone well beyond that...

Jeff, I have the original RX-10, now 10 years old. My Sony a6000 is 9 years old. There's nothing wrong with either camera. Five years old is like new. 

Personally, I have no use for a long tele, not for what I shoot now. But every shooter has their own needs. Out of every 100 images you produce, how many would be done with 201-600mm? 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm not as fit as you, Chuck. That Nikon D800 hurt my wrist. My film Leica was an M2, a wider view than the M3.  Forum folks probably remember my tale of losing a new M2 out the door of a Huey.

Jeff, my RX100/7 (24-200) produces the same size image as your RX10 IV and fits in my pocket.

Edo, 

Had a guy in California that would take an M3 and put the M2 bright finder in it.  worked great, but better to start with the M2.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Out of every 100 images you produce, how many would be done with 201-600mm? 

less than 10%, prolly ~5%;
but some have such high impact;
I'd get ill if I kept passing 400mm+
situations I could no longer take...
  • Like 1