I would think that any young photog entering the digital stock game has basic math problems. My own view is similar to Lawrence of Arabia holding his finger over the flame. Yes it hurts. But I don't really mind that it hurts. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Yes.  To be continued... (Coffee and cake at John Lewis interupted me)

An Alamy portfolio works for a contributor who can tick one or more of the following:-

• Has gaps in their schedule that they want to fill with a activity that has a chance of reward
  • Has an existing portfolio that can be monetised
  • Wants to offset the cost of their photography
  • Wants to see if they can produce images that can compete in the market place at a very high level
  • Wants a return that is 10x or 100x that of micro per image

So if the next generation can tick some of those boxes, than yes there will be a next generation.

Edited by Mr Standfast

Ian, one of the most basic rules of the stock photo industry is that there will an infinite supply of new photos and photographers, no matter what the agencies do. While it's not an absolute, most new stock photographers will choose outlets that offer less revenue than the previous generation. So if you want to find the newest work today, you'll have to go to the free sites. My guess is that the following generation will pay cash to give their images away. After that, photographers paying publishers to use their images - perhaps in auction form.

I'll bet that there are at least three generations of new stock photographers out there and another waiting in the wings.

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, one of the most basic rules of the stock photo industry is that there will an infinite supply of new photos and photographers, no matter what the agencies do. While it's not an absolute, most new stock photographers will choose outlets that offer less revenue than the previous generation. So if you want to find the newest work today, you'll have to go to the free sites. My guess is that the following generation will pay cash to give their images away. After that, photographers paying publishers to use their images - perhaps in auction form.

I'll bet that there are at least three generations of new stock photographers out there and another waiting in the wings.

What about that rule no longer applying because there is too much work and not enough reward?

Why would new photographers deliberately choose outlets where they earn less revenue - why don't they supply Alamy?

Ian, I don't have any idea yet. I'd like to ask more questions, but when I do, people just say they do it as a hobby and don't care about the money. 

Are they telling the truth? Are they hiding something? There's no way for me to know.

54 minutes ago, Brian Yarvin said:

Ian, I don't have any idea yet. I'd like to ask more questions, but when I do, people just say they do it as a hobby and don't care about the money. 

Are they telling the truth? Are they hiding something? There's no way for me to know.

I don't think doing stock as a hobby can be much fun! A lot of effort, expense, hours sitting at the computer, doing research, and so on.

if you are talking about people just submitting a few favourite snaps now and again I don't see that as a basis for consistent supply - it is just happenstance, stock photographers need to do research and follow the market.

What strikes me as I go around is how few people I see with DSLR cameras these days, everybody just snapping away on phones doing selfies. 

Perhaps we will hear from some Alamy contributors in their 20s and 30s and find out what they think about it all. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Perhaps we will hear from some Alamy cpontributors in their 20s and 30s and find out what they think about it all. 

Out of curiosity this past year I signed up for a Reddit account.  Reddit is a very large online network of communities where people can dive into their interests, hobbies and passions.  It can be a bit wild and woolly.

After fumbling around with how it works I eventually joined a number of it's sub-reddit interest groups several of which are photography related. 

After spending time there it became fairly apparent that many of Reddit's denizens were of somewhat younger generations than I.   My time spent with the photo sub-reddits indicated there was continuing interest in getting into stock photography based on comments and questions.  Not huge numbers - but enough to indicate the continuing siren song appeal of stock photography for many newbies including younger photographers.

Stock photo/video crowd-sourcing seems alive and well.   

Oh yeah - I deleted my Reddit account a few weeks ago.   😃

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I can't see what appeal stock photography would have for younger people. I suspect many of us are only still doing it because we remember the good old days.

Alan

Or because we can't remember the good old days. 🧓👴

• Like 1

I remember the good old days vividly and that's pretty much the reason I stay on these boards. They're my last connection with a wonderful past.

Ian, I don't think you have to go far past this particular board to find the hobbyist crowd. And if you take a look at some of their collections, you'll see something far more ambitious than "holiday snaps." 

Besides, there are a fair number of people out there encouraging other people to become stock photographers - often suggesting agencies that closed their doors years ago - as viable outlets for their work.

I don't know which part of this is saddest, but the endless supply of new photographers might be it.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

What about that rule no longer applying because there is too much work and not enough reward?

Why would new photographers deliberately choose outlets where they earn less revenue - why don't they supply Alamy?

I think that video formats have drawn away a certain percentage, perhaps a high percentage, of people who want to do visual media work.  A lot of YouTube is work done by young people, in some cases, still in high school.  That medium requires a engaging personality and a good speaking voice.  Patreon groups can support people who aren't getting monitized by YouTube. 

There won't be another generation that knows anything about -- or cares about -- the traditional stock photography business model (i.e. rights managed licensing). That's for sure. However, the next generation is already being successfully crowdsourced by agencies, etc. How long newcomers will stick with stock photography, even as a worthwhile "side hustle", is another question. The turnover will likely be huge.

Edited by John Mitchell

online shooters, let's find a stock photography
canary in a coal mine...?
😵=== 😵=== 😵
what broad stock photography keyword(s)
can be monitored monthly to detect drop
in submissions ergo drop in contrib interest?
Something that remains needed, stands
test of time...?  Would it be...:
"office worker" ?
"family at home" ?
"people in airport" ?
"zoo animals" ?
& selecting "3 most recent months" ...
Would slow drop-off evidence anything?
Or is it much simpler -- monitor for slowing
of overall collection size expansion...?

PS. IMO, stock photography will continue
to add new contributors because of thrill
they seek-experience when learning their
image was published in _____, an event
they can't achieve going directly to same...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Is there a new generation of stock photographers coming along or are we an ageing bunch unlikely to be replaced?

I don't know the answer, Ian, but I can say that I'm in my 90th year and am still enjoying stock photography and don't intend to give up while I can still click a shutter.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Stan Pritchard said:

I'm in my 90th year and am still enjoying stock photography

Amazing Stock Shooting Nonagenarian:
(although 90th year implies age 89)
look into cryopreservation;
you can arrange for your Alamy net$$
to be sent to your cryopreservation trust
& enjoy the accumulated wealth after
your revival in, say, 2100**.
**assumes major scientific AI advances...
🙏🏼___🙏🏼___🙏🏼
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Perhaps we will hear from some Alamy contributors in their 20s and 30s

Damn, too old. I am the answer to life, the universe and everything.

36 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

lmao, very good 😆

11 hours ago, Stan Pritchard said:

I don't know the answer, Ian, but I can say that I'm in my 90th year and am still enjoying stock photography and don't intend to give up while I can still click a shutter.

Good for you Stan.

I do think that stock offers enormous benefits in keeping us active and interested. I feel much the same but do note that I am making less effort than before to get out locally and look for new pictures.

I notice the diference bewteen now and 20 years ago when talking to young people about what I do. Back then they were more like 'Wow could I earn money doing what you do?' - - now it is more a look of pity about how totally uncool it sounds!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Amazing Stock Shooting Nonagenarian:
(although 90th year implies age 89)
look into cryopreservation;
🙏🏼___🙏🏼___🙏🏼

Many thanks for the advice Jeffrey, I'm hoping that my family might benefit in the future. And yes, I am 89, my birthday was in January.

More money can be had from teaching and writing about photography than actually doing it for stock.

Allan

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

More money can be had from teaching and writing about photography than actually doing it for stock.

Allan

More money can be had from teaching and writing about photography than actually doing photography, full stop.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 10:10, Ed Rooney said:

I would think that any young photog entering the digital stock game has basic math problems. My own view is similar to Lawrence of Arabia holding his finger over the flame. Yes it hurts. But I don't really mind that it hurts. 

On the off chance you have an interest in Lawrence of Arabia Edo, he was a Welshman born in Tremadog which is only a couple of hours from Liverpool.

https://snowdonlodge.co.uk/birthplace-of-lawrence-of-arabia/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

And leading photo trips. All of our guides were professional photographers at photosafaris.com The leader of my last trip was John Shaw, who also has written a lot of books. Everyone loving the wildlife together. Wonderful experiences.

Paulette

• Love 1