I think idea of a young photographer calling himself/herself a "stock photographer" is or will not be a thing.   There will be people who will supply images for whatever reason but for real money is not one of them

18 minutes ago, NYCat said:

And leading photo trips. All of our guides were professional photographers at photosafaris.com The leader of my last trip was John Shaw, who also has written a lot of books. Everyone loving the wildlife together. Wonderful experiences.

Paulette

A childhood friend has been a wedding photographer his whole career, 30 to 40 years, and while he is still taking on wedding shoots, he has added teaching workshops and speaking at wedding conferences in various parts of the world.  As he is slowing down, it is a great way to keep the income coming in!

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

More money can be had from teaching and writing about photography than actually doing it for stock.

Over 10 yrs ago the head of the professional photography dept of local community college told students that the way to make money in professional photography was to find something to sell to photographers.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Over 10 yrs ago the head of the professional photography dept of local community college told students that the way to make money in professional photography was to find something to sell to photographers.

YUP!  I spend more on photography than I make from it.

Allan

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

the way to make money in professional photography was to find something to sell to photographers

Indeed. That's why we see so many talented photographers (many of whom also tried to upload on Alamy and other sites but seem to give up on that) offering Youtube classes, workshops and photo-tours for other photographers/enthusiasts instead of following their own passion. Or photographing weddings and other events...

Edited by IKuzmin

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

More money can be had from teaching and writing about photography than actually doing it for stock.

Allan

Pretty much true of many arts these days with some spectacular exceptions and other exceptions with trust funds.  A few poets who managed for a couple of decades as poets/readers of their poetry ended up eventually teaching: Snyder, Ginsberg.  Ferlinghetti was a publisher and bookstore owner.  

9 hours ago, sooth said:

here's the how-to stock photography books available at the the "business" branch of the new york public library, none of these books were published after 2018. 

do-it-yourself-self-help-small-business-advice-books-on-stock-photography-and-photo-licensing-on-a-library-shelf-2M0R04C.jpg

It doesn't look as if they are getting much use these days. I still have my copy of the late Ron Engh's 'Sell & Resell Your Photos'. It got me started on licensing my images myself as stock back in the 90's when it was still possible to do so. He made a career out of telling people how to sell their photos.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I think idea of a young photographer calling himself/herself a "stock photographer" is or will not be a thing.   There will be people who will supply images for whatever reason but for real money is not one of them

It’s funny that…as a wife & mother who worked outside of the home for a number of years how I felt about my first image sale. I initially joined a micro. When that 1st sale happened, I felt like running up & down the street yelling to my neighbors “I’m a professional photographer!” I think it sold for a dollar or two.

Shortly thereafter as I kept educating myself about stock & realized what the micros were doing to agencies like Alamy, I quit the micro & totally changed my outlook. I realized one photo selling for peanuts didn’t really make me a professional.  It it felt good for awhile, though.….😊

• Love 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

It doesn't look as if they are getting much use these days. I still have my copy of the late Ron Engh's 'Sell & Resell Your Photos'. It got me started on licensing my images myself as stock back in the 90's when it was still possible to do so. He made a career out of telling people how to sell their photos.

I had that book too, John.  Smart guy.

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s funny that…as a wife & mother who worked outside of the home for a number of years how I felt about my first image sale. I initially joined a micro. When that 1st sale happened, I felt like running up & down the street yelling to my neighbors “I’m a professional photographer!” I think it sold for a dollar or two.

Shortly thereafter as I kept educating myself about stock & realized what the micros were doing to agencies like Alamy, I quit the micro & totally changed my outlook. I realized one photo selling for peanuts didn’t really make me a professional.  It it felt good for awhile, though.….😊

After nearly forty years working with magazines and agencies, I still get a big thrill out of seeing my photos in print (online, not as much).  But I also still get a thrill of having a nice check or direct deposit hit my bank account.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

I think we need a book titled,  "How NOT to sell Stock Photos."

Allan

I think this post will disappear tomorrow when Alamy are back in their offices.

ITMA

Just now, Michael Ventura said:

I used to subscribe to a couple of his photo-needs newsletters as well. They were useful. I also made my first attempt at selling images online through his Photosource International website.

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I think we need a book titled,  "How NOT to sell Stock Photos."

Allan

I think this post will disappear tomorrow when Alamy are back in their offices.

ITMA

Brilliant idea. Their people need to talk to your people about this. 🙃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Brilliant idea. Their people need to talk to your people about this. 🙃

You along with everyone on these forums are OUR people.😉

Allan

Just now, Michael Ventura said:

After nearly forty years working with magazines and agencies, I still get a big thrill out of seeing my photos in print (online, not as much).  But I also still get a thrill of having a nice check or direct deposit hit my bank account.

Yeah, all that. I felt the same when I sold an article with pics to Bird Talk magazine, a glossy. 3 pages! Nothing can replace that feeling of the first time one is published. What I don’t understand is why I didn’t pursue the article field since I like to write. I had a few nostalgic short pieces published in the newspaper, a short piece in a book, then let it drop. That's called a failure to act just waiting to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yeah, all that. I felt the same when I sold an article with pics to Bird Talk magazine, a glossy. 3 pages! Nothing can replace that feeling of the first time one is published. What I don’t understand is why I didn’t pursue the article field since I like to write. I had a few nostalgic short pieces published in the newspaper, a short piece in a book, then let it drop. That's called a failure to act just waiting to happen.

Me too. Over the years, I wrote a few short articles but I found the process so torturous, it did not come easy for me. I could see you being a good writer.

44 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Me too. Over the years, I wrote a few short articles but I found the process so torturous, it did not come easy for me. I could see you being a good writer.

I had dozens of travel and culture articles published in newspapers and magazines. I updated a number of travel guides as well. Didn't make a lot of money, but it was great fun while it lasted. I also got invited on press and fam trips, which was exciting. However, freelance writing is not particularly something I'd like to get back into. One of the pleasant things about getting old is that the gods demand less and less of you (unless of course you're Joe Biden). What a relief! 😌

Edited by John Mitchell

13 hours ago, sooth said:

here's the how-to stock photography books available at the the "business" branch of the new york public library, none of these books were published after 2018. 

do-it-yourself-self-help-small-business-advice-books-on-stock-photography-and-photo-licensing-on-a-library-shelf-2M0R04C.jpg

I’ve ripped the covers off & recycled a few of those when reorganizing my office. Though they did help me get started. 

On 30/04/2023 at 16:22, Brian Yarvin said:

people just say they do it as a hobby and don't care about the money. 

Are they telling the truth?

Yes they are. Many people simply crave recognition. Recognition validates their lives. It's the same reason why so many allow themselves to be humiliated and ridiculed on reality TV shows.

Alan

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

Yes they are. Many people simply crave recognition. Recognition validates their lives. It's the same reason why so many allow themselves to be humiliated and ridiculed on reality TV shows.

Alan

My craving is sated by posting on these forums.😃

Allan

• Like 4