How is your October sale?

Hello! My Fellow Photographer's I would like to get survey and update if it's still worth it to put more effort on my files. I am trying to make extra income but so far since I came back on Alamy  I only had 1 sale for $1. I love what I'm doing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rose22 said:

Hello! My Fellow Photographer's I would like to get survey and update if it's still worth it to put more effort on my files. I am trying to make extra income but so far since I came back on Alamy  I only had 1 sale for $1. I love what I'm doing.

Even in better times, it took getting submissions up to over a thousand images to start making regular sales.  There are better ways to make extra income if that's critical. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rose22 said:

I've had a quick look at your photos. I hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice, but I would suggest that you could cull and/or maybe reprocess some of your images. There are quite a few where the horizon is not level, some where the subject is too small in the frame, some with excessive empty foreground, and others that are too dark. Having said that you have done well to achieve a sale with such a small collection, spruce it up a bit, add considerably more images and you might start to sell regularly.

However this is a now a mug's game, I do it as a retirement pastime. If you want to make money stack shelves or work at  almost anything else.

I have made 4 sales this month totalling $82 gross, so maybe $30 net, before tax.  Things are not what they used to be.

• Like 2

Hi Rose,

There is a thread at the end of every month where everyone reports how their month was.

But anyway... if you put in a lot of hard work and effort, and photograph saleable subjects half decently, you should see sales numbers results. As to whether the financial results are now worth it, that is another question; the market is changing and not for the better.

But you should be uploading a lot more pictures. I'm uploading about 600 a year, been doing this for about 7 years now. I've sold 6 so far this month, 150 this year so far. This is just me with a small portfolio, there will be people doing better and worse:

Sales-figures.jpg

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

Rose, as others have said, if you really need extra income (who doesn't these days...), it would be wise to try something else in addition to stock photography. It now means a lot of work for very little financial gain, which of course doesn't mean that you should stop doing something you love. Photography can be very rewarding in ways other than financial ones.

• Like 1

That yacht in your 2JKEY52, A Yacht On Granville Island In Downtown Vancouver, is a Greenline 40 Hybrid.

There has only been one search for Greenline hybrid this rolling year, so not a whole lot of interest. Otoh not many images of such a boat on Alamy.

I would also include something like solar power in your keywords.

Use All of Alamy or AoA for short to find relevant keywords for your images. Or niche subjects that do get searches but few views.

wim

as others have mentioned not only do you need to have usable images, but you also need to make sure people who want to use them will find them through search, and that is all about Caption and KW. 

Looking at set that 2JN7R9J is in.  This is the Outfield of Nat Bailey Stadium, it's Baseball, not Football, it's the home of the Vancouver Canadians, a A-ball minor league team

As others have gently mentioned, there already is a thread at the end of each month where we tell of our sales for that month. There will be a new one at the end of October or first day of November for October sales.

Asking mid-month really doesn’t do any good, since a lot of sales are slow early in the month, and more come in the last week. So if you have patience, read those threads and you will learn more.

• Love 2

I  wish  I can do other way of making money, I am having too much pain i have injury on my spine and i can't really work physically but the good news about my life is i found my soulmate. So i have to Pursue my photography being on Alamy i know i can make some money one day.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

As others have gently mentioned, there already is a thread at the end of each month where we tell of our sales for that month. There will be a new one at the end of October or first day of November for October sales.

Asking mid-month really doesn’t do any good, since a lot of sales are slow early in the month, and more come in the last week. So if you have patience, read those threads and you will learn more.

I'm sorry 

15 hours ago, rose22 said:

I  wish  I can do other way of making money, I am having too much pain i have injury on my spine and i can't really work physically but the good news about my life is i found my soulmate. So i have to Pursue my photography being on Alamy i know i can make some money one day.

Photography is rather more physical than you seem to believe if you're doing photo walks, or moving around with gear, or setting up lights.  I'm not taking photos around town since injuring my knee.

1 hour ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Photography is rather more physical than you seem to believe if you're doing photo walks, or moving around with gear, or setting up lights.  I'm not taking photos around town since injuring my knee.

You're right about that. Before I had my arthritic hip replaced four years ago, I was having trouble getting around with my camera gear even though it's very lightweight compared to the old stuff. I'd go on photo walks and have trouble getting back home. Ironically, now that my walking is back to normal, I seldom stray from my own neighbourhood to take pictures.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, BuddyMays said:

For the first time that I can remember since joining in 2007, I sold my first image of the month yesterday. Normally I would have anywhere from 10 to 20 sales by this time.  Really strange.

Hey Buddy! Great to see here on the Forum!  Me too.  I technically have zero sales so far.  Had a personal use that was quickly refunded.  Today I did get an infringement fee, "Other Income", for $78 but other than that, nothing and normally I would be around 10 sales by mid month.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, BuddyMays said:

For the first time that I can remember since joining in 2007, I sold my first image of the month yesterday. Normally I would have anywhere from 10 to 20 sales by this time.  Really strange.

Same here. I have only 2 so far. Something is not right. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Hey Buddy! Great to see here on the Forum!  Me too.  I technically have zero sales so far.  Had a personal use that was quickly refunded.  Today I did get an "Other Income" for $78 but other than that, nothing and normally I would be around 10 sales by mid month.

I seem to be bucking the trend, ten for me so far, including one invoiced today, which is above average. I agree, though, something doesn't feel right. Nice to hear from you, Buddy.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I seem to be bucking the trend, ten for me so far, including one invoiced today, which is above average. I agree, though, something doesn't feel right. Nice to hear from you, Buddy.

Glad to hear that someone is getting some "cheese".

15 hours ago, BuddyMays said:

I wouldn't worry - I find that increasingly most of my image sales are reported in the last few days of each month - a change in accounting practice, maybe?

Alex

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I wouldn't worry - I find that increasingly most of my image sales are reported in the last few days of each month - a change in accounting practice, maybe?

I do usually get a chunk of sales at the end of the month, but also good numbers of reasonably priced sales during the month. So far only small numbers of the giveaway web editorials. I don't like this!

Until a few months ago I would have very much recommended stock as a worthwhile side income. With some hard work in a relatively short space of time I'd managed to achieve some reasonable returns as I hope the graphs indicate. Although I missed out on the halcyon days, I thought I'd built a portfolio that would continue to see good returns going forward, but now I'm not so sure.

6YQxb09uxP1URqQA88s6OrYN2tsap80E74y2gix6

VC9Ih__vBmlD0ZzCIXFwYYmBHjw1CshxuIDOOk1b

Edited by Avpics
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Alex

There could well be some changes in accounting practices. This year has been very inconsistent for me. I've had several months where virtually no sales were reported during the first half of the month, yet I still ended up with average volume. However, this month, things seem to have reverted to "normal" (if there still is such a thing), and sales are trickling in throughout the month, including a $$$ one today. It's a bit puzzling. 🤔

• Like 1