Sales to China

2 minutes ago, AlessandraRC said:

several for me. How can I opt out of this? I really don't want to give Alamy the right to license my photos for this little. Sorry I've taken enough. 

you cannot control price that Alamy will licence your images, sadly we give up that right by agreeing to the contributor agreement

you can however opt out from some of the distribution agreements generally in April, but this will not guarantee that Alamy will not licence your image for pence

Edited by meanderingemu

25 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

you cannot control price that Alamy will licence your images, sadly we give up that right by agreeing to the contributor agreement

you can however opt out from some of the distribution agreements generally in April, but this will not guarantee that Alamy will not licence your image for pence

M,

Despite the contract reading;

"7.2.  Alamy agrees to use its reasonable commercial endeavours to obtain reasonable Licence Fees."

pricing is completely out of our hands - it's down either to Alamy or for even lower fees (in some cases) by its distributors.

Whether these ridiculous (and unacceptable) fees are "reasonable" would depend on the details of the business, distributor, competition, market etc so they could well be if another agency for example was selling for 3c.

One thing is certain that yet again PA/Alamy has alienated a further tranche of its contributors (it's not the first time and it won't be the last).

We look to have another IT issue allowing opted out to be coerced into a market they clearly don't want to be in. Having let them down, given their work away for fractions of cents PA/Alamy's largesse is to give all of the commission - a whopping 1c - to contributors. Wonderful benevolence!!

These are sad, depressing and angry times - understandably so - for those affected by this debacle.       

• Love 1
  • Like 2

On 22/09/2022 at 02:37, Camera Girl said:

Same - 5 of these $0.02 sales to China.  But hey - wait!  Alamy have generously split the fee 50:50 instead of 60:40 and we have each earnt $0.01 per image! 

Not in my case. The split was 60:40, 60 for Alamy Distribution Commission and 40 for Distributor Commission. My share was a very round 0, I mean #0.00

18 minutes ago, ribeiroantonio said:

Not in my case. The split was 60:40, 60 for Alamy Distribution Commission and 40 for Distributor Commission. My share was a very round 0, I mean #0.00

The way I see it, I never agreed to giveaway my work for free so $0.00 should never happen at all... even if I hadn't opted out (which I had). Alamy needs to get their house in order.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ribeiroantonio said:

That was true for everyone with 2 cent sales, and still is according to our account balances, but Alamy have stated they will give us 100% of their commission - see their statement at the top of page 2 of this thread.

21 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

That was true for everyone with 2 cent sales, and still is according to our account balances, but Alamy have stated they will give us 100% of their commission - see their statement at the top of page 2 of this thread.

Only because we'd opted out. Anyone who hadn't opted out would still be entitled to their $0.00 from those $0.02 sales.

2 hours ago, ribeiroantonio said:

The most curious thing is the fact of Alamy have the RUDENESS of taking all the commissions first and leave to the artist/contributor the great value of $0.00. How arrogant is this? 

I suspect it's not arrogance, it's incompetence. It's due to their software systems not being designed to handle such low fees. They really should have fully thought through the consequences of some of these extremely low price/image bulk deals before accepting them. Not impressed.

Mark

• Love 1
  • Like 4

On 22/09/2022 at 14:57, meanderingemu said:

Oh my gosh I’ll stop uploading here! Shame on Alamy! 

• Love 1

21 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Not to everyone. Only the ones who opted out are getting this generous gift!

• Thanks 1

I have been a victim of these ridiculous sales to China as well.  I just had one, in fact the same picture keeps getting sold to them over and over for 0. 

I think it's absolutely offensive and I stopped submitting new images to Alamy due to this.

I can not understand how companies like this can get away with treating photographers like this. 

The stupid thing is Alamy are doing their selves more harm through contributor unrest than the money they are receiving from the sales.

A few people are saying they will not upload any new images. I think it's time for Alamy to rethink this deal, even if it's just for the sake of contributor good will.

I myself haven't had any of these sales since the first round, thank goodness.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 10:40, Alamy said:

Hi All,

We're very sorry that due to a technical error on our part some of you who have opted-out of distribution are seeing image sales on your account via distribution sales.

We are aware of the issue that these sales shouldn't have happened for those opted-out...

Thanks,

Alamy

Just that.

1 hour ago, BobD said:

The stupid thing is Alamy are doing their selves more harm through contributor unrest than the money they are receiving from the sales.

A few people are saying they will not upload any new images. I think it's time for Alamy to rethink this deal, even if it's just for the sake of contributor good will.

I myself haven't had any of these sales since the first round, thank goodness.

They don't care about contributors. Those of us who post on the forum and raise concerns are a tiny proportion of their contributor base. They've got plenty of contributors happy to go with the Alamy flow. And that's before we consider the images they get from their PA links and the like. We just don't matter to them and they can treat us disdainfully with impunity.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Yay! My "top-up" has appeared in my account!

Boo! But it's still subjected to Alamy and Chinese distributor commissions reducing the princely payment of $0.08 to $0.02.

I've emailed Alamy for clarification but has anyone else had commissions taken again from the "top-up"?

Hi All, 

We've let contributors know via email that these are 'top-up payments' that incorporate 100% commission we said we'd pay due to the technical error that occurred last year with this distributor. Unfortunately this hasn't been billed correctly in those accounts and we are looking to rectify this urgently. They are not additional sales to the distributor. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused and we'll be writing to everyone affected by these sales to clarify the situation once the matter has been resolved.

Thanks, 

Chantelle 

• Thanks 2

'ASCRL Summer Distribution  - DEC 2022' small figure income just reported. Is this related?

Edit: Sorry, I now see that this may be US version of 'DACS'.

Edited by Avpics
Failed to carry out my own research!