Sales to China

It would be interesting to see how many of us have had sales to China in the last 24 hours for $0.02 - $0.00 for us. I opted out of selling to China in April. I’ve had 10 of these sales. 😡😡 

• Like 1

Fortunately(!), just the one Chinese penny licence for me. I too have opted out of sales to China.

This licence takes me to the same total of licences I sold in the whole of 2021 (yay!) but I've so far earned only 37% of the last year's gross revenue (boo!)

Edited by Russell Watkins

42 minutes ago, Duncan_Andison said:

How many more times do I need to contact Alamy about this (I'm opted out of NU and China). The last couple of times, it was sorry, human error. This isn't human error any more, it's incompetence. So far this year it's happened in January, July & now Sept. Come on Alamy at least try to give us some sort of confidence that you can managed our portfolios and that the opt out screens mean something other than nothing at all.

It's not only that they manage portfolio, but that they control and do selection process on who the select to do business with.  Alamy specifically chose and decides who they partner up with as Distributors, yet allows them to do whatever they want in all impunity.   What Audit was made when signing these agreements?  Why does Alamy even allow the distributors to Not respect Alamy's standards on reporting.

I opted out of Chinese Distro in April 2021, and did get hit with last December mass sales, but none this time- so the opt out works, but clearly this seems to confirms that Alamy is allowing Chinese distributor, which Alamy specifically Selected to do business with to hold sales for a long period and just do mass reporting whenever they feel like it.  

• Love 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

I opted out of Chinese Distro in April 2021, and did get hit with last December mass sales, but none this time- so the opt out works, but clearly this seems to confirms that Alamy is allowing Chinese distributor, which Alamy specifically Selected to do business with to hold sales for a long period and just do mass reporting whenever they feel like it

Sadly, the opt out doesn't seem to work for me. I've been opted out of NU since back in 2013 and opted out of China either this year or last. In January, I was told it was a NU scheme with a Chinese Distributor and that my work was licensed as part of that scheme in error as I've opted out of it. So, this would suggest someone somewhere within Alamy is ignoring the opt outs when it suits them... or, someone they have approved as a distributor has. Either way, it shows they don't have full control over our work.

Edited by Duncan_Andison
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Duncan_Andison said:

Sadly, the opt out doesn't seem to work for me. Someone somewhere within Alamy is ignoring the opt outs when it suits them... or, someone they have approved as a distributor has. Either way, it shows they don't have full control over our work.

You can opt out only in April, but you can opt in anytime - isn't it generous?

16 minutes ago, Duncan_Andison said:

Sadly, the opt out doesn't seem to work for me. I've been opted out of NU since back in 2013 and opted out of China either this year or last. In January, I was told it was a NU scheme with a Chinese Distributor and that my work was licensed as part of that scheme in error as I've opted out of it. So, this would suggest someone somewhere within Alamy is ignoring the opt outs when it suits them... or, someone they have approved as a distributor has. Either way, it shows they don't have full control over our work.

Pretty sure Alamy corrected/adjusted the statement on NU in regards to Distributor and decided everything a distributor does is Normal business, Alamy gives them freedom to do whatever they want- including delay reports so we can't identify when the sale actually happened in regards to Opt out and Which agreement they should have been handled under. 

Well, as I opted out of NU back in 2013 and the images being sold were uploaded well after that, I can assume these images should have never been sold under the NU scheme as there was never a point in time when they could be.

If Alamy do say they have no control over how Distributors sell work, that means I will opt out of all. Oh, but that doesn't make any difference as I'm opted out of the countries affected (China). Which they acknowledged was the case and that it was an error in Jan, July and I'm assuming another error now.

Edited by Duncan_Andison

Pleased to say I have never (yet) had any of these ridiculous "sales". I am not in NU and have opted out of all distribution apart from US and Japan. Also I have relatively low numbers of RF images, so something has worked!

kumar

• Love 3

I've opted out of NU and all distribution in april but still getting a lot of those chinese sales. Several of those are deductions only so I'm the one who actually pays the end user ?!

Alamy should step up and take responsibility. What's the point of having rules if the agency itself disregards them?

Edited by nobeastsofierce
  • Like 4

Just now, Camera Girl said:

Same - 5 of these $0.02 sales to China.  But hey - wait!  Alamy have generously split the fee 50:50 instead of 60:40 and we have each earnt $0.01 per image! 

Just re-read my account balance - and no - the 40% commission was to the distributor not me - so I have earnt zero!  Surely that is a breach of contract - we never allowed Alamy to give our images away for free.  There must be some legal position here. Surely?

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Hi All,

We're very sorry that due to a technical error on our part some of you who have opted-out of distribution are seeing image sales on your account via distribution sales.

We are aware of the issue that these sales shouldn't have happened for those opted-out of distribution, and we're investigating to establish what happened so we can resolve this as soon as possible. We'll be paying all contributors 100% of the commission from these sales. If you think you shouldn't have seen these distribution sales on your account, you can email contributors@alamy.com however we will be getting in touch with everyone affected once we have a clearer picture on the matter.

Thanks,

Alamy

• Like 2