If you are not getting sales

I ought to go back to the beginning of my port and start working on the captions and keywords. I never did do it but as older images are selling without that help I do not have the heart/energy to do that. Also the low (No! Very low fees) we are achieving these days I do not think the time doing the aforesaid is worth it.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 3

Surprisingly, I'm still doing OK in the sales department, but with more ups and downs than in the past. With 300,000,000+ images in the Alamy collection and my doing very little photography these days for various reasons, I don't really expect my sales numbers to go up. Continuing to tread water is about the best that I can hope for. Blub, blub...  🏊‍♀️

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Surprisingly, I'm still doing OK in the sales department, but with more ups and downs than in the past. With 300,000,000+ images in the Alamy collection and my doing very little photography these days for various reasons, I don't really expect my sales numbers to go up. Continuing to tread water is about the best that I can hope for. Blub, blub...  🏊‍♀️

I'm sitting on the bottom waiting for you to come down.

Allan

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Thought about it and I might start taking pictures of Suffolk churches

I am headed that way towards the end of the month. Might beat you to it.

Allan

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I ought to go back to the beginning of my port and start working on the captions and keywords. I never did do it but as older images are selling without that help I do not have the heart/energy to do that. Also the low (No! Very low fees) we are achieving these days I do not think the time doing the aforesaid is worth it.

Allan

I suggest you work on 10. Then later, another 10. Pick out the ones that look promising for sales. (I know, hard). Then see if those you improved captions and tags on are zoomed, or even better, licensed. If you see activity of any kind with them, that will tell you the work is worth it, if nothing else but to keep you in Gold.

I have done the work, a few years ago. And I noticed a definite uptick in zooms and sales. I did them all, not a handful, though. Considering we get a small amount of activity over thousands in our port, I’m not sure doing a few will tell you much. Allan, get an iPad or other tablet, and do a few in the evenings after dinner from the comfort of your easy chair. I did 5,000 plus that way. If I’d have had to sit at my computer, the job might not have gotten done.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I suggest you work on 10. Then later, another 10. Pick out the ones that look promising for sales. (I know, hard). Then see if those you improved captions and tags on are zoomed, or even better, licensed. If you see activity of any kind with them, that will tell you the work is worth it, if nothing else but to keep you in Gold.

I have done the work, a few years ago. And I noticed a definite uptick in zooms and sales. I did them all, not a handful, though. Considering we get a small amount of activity over thousands in our port, I’m not sure doing a few will tell you much. Allan, get an iPad or other tablet, and do a few in the evenings after dinner from the comfort of your easy chair. I did 5,000 plus that way. If I’d have had to sit at my computer, the job might not have gotten done.

Thanks for your encouragement Betty and I can see that from your experience it might be worth doing however I have other chickens to boil just now but will reconsider it for a winter project.

Doing the job from the comfort of my comfy recliner will not get much done as I tend to fall asleep in it even while watching very interesting programs on TV.  Couple of days ago I went to sleep in the chair quite early in the evening and did not wake up till 2.00 am then went to bed.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for your encouragement Betty and I can see that from your experience it might be worth doing however I have other chickens to boil just now but will reconsider it for a winter project.

Doing the job from the comfort of my comfy recliner will not get much done as I tend to fall asleep in it even while watching very interesting programs on TV.  Couple of days ago I went to sleep in the chair quite early in the evening and did not wake up till 2.00 am then went to bed.

Allan

I’ve been known to nod off occasionally in my chair, but usually when reading a book on my Kindle. But since I have a bad neck, and my chair is not a recliner, I immediately move to the couch for a short lie-down nap. The last thing I need is to wake up with my chin on my chest, unable to turn my head for days.

• Love 1

I seem to still be getting the same number of sales that I was getting before, though the value of them has crashed - I don't think there is much I can do about that, but a few weeks ago I seem to remember there being a discussion about whether or not people complete the "so-called" "Optional" section in Image Manager. I have always completed this section, despite it being labelled "optional" (Which I have always felt was an unfortunate misnomer by Alamy), due mainly to my slight tendency to OCD. 

I wonder whether those who have noticed a big reduction in sales always complete that section? Might it have something to do with it?

Kumar

• Love 1
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Martin L said:

I'll remember to give them a high six when I get there

Don't think anybody is going to mind either way.

But regardless of stock sales potential medieval churches are places of absolute wonder.

Does a 'high seven' exist in cool-world?

Edited by geogphotos

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Don't think anybody is going to mind either way.

But regardless of stock sales potential medieavl churches are places on absolute wonder.

Does a 'high seven' exist in cool-world?

Is there an emoji for 'hasn't quite got it'?

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

After the mess left over when Alamy changed over from the old the three keyword fields system (such, as, phrases, being, rendered, as, individual, keywords, like, this) I thought as you, with getting on for about 20k images at the time, I just couldn't face the prospect of going through them all.  However, came the pandemic, I thought it would be something useful to do during lockdown.  Took months (not all day every day - I could only do so much before my brain fried) but I eventually got through them all.  A think it paid off.

Edited by Vincent Lowe
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

I seem to still be getting the same number of sales that I was getting before, though the value of them has crashed - I don't think there is much I can do about that, but a few weeks ago I seem to remember there being a discussion about whether or not people complete the "so-called" "Optional" section in Image Manager. I have always completed this section, despite it being labelled "optional" (Which I have always felt was an unfortunate misnomer by Alamy), due mainly to my slight tendency to OCD. 

I wonder whether those who have noticed a big reduction in sales always complete that section? Might it have something to do with it?

Kumar

The "more information" and "location" gets indexed by google and other search engines.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

After the mess left over when Alamy changed over from the old the three keyword fields system (such, as, phrases, being, rendered, as, individual, keywords, like, this) I thought as you, with getting on for about 20k images at the time, I just couldn't face the prospect of going through them all.  However, came the pandemic, I thought it would be something useful to do during lockdown.  Took months (not all day every day - I could only do so much before my brain fried) but I eventually got through them all.  A think it paid off.

I did mine after the change over, because it made my keywords a mess. Working on my iPad, I’d do 20-30 an evening. I think it took me about 3 months to get them done. And yes, it does fry the brain. That last thousand, I was practically whipping myself to carry on. It sure felt good to finish, though. I’m sure it would help to go over them again, because fried brains make mistakes.

Edited by Betty LaRue

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

If you are not getting sales maybe it would be more productive to think about what you can do about it rather than blame Alamy?

This is all very well, but when you have steady sales at reasonable prices for 10 years and then suddenly, from the same set of pictures, everything completely tanks just at the time Alamy make wholesale changes to the way their site operates, where do you start?

Alan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4