Editorial collection

Nearly all my pictures are secondary editorial.

Looking at the search options I see:

ALL

CREATIVE

EDITORIAL

I also assume that my images will be divided between CREATIVE and EDITORIAL but that is not the case.

Searching just for EDITORIAL excludes virtually all of my Editorial images. 

How would anybody know that to find the vast majority of Editorial images you have to search ALL rather than EDITORIAL?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Probably just me Ian but what does that mean?

Editorial but not News - illustrative editorial images. Alamy's main market - now effectively hidden from searches.

Edited by geogphotos

It's a weird term. My understanding is that secondary editorial images are ones that were not intentionally taken for specific use, but rather for general use in books, magazine articles, etc. Almost all of my images fit into the secondary editorial category, and I'd say those of most forum members do as well. I don't know the answer to Ian's question. However, all I know is that if May and June are any indications, my sales numbers are being cut in half, so something seems to be happening with search results.

Edited by John Mitchell

I'm getting a bit annoyed that advertising photos are being considered "creative."   Someone who is taking great sports photos (mine weren't -- for high school US football, I just waited until the crowd was cheering and zoomed in on whichever runner was in front) is doing dynamic framing and composition without being able to direct the models or place them on a shooting table to look like another successful ad.   Advertising people are getting confused and wonder where the fully released cheaper-than-hiring-models-and-a-photographer photos are.   And anyone with high art photos with lots of composites and adjustment moved those to Fine Arts America.

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Editorial but not News - illustrative editorial images. Alamy's main market - now effectively hidden from searches.

It's odd because secondary editorial sales used to be Alamy's mainstay -- i.e. what kept it (and us) alive.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Editorial but not News

Thanks, I was just wondering if they had any actual definition on Alamy. After 3 days Live New images are absorbed into the main library but they will still have the 'Sell for editorial only' check box checked so I would expect them to appear under Editorial (mine do). However I'm wondering if this is because you upload as Archival and that this is why they are not coming up in Editorial. Not saying they shouldn't but it may be how things work now.

Edited by Harry Harrison

4 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

Every thing about the updated Alamy site reminds me of another site I used to be with until they went royalty free only.

If Alamy goes that route then I for one will always be RM never RF so they will not be able to sell my images and have to delete them from their stock.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Ads have one thing in common with art forgeries -- a few years after their creation, they look obvious and silly.   Things created by people who have a reasonable amount of complexity don't simply have their moments selling whatever, then looking hilariously funny or sad a few years later.

My further suspicion is that Alamy wants to be an agency of agencies, and eventually will purge the lower performing individual photographers.   I'll wait to see the details.

"Creatives" as a term for people is going to seem very very dated in a few years more (or next month if I'm finding it silly now).  Just admit some clients with money are advertising agencies and some clients want things cheap -- including people who were getting called "wordsmiths" when I was a technical writer in the DC area. 

26 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

Every thing about the updated Alamy site reminds me of another site I used to be with until they went royalty free only.

Yes, I noticed that. It's as if they dumped the database into a format that it doesn't suit. Square peg in a round hole, after which they're trying to file down the corners and hit it with a heavier hammer to force it in.

35 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, I was just wondering if they had any actual definition on Alamy. After 3 days Live New images are absorbed into the main library but they will still have the 'Sell for editorial only' check box checked so I would expect them to appear under Editorial (mine do). However I'm wondering if this is because you upload as Archival and that this is why they are not coming up in Editorial. Not saying they shouldn't but it may be how things work now.

I have only uploaded around 3400 image through Archival out of 78000.

Secondary editorial is not a specific Alamy definition. Sorry not to have explained what I meant.

4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Nearly all my pictures are secondary editorial.

Looking at the search options I see:

ALL

CREATIVE

EDITORIAL

I also assume that my images will be divided between CREATIVE and EDITORIAL but that is not the case.

Searching just for EDITORIAL excludes virtually all of my Editorial images. 

How would anybody know that to find the vast majority of Editorial images you have to search ALL rather than EDITORIAL?

same for me and i see no logic.  I even have some images loaded as LN where i removed the "for Editorial Only" that appear as Creative Uncut.   Now i'm thinking i need to add it back...  

This is really bad.  

Alamy has stated elsewhere to an ex-member of this forum that the Editorial tab 'is for images submitted via NSE or archival'. 

NSE being News, Sports & Entertainment.

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Alamy has stated elsewhere to an ex-member of this forum that the Editorial tab 'is for images submitted via NSE or archival'. 

So thinking about editorial as illustrations for journalism, not for books, magazines, or websites on subject areas (country walking, gardening, crafts, etc.).   PA's interests are photo journalism (includes news articles about the history of places) or advertising.

This is also part of the PA/Alamy family and partners:  https://www.talenthouse.com/ (posted June 28, 2022).  More here: https://pamediagroup.com/media-centre/ and here: https://pamediagroup.com/alamy-launches-create-search/

Edited by Rebecca Ore
More links

48 minutes ago, gvallee said:

but i have images submitted as News that aren't there, maybe because i removed the For Ed Only when i provided all the optional Info, so Alamy needs to advise if this is not how it should be.  

Also this is a problem for Live News images of weather and animals.....  

17 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

but i have images submitted as News that aren't there, maybe because i removed the For Ed Only when i provided all the optional Info, so Alamy needs to advise if this is not how it should be.  

Also this is a problem for Live News images of weather and animals.....  

I am merely reporting what Alamy said in case it helps. I haven't done any testing myself. I'm sure there's zillions of bugs, if the last release is anything to go by.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Am I right to think that before these changes you couldn't search for Editorial images on their own, instead you could choose to include them? My memory is fuzzy on this as I probably never tried it. Here's an Alamy blog post that might refresh our memories:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/comprehensive-guide-to-buying-stock-photos

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Which is of course not true because it also includes any images with the 'Editorial Only' option ticked.

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Which is of course not true because it also includes any images with the 'Editorial Only' option ticked.

Alan

doing some test and that does seem to be the main trigger.  Would be nice if Alamy advised what they want us to do to optimise it for clients..... 

• Like 1

I've had so many creative images - stock concepts that I shot in my home studio - used as editorial - in not just books and magazines but in newspapers too including The Daily Mail and The Independent (not to mention concepts I shot for editorial clients on this side of the pond) but none of them would be "editorial only."

And I have lots of travel photos without people in them taken in public places and so not marked "editorial only" that usually get licensed for the editorial market. 

These could all be used outside the editorial market so I wouldn't want to limit them - but I hate to lose editorial sales. Kind of a mess.

Maybe Alamy should have us add "editorial" as a keyword in this instance? But does it then move them out of one or more of the creative collections? 

Most of us seem to be in the same boat here. Maybe Alamy can give us some direction? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

How strange that Alamy should be commenting 'elsewhere' but not on their own contributor forum.

If you are referring to my post, Alamy was not commenting there. The Alamy contributor was reporting the result to his query to Alamy. 

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

How strange that Alamy should be commenting 'elsewhere' but not on their own contributor forum.

Wouldnt be the first time.  happened with the inclusivity survey.

Edited by meanderingemu