Editorial collection

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

they also addressed the "Inclusivity Survey" there last year Before they even addressed it here, so they seem to be paying attention to that forum 

Yes, they do reply there. A lot more than here. I think the difference between the two forums is that they're only moderating this one, it wasn't created for communication between Alamy and contributors but for contributors to help newbies.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BobD said:

Also in a lot of searches I don't  seem to be able to zoom my own images.

It's not just your own images mind, it seems to be random in fact. As Wim has already reported if you refresh the screen that sometimes fixes it, but not always.

I no longer see "Advanced Search" to the right after I have reached my search results. Is this just me or have we lost it? The new Help section mentions it so I think it is supposed to be there.... Wait.. now I don't know where I saw a mention of it. Anyway, is there only the place at the bottom of the filters to search a name? I'm totally confused at this point. .... Now adding another edit to this because when I try to use the filter for my name I get a result of no images though the regular search shows mine. Does that thing not work?

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

22 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Anyway, is there only the place at the bottom of the filters to search a name? I'm totally confused at this point. 

I haven't seen a new Help section, I'd like to in fact. Yes, you have to the enter the name in the field at the bottom of the Filter sidebar. You have to be quick doing it though as it automatically performs the search on a timed basis and so it stops you from typing unless it happens to be a pretty concise name. If you are already looking at an image by a particular photographer then clicking on their name/pseudonym does bring up their images, at least for that pseudonym.

Wim posted another method which is typing your own variation of this into the search bar:

John Smith/f:pseudonym

Edit: Actually that works, probably should have chosen a better example.

Edited by Harry Harrison

51 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I haven't seen a new Help section, I'd like to in fact. Yes, you have to the enter the name in the field at the bottom of the Filter sidebar. You have to be quick doing it though as it automatically performs the search on a timed basis and so it stops you from typing unless it happens to be a pretty concise name. If you are already looking at an image by a particular photographer then clicking on their name/pseudonym does bring up their images, at least for that pseudonym.

Wim posted another method which is typing your own variation of this into the search bar:

Haha! Maybe try John Doe. Oh wait.. 😂

wim

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Now at the top of the page that lists all the Forums there is a Contributor help page. If the new people look at it they may not have to ask us so many questions.

Paulette

11 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Now at the top of the page that lists all the Forums there is a Contributor help page. If the new people look at it they may not have to ask us so many questions.

Paulette

Thanks, yes that's new. I was thinking that you meant some help pages on how best to use the new website.

42 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, yes that's new. I was thinking that you meant some help pages on how best to use the new website.

That would certainly help! Too much chaos right now.

Paulette

Yet another problem I have found.

If you zoom an image ans scroll down to ' more images by the same photographer ' and click on 'see all' you get 'sorry no images found for that search term' when already there were 10 shown.

The more you dig down this new update the more chaotic it seems to be.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BobD said:

Yet another problem I have found.

There's a view that we should report this and any other shortcomings directly to contributors@alamy.com, indeed Alamy have suggested that we do so.

I might get around to doing so eventually but I'm thinking that if they were interested they would have found this out for themselves, and anyway they could just read it on here.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

There's a view that we should report this and any other shortcomings directly to contributors@alamy.com, indeed Alamy have suggested that we do so

Aren't we supposed to be busy taking photos for Alamy rather than beta testing their website?

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Alexander Hog said:

Is it really worth it taking or uploading photos with all the low prices I know some people are still hitting some good figures  

And while you are asking, those "some people" are taking photos ...

You live in a very exciting city, full of potential - just go out and shoot all of those cathedrals, churches, facades, streets, people, tourists - day and night, weekdays and on the weekends!

• Like 1

Alamy has asked us to write to contributors@alamy.com with our opinions and experiences with the Forum so I have done that. I must say the Forum is a pretty important part of my life.. Thank you all! The automatic response they send now is HUGE. It seems to want to answer every possible question. Since I was writing them I decided to also write my reactions to the changes in the site. I haven't done a lot of testing so I kept it simply to the fact that it is slow and confusing and I sometimes cannot zoom on an image. I said I have avoided the homepage since they started using moving images with quick cutting. It makes me feel sick to look at and I pointed out that I can search from other pages but buyers who have the same reaction I do are probably just going elsewhere.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Alamy has asked us to write to contributors@alamy.com with our opinions and experiences with the Forum so I have done that.

Well done for doing that, I will also. I'm sure this is covering old ground for all you forum regulars but I don't see why it should be public and readily searchable on Google, I don't see why that works for us or for Alamy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alexander Hog said:

I do agree with you Have actually lost interest because of lack of sales (uploaded more then 400 photos since May) and with everyone speaking about getting low fees as well It is a catch 22 On Almay when checking on Edinburgh it is quite saturated already but have put up a few that there is not many photos of 

besides the general imagery of Edinburgh, are there any unique technological/environmental initiatives in that city that ordinary people might overlook? things that illustrate the use of a new technology; technology that mark a progressive city or forewarn a dystopia; things installed by the city that make it work better, or more resilient and sustainable?

On 10/07/2022 at 10:21, NYCat said:

I know I am a very, very special person but I can't be the only person who can't deal with the flashing moving images. Any buyers who are like me will go elsewhere.

Paulette

they had an option for a text-only webpage back in 2011.. although back then it was limited bandwidth being the concern rather than potential health problems. they should have an option to stop the moving images on the alamy 2022 page

alamycomalamydotcomalamy-homepage-CFKDX1.jpg

Edited by sooth

1 hour ago, Alexander Hog said:

At the moment there isn't any new technological/environment initiatives in the city The only thing that is happening is new build houses and the roads are getting dug up all over the city and plenty pot holes It's a nightmare But will keep a look out for anything different  

new housing stock is always a great topic. never know what might sell. 

10 minutes ago, sooth said:

new housing stock is always a great topic. never know what might sell. 

There once was an Alamy photo need listed for construction in a particular town which was next to me. I went, I shot, it sold.

I would never have taken this kind of shot if not prompted. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gvallee said:

There once was an Alamy photo need listed for construction in a particular town which was next to me. I went, I shot, it sold.

I would never have taken this kind of shot if not prompted. 

things I've taken a photo of and sold: automated ordering kiosks (trend toward job automation/new consumer tech), rain garden/bioswale (environmental/climate change), government surveillance cameras (dystopia), water fountain dispensing carbonated tap water (progressive cities), automated self cleaning toilets (lack of public toilets).

Edited by sooth
  • Like 1

This is the response I got from Alamy on my feedback about the changes in the site......."Thank you for your feedback on Alamy. I will pass on your feedback to the relevant teams for you. We hope that all technical issues with the site will be sorted out as soon as possible." Something similar about my thoughts about the Forum.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I hope this is 'on theme' but it is nice to see the Alamy Editorial Twitter feed promoting its content, in this case using a very topical picture by Imageplotter of BJ leaving 10 Downing Street for his last PMQs.

https://twitter.com/Alamy_Editorial/status/1547189838201364483

It's a pretty active feed in fact, the link takes you to the Live News Feed which is in effect what it is promoting.

As I've said before it's a pity there isn't a direct link to the Editorial search from the Home page as there is with Ultimate, Vital, Uncut & Foundation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I hope this is 'on theme' but it is nice to see the Alamy Editorial Twitter feed promoting its content, in this case using a very topical picture by Imageplotter of BJ leaving 10 Downing Street for his last PMQs.

https://twitter.com/Alamy_Editorial/status/1547189838201364483

It's a pretty active feed in fact, the link takes you to the Live News Feed which is in effect what it is promoting.

As I've said before it's a pity there isn't a direct link to the Editorial search from the Home page as there is with Ultimate, Vital, Uncut & Foundation.

But for an Editorial search link to be effective, we need clear indication how to make sure appropriate image make it in, and inappropriate don't.  Still not addressed yet.ocue

also Alamy Editorial is former Live News tweet, so only available to a select few, and rarely promoting images that are not focus of UK/Ireland media

Edited by meanderingemu

37 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

But for an Editorial search link to be effective, we need clear indication how to make sure appropriate image make it in, and inappropriate don't.  Still not addressed yet.ocue

Well I think the search link would be useful anyway and then one can get into the nitty gritty of what comes up there, at the moment it looks like an afterthought. For my own images I only find ones that have the 'Sell for editorial use only' checked. Clear indications of what it covers would be nice but they don't seem to be forthcoming.  It seems to be a major change so of course they should have advised us of the implications for contributors, there's still time I suppose.

As for the Twitter feed, surely it is available to anyone that wants to follow it? It is mainly UK orientated admittedly, but not solely.