New Alamy website layout

51 minutes ago, CarloBo said:

Yes. I mean that on Getty you have "Editorial All" and "Editorial News", so you have a way to single out News from All Editorial.

On Alamy this isn't possibile  as far as I can tell, they will always be in the same bin.

Live News feed has their own search for 48 hours.  Does Getty keep them separate for longer?  Does that mean someone who has a news image, which also has long term editorial value need to upload twice?

I'll just record this as a bug, a fairly trivial one, I'll try it again tomorrow just to make sure.

Searched for 'Henley Royal Regatta' since it starts next week.

Ultimate - 0 images

Vital - 15 images

Uncut - 3241 images

Foundation - 0 images

All images - 3259 images (total should be 3256 from the above figures but hey ho)

Click on "See all Vital images for ‘henley royal regatta" to see which 15 images they are.

Highlighted tab moves from 'All creative' to 'Vital' but instead I see all 3259 images.

So it seems to be a simple misdirect.

If I manually switch tabs at the top and back to Vital then just 15 images are shown.

All achingly slow of course, which probably isn't easy to fix.

I know Henley Regatta very well and I'm struggling to see what is Vital about the 15 images chosen.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CarloBo said:

Yes. I mean that on Getty you have "Editorial All" and "Editorial News", so you have a way to single out News from All Editorial.

On Alamy this isn't possibile  as far as I can tell, they will always be in the same bin.

With Alamy editorial and news aren't always in the same bin. News is separate for 48 hours, although likely most news sales are made early in the first 24 hours. After 48 hours news images become stock and we have another bite at the apple.

Hi All,

Alamy made some changes to the website this week, as many of you have already noticed. We've made these changes to appeal to our creative customer base and it has meant that there is a slightly different look and way to navigate the site, with an additional four ready-made collections. All of the images are still there and users can still search in 'all' as they used to, to get the results they need and we are monitoring site usage closely to ensure we don’t see a drop in any key metrics.

Unfortunately we weren't able to update you on the Forum earlier than this as any advance notification to contributors would not have been appropriate as we needed to protect the marketing plan we have in place for customers.

We have seen your comments and the feedback is immensely useful, and we raise all technical issues with our IT team, so please bear with us. Please remember you are also free to email our Contributor Relations team contributors@alamy.com where we will help with any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Alamy

Confirming that "See all Vital images for ‘xxxxxx’ from the search results page instead takes you to All images for that search, but with the 'Vital' tab highlighted.

It has to be 'reset' by moving between tabs, say Vital to Uncut for example.

• Like 1

Referring to an issue described above, it is unclear why it seems that often the number of images returned when searching All images is more than the sum of Creative & Editorial.

The supposition is that perhaps archival or historical images do not come up in either All Creative or Editorial.

• Like 1

If you do a fresh search from the home page then the results returned depend upon your previous search, so if you were in Vital before you would see those, same for Ultimate, Foundation etc. This seems counter-intuitive to me, particularly as, depending upon the search terms of course, Vital will often have 0 results, same with Ultimate & Foundation. It is quite dispiriting to see that no images are returned for a particular search and it might not be immediately obvious why this is.

Edited by Harry Harrison

1 hour ago, Alamy said:

Hi All,

Alamy made some changes to the website this week, as many of you have already noticed. We've made these changes to appeal to our creative customer base and it has meant that there is a slightly different look and way to navigate the site, with an additional four ready-made collections. All of the images are still there and users can still search in 'all' as they used to, to get the results they need and we are monitoring site usage closely to ensure we don’t see a drop in any key metrics.

Unfortunately we weren't able to update you on the Forum earlier than this as any advance notification to contributors would not have been appropriate as we needed to protect the marketing plan we have in place for customers.

We have seen your comments and the feedback is immensely useful, and we raise all technical issues with our IT team, so please bear with us. Please remember you are also free to email our Contributor Relations team contributors@alamy.com where we will help with any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Alamy

What would you say to those of us that try to upload regularly and weekly when possible that have seen our views slashed . What would you say is the incentive that we should look at to keep uploading images.

Shergar 

• Like 5

I don't think I'm misrepresenting long-time contributors by saying that in the past the 'Sell for editorial use only' check-box in AIM has often just been used to emphasise that the contributor feels that, because of the the specific content, they don't want to risk it selling for any other application. The main bulk of their images might be eminently suitable for editorial but they haven't checked the box. In the new website this means that those images, suitable for editorial but without the 'Sell for editorial use only' box checked, will not be included under the new prominent Editorial section. This seems like a pretty major change in emphasis.

I imagine that many people will gravitate towards searching 'All creative' so that they can see how many images are in Ultimate, Vital, Uncut & Foundation. Since there are often no images for a search in Ultimate then without scrolling down they will see a mainly blank screen with:

There are no search results for the search term 'xxxx' in the Ultimate Collection.

Please broaden your search or visit the other available collections.

Promoting a collection as 'Ultimate' when there are often no images in it, and if there are it is difficult to see what might be 'Ultimate' about them might be counter-productive.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Promoting a collection as 'Ultimate' when there are often no images in it, and if there are it is difficult to see what might be 'Ultimate' about them might be counter-productive.

That's a generous understatement....

Mark

• Like 2

I feel sorry for those contributors who might now just miss out on the $250 sales required to keep their Gold status due to the recent changes Alamy made to their rank and the latest Alamy search page changes. It hardly seems fair to cut their commission rate in half as a result of things over which they have little control.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 2
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I imagine that many people will gravitate towards searching 'All creative' so that they can see how many images are in Ultimate, Vital, Uncut & Foundation. Since there are often no images for a search in Ultimate then without scrolling down they will see a mainly blank screen with:

There are no search results for the search term 'xxxx' in the Ultimate Collection.

Please broaden your search or visit the other available collections.

Alamy are unfortunately  "owning the blank page"

• Love 1

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Was there a really an Alamy announcement at the end of business on a Friday evening.

Classy.

Also, the "we couldn't advise before release".  I have been in plenty of business where this is true, we still had the Announcement to our Partners ready for distribution AT TIME of release, with most times Q/A ready for the fronting staff to communicate the impact to PARTNERS.....  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I imagine that you are aware of this but selecting to search just in 'Photographs' results in a lengthy wait and then a '504 Gateway Time-Out'.

Early today from the Alamy home page I selected All Images, then Photographs, and the search term Margaret Thatcher statue Grantham. This brought up 2 pages, with 3 of my 4 images near the top of page 1, and another lower down on page 1. I tried again minutes ago as earlier today. The search pulled up 1 page only with none of mine showing. I checked, they were still showing in my port. Searches I successfully made on Thursday for other known uploads now find nothing at all. Something very screwy is going on. I wonder how customers find anything they search for without throwing their computer out of the window. My wife undertook the same statue search on her phone just now and found one of my images 14 from the top. What is going on? A least Live news appears to be functioning.

1 minute ago, Ace said:

Just typed in the word GOLF into the search page... it found 49 photos ?????

OK. My mistake, had it set on Creative... now I've got 342,000 !

Needs to be set on Editorial.

31 minutes ago, Ace said:

OK. My mistake, had it set on Creative... now I've got 342,000 !

Needs to be set on Editorial.

I get 639,136 so Editorial is no good either.

The problem is that as a client it is very hard or impossible to see where you are, how you got there and why you are getting so few and such weird results.

wim

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Alamy said:

All the more reason why the forum should not be viewable unless you are a logged-in contributor!

• Love 4
  • Thanks 1

What intrigues me is that if you search from your dashboard using "all" you will get an entirely different set of images using the same criteria from the Alamy homepage !

Clearly still a work in progress.

• Alamy locked this topic