New Alamy website layout

2 minutes ago, Reimar said:

It's very easy to forget what filters you have selected when you hide the filter pane.  Filters selected are not shown when the pane is minimized to maximize screen thumbnails.  The display of images is way more sluggish than before.  Alamy used to be so fast.

The contributor filter resets with each new search or refresh.

I am getting lots of 502 bad gateways btw.

When I click editorial or creative, none of my images show up so far. I have to click all.

Interesting concept. https://tweakers.net/g/s/bonk.gif

Maybe all of this is what clients want.

There's this joke about a grocer. (It's that old.)

A customer says to the grocer: I noticed that you have a whole wall with boxes of salt.

Grocer: Yeah?

Customer: Are you selling that much salt?

Grocer: No but my colleague across the street even has two walls full so he must be selling lots of it.

Another one:

A customer says to the grocer: I noticed that you have a whole wall with boxes of salt.

Grocer: Yeah?

Customer: Are you selling that much salt?

Grocer: No but you would have no idea how much that salt salesman sells.

wim

• Love 1

I was just censored for using the word "cluster****"

And I spent 20 minutes collecting and writing my thoughts and experiences down. Thanks for making my time worthless. I wont bother trying to educate, question or elucidate again. 

"Along with 'Antimatter' and 'Dark Matter' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever."

Edited by Chexy

OK, if you go to each of Ultimate, Vital!, Uncut & Foundation from the home page you do get different representative sets of around 500 sample images. However, for me, if you've arrived at a set of sample images that way and then you simply switch to the different tabs from there that first selection is just stuck, even though it says at the top that it is a set of sample images for either Ultimate, Vital!, Uncut or Foundation.

Is there no choice between large thumbnails/small thumbnails anymore after I have started at the front page?

When I go to the Latest collections

Body positivity

Climate visuals etc.

there's still the choice in the upper right hand corner, but now and then the page switches from small to large without warning.

My guess is that novice users visitors will love the big thumbnails, but serious clients won't.

That may well be the case for the whole concept.

Remember what Google did right? Starting with a single search box on a blank page.  Dare I say it? They owned...

wim

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

See above:

Foundation

Elementary stock images perfect for composites. The foundation of design, find cut-outs, graphics and vectors to speed up your creativity.

i had a look at some and it make little sense.  Plenty of images where subject is not isolated and where other similar images are filtered out....   Add kw spamming, and i am not sure how useful this is for clients

Here is example for "heron"

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/heron.html?imgt=0&collectiontype=foundation

not many workable heron images their, made worse by the  KW spammed  "animal isolated" series- good luck finding the one that has a heron,,,,,   

I'm just thinking aloud here but I noticed a surprisingly mundane (nothing wrong with that) image amongst the Vital! sample images of a construction worker in a hard hat taking the level of a breeze block wall. So i tried searching for 'engineer level check' in each of the tabs.

All - 609 images

All creative - 528 images

Ultimate - 0 images

Vital! - 243 images

Uncut - 253 images

Foundation - 32 images

Switching from Vital! to Uncut was very slow indeed incidentally.

Firstly, I'm left wondering why anyone would bother searching in anything but 'All' when the other tabs just remove images from the search.

Secondly, how on earth is the system filtering the images for each heading.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

not many workable heron images their, made worse by the  KW spammed  "animal isolated" series- good luck finding the one that has a heron,,,,,   

Sure is slow for me, and not worth the wait as you say. Charitably I suppose these might be just teething problems and an army of software engineers are working round the clock to make it work now that it has gone live. Or is this just the Brave New World of Artificial Intelligence?

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Firstly, I'm left wondering why anyone would bother searching in anything but 'All' when the other tabs just remove images from the search.

Because if i`m a client i assume Alamy is working with me, so i will select things like "Ultimate" and "Vital!" thinking this is the best on offer.....  

Just now, meanderingemu said:

Because if i`m a client i assume Alamy is working with me, so i will select things like "Ultimate" and "Vital!" thinking this is the best on offer.....  

I suppose so, not sure you'd do it next time though. Looking forward to finding some Ultimate images....

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Maybe we should start entering a bug list, I'll start.

Copy/paste doesn't work into the search box on any but the dashboard page (Chrome).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm just thinking aloud here but I noticed a surprisingly mundane (nothing wrong with that) image amongst the Vital! sample images of a construction worker in a hard hat taking the level of a breeze block wall. So i tried searching for 'engineer level check' in each of the tabs.

All - 609 images

All creative - 528 images

Ultimate - 0 images

Vital! - 243 images

Uncut - 253 images

Foundation - 32 images

Switching from Vital! to Uncut was very slow indeed incidentally.

Secondly, how on earth is the system filtering the images for each heading.

By contributor?

1 hour ago, Chexy said:

I was just censored for using the word "cluster****"

Which indicates that Alamy were expecting negative feedback from contributors if they were monitoring the forum and acting so quickly.

Just now, Avpics said:

Which indicates that Alamy were expecting negative feedback from contributors if they were monitoring the forum and acting so quickly.

this may actually be part of the default for the forum, I assume there is a bunch of words that are blocked by the forum provider, with help from Alamy 

4 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Hmm I would say it proves there is a profanity filter active on Invision boards.

Safe spaces and all that.

wim

• Love 1

Operational Bug report

Opened a new tab, did a new search from Homepage, and it kept the last filters: no many image of a Kakapo that fits as "editorial" i guess.  If client doesn't realise this is why results are odd they might just go elsewhere.....  

13 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

this may actually be part of the default for the forum, I assume there is a bunch of words that are blocked by the forum provider, with help from Alamy 

The word they desire to block is not the word I used. The word I used is a legitimate word with a specific meaning that was totally apropos. (it just happens to contain 4 letters in a particular order).  Grow up Alamy. The new site design was not properly tested before being uploaded. I had pointed out a couple of relevant performance issues in the new format. There are a host of issues with the new design. I hope that it eventually becomes usable. I will do no further beta testing.

Edited by Chexy

17 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

By contributor?

Well, I don't think so but I haven't gone into the captions & keywords etc. to see. Ultimate I can understand, they are hand-picked, though we don't know how many there are, or at least I don't, but searching on just Ultimate hasn't proved very fruitful so far.

As for the others, I can't see how it can be keywords or captions, 'Foundation' seems to be particularly limiting.

Vital

This high-end creative collection is built on authenticity and created with emerging trends in mind.

Uncut

Celebrate the raw, the random and the subversive. From abstract photographers to UGC – it’s all here. Uncut frees you from convention.

Foundation

Elementary stock images perfect for composites. The foundation of design, find cut-outs, graphics and vectors to speed up your creativity.

8 hours ago, Avpics said:

So, are we now at a disadvantage as Alamy contributors to the agency collections which have the options to complete the filter details not available to us?

I've been suspecting that the agencies matter more to Alamy than the individual contributors since seeing what agencies could negotiate compared to what individual contributors could negotiate.   Poking around in one of the categories, I found that Africa Studio has about a million and a half photos up, 500 pages.  Not released in their case, but many from other agencies are. 

If Alamy is trying to expand into advertising photos more, then agencies and individuals with released photos will get more promotional attention.  The cutouts collection, in particular, seem to very much be geared to advertising design.  The deep discounts seem also trying to get new regular clients.  Editorial seems to be more about the subject and less about the sizzle.

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i had a look at some and it make little sense.  Plenty of images where subject is not isolated and where other similar images are filtered out....   Add kw spamming, and i am not sure how useful this is for clients

Here is example for "heron"

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/heron.html?imgt=0&collectiontype=foundation

One contributor (with a jumping girl in the heron search) has over 280,000 photos up, mostly model released.  Most of these look like photo agency work.

Foundation is directed to people putting together composites.

• Alamy locked this topic