New Alamy website layout

Did I miss a communication on this or discussion elsewhere in the forum?,  the Alamy site layout and configuration has changed significantly , I am trying to navigate it at present just to understand it more

Edited by Foreign Export

I now see what you mean. The customer's search filters have changed, many of which I don't understand how the system would know which images would apply to it. Age? Viewpoint?

Edited by Avpics

There’s definitely been a change, I used to click on ‘advanced search’ and put a contributor name in. Now I can’t. It looks very different. If you do a search the page looks very different now too. 

Edited by ROC

There's some very strange categories under Creative, and I couldn't see Relevant anywhere - it seems to have changed to Editorial. I just wish Alamy would communicate with the contributors about these kind of changes. Do you need to tick Editorial only for images to show up under the Editorial tab for example?

• Love 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ROC said:

There’s definitely been a change, I used to click on ‘advanced search’ and put a contributor name in. Now I can’t. It looks very different. If you do a search the page looks very different now too. 

This has changed a while ago. You cannot do an advanced search on contributor's name from Alamy homepage. You can only do a search from your dashboard.

Just tried a few searches under the editorial tab, when you click to move on to the next page of images from page 1 you get the same set of images again and again. Search for bath protest under editorial tab to see what i mean.

Edited by Lynchpics
New info added

7 minutes ago, Lynchpics said:

Just tried a few searches under the editorial tab, when you click to move on to the next page of images from page 1 you get the same set of images again and again. Search for bath protest under editorial tab to see what i mean.

Yep, right mess but might be because of - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10937043/Major-Cloudflare-outage-causes-hundreds-websites-return-500-Internal-Server-error-message.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReeRay said:

Yeah, that could be what is causing it. It all seems to works correctly if you search via the 'all' tab.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

This has changed a while ago. You cannot do an advanced search on contributor's name from Alamy homepage. You can only do a search from your dashboard.

I’ve always done it from my dashboard. Yesterday I could, today I can’t.

I'd like to think it's just a temporary problem but I've got a horrible feeling that someone has actually designed it to work like this (I use the term loosely). As has been said some of the criteria are completely new, so now we have Ultimate, Uncut, Vital! & Foundation. Please, please don't let 'Foundation' be anything to do with NFTs. 

So now instead of the search criteria nicely aligned along the top we have a huge great ugly sidebar taking up a third of the page that might otherwise be displaying pictures that someone might actually want to buy.

It has definitely changed overnight, I thought perhaps we might have been warned. I was using Advanced Search on a photographer's name from the home page only yesterday afternoon. The option has now moved to the bottom of that sidebar which now has some new esoteric ways of searching such as searching on colour by HEX value (!). Since we don't obviously enter HEX values I suppose this means that AI has moved into the search space.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

Maybe we should start entering a bug list, I'll start.

I entered a search term 'Kop Hill Climb', simply because I know there aren't that many results. In the 'Creative' tab all the results are B&W because it seems to be defaulting to the Black & White Style option even though I don't recall using that and anyway if I switch to colour then close the tab and start again the same thing happens.

I also note that it puts the first part of my email address into the colour 'Hex' box preceded by the hash sign. I clear it out and after a few seconds before my very eyes it puts it in again without me touching the keyboard.

Yes, I also get page 1 of the Editorial results repeated on page 2 (only 2 pages of results in my case).

It's a bit slow to go between All, Creative & Editorial, some 'busy' symbols come up while it's thinking about it, could just be my wifi though.

3 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

So is there now a way to see all of the pictures that a given contributor has on sale without filtering most of the images out by giving a keyword(s) in the search?

OK.. to answer my own question... yes you can. In the search field enter a '*' (without the single quotes) and then on the left-hand control panel in the 'Search by contributor name' field, out the name of the photographer.

I can't usually bear to stay on the home page long enough to see what's on there but I've forced myself so that you don't have to and I see these new ways of searching are explained.

Ultimate

If you’re fed up with run-of-the-mill search results, try hand-selected images like no other, sourced by creative experts.

Vital

This high-end creative collection is built on authenticity and created with emerging trends in mind.

Uncut

Celebrate the raw, the random and the subversive. From abstract photographers to UGC – it’s all here. Uncut frees you from convention.

Foundation

Elementary stock images perfect for composites. The foundation of design, find cut-outs, graphics and vectors to speed up your creativity.

So mercifully 'Foundation' has nothing to do with NFTs.

It rather begs the questions:

How are images chosen to be in the Ultimate selection, hand-picked apparently but based on what criteria?

Similarly with Vital, presumably not hand-picked otherwise they would have said so but 'high-end' and 'built on authenticity and created with emerging trends in mind'.

Ditto for Uncut and Foundation I suppose, had to look up UGC - User Generated Content.

1 hour ago, ROC said:

I’ve always done it from my dashboard. Yesterday I could, today I can’t.

You're absolutely right, it doesn't work anymore from the dashboard either.

Would be nice to understand what the tabs mean, and where they get their data

I just did a search "Ottawa market 2020" which was my last search saved....

Top image is one of mine that actually recently licenced for Editorial use-good.

I go to "editorial" tab, the image drops to almost the end, below images that have nothing to do with "market"....?????  

1 minute ago, Foreign Export said:

and what does foundation mean?

See above:

Foundation

Elementary stock images perfect for composites. The foundation of design, find cut-outs, graphics and vectors to speed up your creativity.

• Like 2

It's very easy to forget what filters you have selected when you hide the filter pane.  Filters selected are not shown when the pane is minimized to maximize screen thumbnails.  The display of images is way more sluggish than before.  Alamy used to be so fast.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Well they've announced it on Twitter now, sort of:

https://twitter.com/alamy/status/1539222874598293508

"Boring right? Well, it doesn’t have to be.⁠"

Well it is kind of boring if the sample images for each of your snazzy new collections are all the same.

Edited by Harry Harrison

• Alamy locked this topic