April 2022 - Favourite uploads.

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Not wise to go in saying "Come on now lads, that's enough."

Allan

I didn't go to them, they were fighting by the side of the walking trail in savannah. They were poking out of the long grass, red mouth open, entertwinned. They easily reached my waist only half-erect. It was a spectacular sight. They paused a few seconds to stare at us with their red eyes.

On 15/04/2022 at 00:32, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Have you used attached zoom lens or something else?

There is a mode that zooms in somewhat. I don’t know if Lisa used it or cropped. Oh, I see Lisa answered.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Great shot Gillian! By sheer coincidence, I archived 5 minutes ago a series of pix of two male Black Whipsnakes fighting. The images are too small for Alamy. What a shame. The fight lasted a long time, we left before the end. We didn't know what kind of snakes they were and we were standing about 3m away. It turned out that they are the fastest snakes in Australia and highly poisonous. And quite long as well!

Geneviève,  since there is no images of  "Black Whipsnakes fighting" on the database, Alamy may let you upload them as Reportage if they are big enough for those requirements.  I remember they did for someone else rare wildlife occurrence a few years ago.

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Great shot Gillian! By sheer coincidence, I archived 5 minutes ago a series of pix of two male Black Whipsnakes fighting. The images are too small for Alamy. What a shame. The fight lasted a long time, we left before the end. We didn't know what kind of snakes they were and we were standing about 3m away. It turned out that they are the fastest snakes in Australia and highly poisonous. And quite long as well!

Thanks, Gen. The whipsnake fight sounds like a memorable experience. Luckily, when snakes are fighting, they seem to completely ignore humans!

6 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Thanks, Gen. The whipsnake fight sounds like a memorable experience. Luckily, when snakes are fighting, they seem to completely ignore humans!

https://ibb.co/rv3vfny

https://ibb.co/pQWyVs8

https://ibb.co/gSjTs7Y

https://ibb.co/GssVVVR

https://ibb.co/Wx82ggK

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Geneviève,  since there is no images of  "Black Whipsnakes fighting" on the database, Alamy may let you upload them as Reportage if they are big enough for those requirements.  I remember they did for someone else rare wildlife occurrence a few years ago.

Thank you for the suggestion but I cannot be bothered. I'm off again in the wilderness without internet for some time. Too much trouble for too little return. That was an idea anyway.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

If you have archival privileges, you can upload anything. We have seen plenty weird examples here.

Whip snakes fighting brings up 5 images from European whip snakes that are pretty impressive.

Not many searches though. A little more for snake fight.

Those impressive images of the European whip snakes are sitting right at the end of the pack for that last search - meaning: not selling.

wim

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

If you have archival privileges, you can upload anything. We have seen plenty weird examples here.

Whip snakes fighting brings up 5 images from European whip snakes that are pretty impressive.

Those impressive images of the European whip snakes are sitting right at the end of the pack for that last search - meaning: not selling.

wim

didn't think of splitting whipsnake, assumed that was the name.  

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Good series. The photographer was lucky that the snakes were fighting on open ground. Mine were at it in waist high grass.

I'm not entirely convinced that a photo buyer would look on Alamy for serious wildlife. By serious I mean, correctly IDed. 

There are so many mistakes, contributors either trying to guess or not caring. Despite my best efforts on research, I wouldn't be surprised if I had some. 

• Like 1

Just now, meanderingemu said:

didn't think of splitting whipsnake, assumed that was the name.  

It seems to be spelt both ways depending on where you look.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Good series. The photographer was lucky that the snakes were fighting on open ground. Mine were at it in waist high grass.

I'm not entirely convinced that a photo buyer would look on Alamy for serious wildlife. By serious I mean, correctly IDed. 

There are so many mistakes, contributors either trying to guess or not caring. Despite my best efforts on research, I wouldn't be surprised if I had some. 

I like yours better, Gen. So frightening with the red mouths. Eeeeek!

Paulette

30 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I like yours better, Gen. So frightening with the red mouths. Eeeeek!

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. What was also impressive was their length. We didn't know what specie they were, if they were venomous or whether they were going to go for us, being so close. 

Oh and by the way, I learnt something. How can you tell if entertwined snakes are mating or fighting? If at ground level, they're mating. If up in the air, they're fighting.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

A RNLI Lifeguard offering a surfer some advice on Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall last week

2J52EMR.jpg

"Word of advice." translates to "giving a caution"  or  "telling off"😃

Allan

On 20/04/2022 at 10:21, gvallee said:

I agree there are way too many incorrectly ID'd images on Alamy, some people call things everything they can think of, and then some. Add to that, that sometimes things can't be ID'd from a photo, or have been reclassified to. It's really hard to keep up. But yes, too many who just don;t give a damn!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

I agree there are way too many incorrectly ID'd images on Alamy, some people call things everything they can think of, and then some. Add to that, that sometimes things can't be ID'd from a photo, or have been reclassified to. It's really hard to keep up. But yes, too many who just don;t give a damn!

When I started shooting insects in Australia, I had no clue what they were. As I wanted to make sure I had the correct ID, I contacted Australia Museum for help. They quoted a minimum of one hour at $80 per specie... And preferably they'd appreciate a dead specimen... Luckily I found other Id sources.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

Another upload from me, a hoverfly, the only one I've seen of this species, and the only one on Alamy, and some images of Pyrgomorph grasshoppers at different life stages, mating and  shedding.
orange-striped-hoverfly-asarkina-ericeto

grasshopper-northern-grass-pyrgomorph-at

Curiously, I was thinking about you 5mn ago. I'm camped by a delightful river full of birds, especially bowerbirds. I was wondering about insects, always present by water, but my knees are killing me too much to go bugging.

Great set again Carol, I like the water drops on the last one. And the mating one. And and and... Well all of them.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Curiously, I was thinking about you 5mn ago. I'm camped by a delightful river full of birds, especially bowerbirds. I was wondering about insects, always present by water, but my knees are killing me too much to go bugging.

Great set again Carol, I like the water drops on the last one. And the mating one. And and and... Well all of them.

You’ve lived an active life, Gen, as have I. Our body parts pay for it. Foot, shoulder, knee and now back surgeries for me. Soon I’ll be as rebuilt as a prized Model T Ford. Shhhh, don’t mention hips. They still seem ok, so don’t jinx them.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You’ve lived an active life, Gen, as have I. Our body parts pay for it. Foot, shoulder, knee and now back surgeries for me. Soon I’ll be as rebuilt as a prized Model T Ford. Shhhh, don’t mention hips. They still seem ok, so don’t jinx them.

I also had a few fractures which doesn't help. It's no fun getting older.

Gen, I'm sorry, I chuckled about your knees. With me it's back and hips, although knees do get a bit of a look in too!  I can't squat or kneel etc. If I get down on the ground, it is a major job to get up again. Oh thy joys of getting older!

Your camping spot sound wonderful, I wish I was there......instead I'm soon to head off for a flu jab! Speaking of bowerbirds, we had a lovely Satin Bowerbird with a bower next door, right next to our fence. He made lots of babies over the years, until a cat got him one night about 2 years ago. His sons have grown over the years, many changed from green to black and a few months ago a new "Blackie" started to build his bower in exactly the  same spot, 6 inches from our fence. ONce he got settled, our neighbour started giving him grapes and I give him a few rolled oats each morning. Started off very shy, now I call as I head over to feed him and he sits in a nearby bush and waits for breakfast. This morning he flew onto the fence and let me get to within a meter of him. I suspect "things" will start to warm up by August, when he'll steal every blue peg for miles around, to add to the already impressive collection.

When I started shooting insects in Australia, I had no clue what they were. As I wanted to make sure I had the correct ID, I contacted Australia Museum for help. They quoted a minimum of one hour at $80 per specie... And preferably they'd appreciate a dead specimen... Luckily I found other Id sources.

I joined a heap of FB groups and have slowly learned who to trust for ID's + I use iNaturalist too. But some things so hard to be sure of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbimages said:

Gen, I'm sorry, I chuckled about your knees. With me it's back and hips, although knees do get a bit of a look in too!  I can't squat or kneel etc. If I get down on the ground, it is a major job to get up again. Oh thy joys of getting older!

Your camping spot sound wonderful, I wish I was there......instead I'm soon to head off for a flu jab! Speaking of bowerbirds, we had a lovely Satin Bowerbird with a bower next door, right next to our fence. He made lots of babies over the years, until a cat got him one night about 2 years ago. His sons have grown over the years, many changed from green to black and a few months ago a new "Blackie" started to build his bower in exactly the  same spot, 6 inches from our fence. ONce he got settled, our neighbour started giving him grapes and I give him a few rolled oats each morning. Started off very shy, now I call as I head over to feed him and he sits in a nearby bush and waits for breakfast. This morning he flew onto the fence and let me get to within a meter of him. I suspect "things" will start to warm up by August, when he'll steal every blue peg for miles around, to add to the already impressive collection.

I joined a heap of FB groups and have slowly learned who to trust for ID's + I use iNaturalist too. But some things so hard to be sure of.

Carol, you are allowed to laugh as much as you like about my knees, compared to what you are going through it's a breeze. 

Tonight we've moved to another camping site by a creek, more bowerbirds. This morning I walked through the undergrowth. Tiny quails took off literally from under my feet. It was magical!

Carol ! There is hope for our beasties,  check out the Sold Images thread. I just sold two! Albeit at low $$ but hey! Someone appreciates them. 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

I'm camped by a delightful river full of birds,

Now THAT'S unusual. Get as many shots as possible.😃

Allan