Tass

SalopPhil

With governments and businesses across the world halting almost all collaborations and business arrangements with Russia after it invaded Ukraine, will Alamy stop offering images from the Russian Government controlled Tass news agency in its live news feed? 

• Like 9

Here in Ontario, the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) has removed all Russian liquor from the shelves and stopped all orders.  The LCBO is the largest liquor buyer in the world.

Jill

• Love 3

Every single action, no matter how seemingly small, should be made to demonstrate to Putin that he is now leading a pariah state that the rest of the world will not support in any way. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 4

This unison line in the captions TASS photographers or the agency write with images coming out of Ukraine as well as Moscow/wider Russia, worries me in particular:

"On 24 February, Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and the Lugansk People's Republic."

• Like 3

Alamy should not be distributing propaganda put out by a news agency run by and working for a government currently engaged in illegal aggression and war crimes against a sovereign state. 
The fact that pictures are captioned with the location "Donetsk People's Republic" and "Lugansk People's Republic" should be enough of a giveaway - nowhere on the planet has recognised those areas as a 'people's republic' apart from Russia. 
Alamy should remove them - or at the very least, in accordance with Alamy's own guidelines on accurate captioning, correct the location to "Eastern Ukraine" in line with legal United Nations recognition of sovereign states  - that might stop TASS submitting them in the first place

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 5

incredible.  Just saw this.  So @Alamy is still working with Russian propaganda organisation? 

On 01/03/2022 at 10:47, Jill Morgan said:

Here in Ontario, the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) has removed all Russian liquor from the shelves and stopped all orders.  The LCBO is the largest liquor buyer in the world.

Jill

Nova Scotia did the same.

In addition cable distributors have removed RT News (more Russia Propaganda) from their offering.  

13 hours ago, imageplotter said:

This unison line in the captions TASS photographers or the agency write with images coming out of Ukraine as well as Moscow/wider Russia, worries me in particular:

"On 24 February, Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and the Lugansk People's Republic."

this is today. 

BREST REGION, BELARUS - MARCH 3, 2022: Russian Presidential Aide Vladimir Medinsky talks to journalists. Medinsky said that the Russian-Ukrainian talks would take place in the Brest Region as it had been planned. The first round of the negotiations was held in the Gomel Region, Belarus, on 28 February 2022. Early on 24 February, Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic. Russian Embassy in Belarus/TASS 

"First round of "negotiations" forgets to mention "While we were still bombing Ukrainian Civilians",  and then repeats the Feb 24 propaganda. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt Limb said:

The first casualty of any war is The Truth ... sadly it can be from both sides

But I agree I feel a little uncomfortble, especailly as a very good friend, photgrapher, is working over there

i hope your friend stays safe.  

as for your other statement, this seems to not apply to TASS since as per their statement this is not War it is simply "a special military operation"  😉

14 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

this is today. 

BREST REGION, BELARUS - MARCH 3, 2022: Russian Presidential Aide Vladimir Medinsky talks to journalists. Medinsky said that the Russian-Ukrainian talks would take place in the Brest Region as it had been planned. The first round of the negotiations was held in the Gomel Region, Belarus, on 28 February 2022. Early on 24 February, Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic. Russian Embassy in Belarus/TASS 

"First round of "negotiations" forgets to mention "While we were still bombing Ukrainian Civilians",  and then repeats the Feb 24 propaganda. 

This is everybody's business. Come on Alamy, take these lies down now. It would be unforgiveable to leave Russian propaganda on the site.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

i hope your friend stays safe.  

as for your other statement, this seems to not apply to TASS since as per their statement this is not War it is simply "a special military operation"  😉

So it Totally Applies ... 

Regarding my friend, he maganed to get out of one of the citys (I will not say which on here) spoke last night and he is safe

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

this got me curious.  So i checked if they are reporting on any of the Russian rallies against the Russian Invasion of Ukraine,

These are a caption on the only current set

"St Petersburg, Russia. 2nd Mar, 2022. People take part in an unauthorized rally against the Russian military operation in Ukraine in Nevsky Avenue. On 24 February, Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic"

"St Petersburg, Russia. 2nd Mar, 2022. Law enforcement officers detain participants in an unauthorized rally against the Russian military operation in Ukraine in Nevsky Avenue. On 24 February, Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic."

now i feel stupid for trying to be fair in my Convoy and anti-vaxxers captions

Hi all, 

We are constantly reviewing our approach inline with sanctions operating against Russia and part of that involves considering our position with relation to TASS and other suppliers. 

Thanks, 

Alamy

• Like 1

Just now, Alamy said:

Hi all, 

We are constantly reviewing our approach inline with sanctions operating against Russia and part of that involves considering our position with relation to TASS and other suppliers. 

Thanks, 

Alamy

Thanks for the update. just to clarify my position has nothing to do with sanctions. Plenty of businesses around the world have made decision to remove Russian based "information" without it been forced through sanctions or governmental intervention.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hi all, 

Thanks, 

Alamy

What about permitting your contributors to make their own decision by allowing an immediate opt-out of distribution to Russia and Belarus?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I wonder if the Russian individual contributors, and I believe there are many, are able to get paid by Alamy, with the sanctions that are in place with banking constraints.  

Alamy can still hold their payments until later I presume, I assume also a significant number were getting paid through a 3rd party provider, so the issue may be more accessing the funds.

I personally have no issues with independent Russian contributors being still represented by Alamy. 

I do have issues with clients not being able to pay, so this is something else Alamy has to address.  

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 2

For the past several days, a majority of the TASS submissions has this appended to the end of the caption:

"Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic."

doesn't matter who the photographer was, it's just the same thing repeated over and over again everyday i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_truth_effect 

The illusory truth effect ... is the tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.  In a 2015 study, researchers discovered that familiarity can overpower rationality and that repetitively hearing that a certain fact is wrong can affect the hearer's beliefs. Researchers attributed the illusory truth effect's impact on participants who knew the correct answer to begin with, but were persuaded to believe otherwise through the repetition of a falsehood...

Edited by sooth
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sooth said:

For the past several days, a majority of the TASS submissions has this appended to the end of the caption:

"Russia's President Putin announced his decision to launch a special military operation after considering requests from the leaders of the Donetsk People's Republic and Lugansk People's Republic."

doesn't matter who the photographer was, it's just the same thing repeated over and over again everyday i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_truth_effect 

The illusory truth effect ... is the tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeated exposure.  In a 2015 study, researchers discovered that familiarity can overpower rationality and that repetitively hearing that a certain fact is wrong can affect the hearer's beliefs. Researchers attributed the illusory truth effect's impact on participants who knew the correct answer to begin with, but were persuaded to believe otherwise through the repetition of a falsehood...

As quoted from TASS above, and also from other Russian State controlled agencies whose content isn't taken by Alamy, is purely Russian State Propaganda. I'm surprised that Alamy is carrying this in these times.

The illusory truth effect is not just related to Russian propaganda, it is regularly used in England too. This doesn't make it acceptable.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

Alamy, appreciate your response, but how long will the period of "reviewing" take? TASS are still filing propaganda. This just on the news feed this morning, 4th March "Combat units of Russian Armed Forces and Lugansk People's Republic meet in Novoaidar". Military images. Lugansk People's Republic is not recognised as an independent state by the West. Please at least amend these captions, if nothing else. 

• Like 1