February 2022 - Favourite uploads

cbimages

I'll start this month off with more bugs and spiders. I have hundreds still to process, but the weather is good so we're getting out while we can.

A tiny crab spider, I photographer her over a few days, living on and around the same little fern. She could get quite aggressive at times.

red-tipped-crab-spider-sidymella-rubrosi

Cup moth caterpillars. These little cattys have venomous spines, apparently 151 toxins in their arsenal. They can keep them inverted, and put them out if disturbed....and trust me, the sting hurts badly for hours! first shot with spines tucked away, second showing them. I found some bushes with lots of these, and intend to go back soon to shoot the pupa.
mottled-cup-moth-caterpillar-doratifera-

A docile native drone fly
golden-native-drone-fly-eristalinus-punc

• Love 2
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, cbimages said:

I'll start this month off with more bugs and spiders. I have hundreds still to process, but the weather is good so we're getting out while we can.

A tiny crab spider, I photographer her over a few days, living on and around the same little fern. She could get quite aggressive at times.

Cup moth caterpillars. These little cattys have venomous spines, apparently 151 toxins in their arsenal. They can keep them inverted, and put them out if disturbed....and trust me, the sting hurts badly for hours! first shot with spines tucked away, second showing them. I found some bushes with lots of these, and intend to go back soon to shoot the pupa.

Fantastic shots, as ever.

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2022 at 00:34, cbimages said:

Spectacular and informative. Thanks!

Kumar

• Thanks 1

More from me. A giant ant....and I mean GIANT. Hubby & I tentatively said 4cm when I was photographing it, and I found it does grow to 3.7cm, making it one of the largest ants in the world. First shot as it was hunting in the leaf litter, second is focusing more on those massive mandibles and the rather pretty face. There's also a cicada, just hatched and making its way up a blade of grass and a lovely tiny leaf beetle.

giant-bull-ant-myrmecia-brevinoda-or-myr

small-bottle-cicada-chlorocysta-vitripen

orange-oides-leaf-beetle-oides-dorsosign

• Love 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cbimages said:

More from me. A giant ant....and I mean GIANT. Hubby & I tentatively said 4cm when I was photographing it, and I found it does grow to 3.7cm, making it one of the largest ants in the world. First shot as it was hunting in the leaf litter, second is focusing more on those massive mandibles and the rather pretty face. There's also a cicada, just hatched and making its way up a blade of grass and a lovely tiny leaf beetle.

small-bottle-cicada-chlorocysta-vitripen

orange-oides-leaf-beetle-oides-dorsosign

I once was bitten on the foot by one of those dreaded bull ants, an experience I never want to repeat. For a week my foot didn't fit in my shoe.

Great shots!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I once was bitten on the foot by one of those dreaded bull ants, an experience I never want to repeat. For a week my foot didn't fit in my shoe.

Great shots!

OMG, I can't think of too many worse things! I think I'd even take a leech over a bull ant bite (but only just!). Hate those shoes full of blood!

• Thanks 1

More from me. A hoverfly feeding from a native wandering jew flower - a good bending exercise from me as the flower is about 3 inches above the ground. I was pretty happy with the shots, Although the watermark is over it, the fly's tongue is very sharp as it licks the nectar in the top photo. There's also a docile dragonfly and some shield bugs which I loaded from young nymph right through to adult, including a nice one where a nymph had just shed its exoskeleton and was a pretty lemon colour with white specks, rather than the dull brown that it will dry to.

grey-banded-hoverfly-episyrphus-sp-or-th

grey-banded-hoverfly-episyrphus-sp-or-th

blue-skimmer-dragonfly-orthetrum-caledon

eucalyptus-tip-wilter-bug-amorbus-altern

eucalyptus-tip-wilter-bug-amorbus-altern

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Carole, you have a knack for ferreting out the neatest bugs. It requires a lot of stooping to get near to the grasses I would think. I wonder if I can do that once my back has healed. Right now I’m forbidden to bend, twist or stoop. Seems like way back in the beginning I chased a few bugs, and all of those listed no-nos were involved. I loved it, though.

• Thanks 1

We were walking the dog in a country house near Bristol on Monday when, due to bad weather at their base, the local Air Ambulance helicopter was forced to land. The crew wandered off to get a coffee and then invited a group of pre school children, visiting the estate, to join them at the helicopter for an impromptu talk. The pilot led the talk and was brilliant with the children. One lad didn’t quite take it all in though as the first question was “Do you catch bad people?” “No” said the Pilot “that’s a different helicopter”    😀

2HMAKH3.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 2

On 07/02/2022 at 10:14, gvallee said:

Cape Le Grand, Western Australia

2HM3JB0.jpg

2HM3JBJ.jpg

2HM3JDW.jpg

2HM3JKH.jpg

Are those wallabies? Or young roos? I remember at a wild life farm in Brisbane, there was a mama Red, much taller than me, with a joey in her poach. She looked me in the eye saying, don't get any closer, Mr. Tourist Man. I found it totally thrilling to see a bunch of them bouncing along in the wild.

On 06/02/2022 at 12:52, Betty LaRue said:

Carole, you have a knack for ferreting out the neatest bugs. It requires a lot of stooping to get near to the grasses I would think. I wonder if I can do that once my back has healed. Right now I’m forbidden to bend, twist or stoop. Seems like way back in the beginning I chased a few bugs, and all of those listed no-nos were involved. I loved it, though.

Betty, I'll keep my fingers xx'd that one day your back will allow at least some bending. But please, don;t try too much too soon, even when you're "allowed". For me, I've always had a "bad back" after cracking a vertebrae as a teenager during judo class. That said, we started going out shooting bugs in September, and I couldn't get down very far, but over the months, constant "practice" has made it much easier and I can also open my legs further to help. That said, I do get a reasonable amount of bone pain, most of it due to the cancer meds though. I can't stoop - my 70+ year old knees will not allow me back up, but rather, just open my legs very wide and bend at the waist. My husband said he's amazed at the improvement over the months.

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Are those wallabies? Or young roos? I remember at a wild life farm in Brisbane, there was a mama Red, much taller than me, with a joey in her poach. She looked me in the eye saying, don't get any closer, Mr. Tourist Man. I found it totally thrilling to see a bunch of them bouncing along in the wild.

They look like wallabies to me but everyone refer to them as kangaroos. That doesn't make them right of course. So who knows?

You have to watch it sometimes with those roos. I once gave a bowl of water to a madly thirsty mum roo. Her joey ran away and didn't touch the bowl. I came back several times for a refill. She never said anything. Not even thank you. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, cbimages said:

Another small upload from me
A Robber Fly, a gorgeous Eucalyptus Leaf Beetle, A well behaved dragonfly, and a rather attractive native cockroach.

robber-fly-genus-ommatius-sp-coffs-harbo

variole-paropsine-beetle-paropsis-variol

fiery-skimmer-dragonfly-orthetrum-villos

probably-see-through-ellipsidion-cockroa

Robber flies always look like they’re wearing a backpack! ☺️ Like your bugs.

On 09/02/2022 at 15:24, cbimages said:

Betty, I'll keep my fingers xx'd that one day your back will allow at least some bending. But please, don;t try too much too soon, even when you're "allowed". For me, I've always had a "bad back" after cracking a vertebrae as a teenager during judo class. That said, we started going out shooting bugs in September, and I couldn't get down very far, but over the months, constant "practice" has made it much easier and I can also open my legs further to help. That said, I do get a reasonable amount of bone pain, most of it due to the cancer meds though. I can't stoop - my 70+ year old knees will not allow me back up, but rather, just open my legs very wide and bend at the waist. My husband said he's amazed at the improvement over the months.

That shows your determination to find a way. You are my idol.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That shows your determination to find a way. You are my idol.

Aw Betty. thanks. You are a very strong lady too, you'll get past what is happening now, and will start getting back to some kind of normal soon. You have been through hell recently and are coming out the other side with some sense of humour and fighting spirit.

I hope it's OK to tell you, but I saw my oncologist last Monday. She has ordered a PET scan for next month (a wait because of a backlog caused by covid) but my bloods showed a decrease in my breast cancer marker. Down from 350 in mid December to 125. She is hopeful the tumours may have slowed/stopped or possibly shrunk with the treatment. I only just made it to the full dose of meds, because of my reaction/side effects, so the benefit has come from a 1/4 or 1/2 dose mainly. I am now taking fthe full daily dose, but experiencing terrible bone pain and she's told me to cut back if it doesn't settle soon. She's hopeful I'll get a few months benefit from this treatment, before we have to bring out the "big gun" treatments.

• Like 3